1. Health

From BLUESLADY02: "What meds are you on or have you tried in the past?"

• A Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI)?
  • A Tricyclic?
  • A Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor (MAOI)?
  • A newer medication that doesn't fit in these classes (e.g. Wellbutrin, Effexor or Remeron)?
  • A combination of medications?

Related Articles:

Comments
August 16, 2012 at 5:54 pm
(1) Sabrina says:

Hi, I have been on this now for two years after loosing my nan an having post natal depression. I have Reyes so hard this week to come off them an I feel crapy! I feel so emotional that I cry when someone says hello. I know what I mean by vibrations an fireworks in the head. I have been having very vivid an realistic dreams. I just feel so crap an like I’m about to have a nervous break down. I don’t want to have to rely on these drug but know I probably won’t have a choice. I haven’t dealt with any of the reasons I’m on them in the 1st place. I really don’t know what to do about going back on them but I can’t cope like this xx

November 9, 2012 at 4:01 pm
(2) bloosky says:

My doctor started me on Prozac and later tried me on Wellbutrin when Prozac stopped working as well for me. I also tried trazodone (tricyclic?) in the hopes that one of its side effects (drowsiness) would help me sleep. Oh, I also a combination at one point combining Prozac with Buspar. So, I guess I fit most of the categories except for MAOIs. I don’t think I would care too much for those if you have to watch what you eat so closely.

November 10, 2012 at 8:48 am
(3) Hannah says:

I’m currently on Effexor, Wellbutrin, Abilify, and Trazodone (for sleep). This combo finally worked for me! I’ve been on them for at least 2 years. SSRIs all gave me akathesia (like restless legs only all over the body).

November 11, 2012 at 11:21 pm
(4) shanna says:

My doc has me on a combination of zoloft, abilify, and klonipin. i take that for my social anxiety and panic attacks. i was diagnosed clinically with ptsd and im a classic case. dissociation and hypervigilence. scary stuff. the benzos help a little, but its highly addicting. coming off of it aint no joke with possibilitues of seizures and frightening auditory hallucenations. i wish i could go through life without taking anything, but the abilify really does seem to help. i just ran out of zoloft..and im a little afraid of whats to cone until i get my script filled.

November 14, 2012 at 3:46 am
(5) Suzy says:

I’ve been on the same cocktail of meds. When I first got sick, back in 1987, there was no such thing as Prozac. I think that came out one year later. I’m now on: Prozac, Wellbutrin and Klonopin.

November 14, 2012 at 4:28 am
(6) lisa says:

i have tried lexapro, then zoloft and now effexor. Hard to say if effexor is better or my depression is not as bad now. I have tried to come off many times but it is still there and i go back on them :(

November 14, 2012 at 5:19 am
(7) Al barnhart says:

Ive had anxiety and depression as long as i can remeber.When in my teens,drank beer with the boys,felt normal,like I should feel,or wanted to feel.But as in all good things,they turn on you,and cause more problems.So prayed enough where God took that desire away,I was stuck in limbo.It all came back with a vengence.So went to a counselor,put me on all kinds of meds and combinations.My body didnt handle the side affects and I had to quit them.tried prozac,thought i was going crazy,zoloft worked for awhile,but was angry and irritable all the time.Wellbutin didnt work,effexor raised my blood pressure,lexapro did nothing,plus he had me on kolonpine and others,I was a mess,seroquel helped my insomnia ,but coulndt concentrate.was running cnc machinist machinery,have to stay sharp for that.So now Im on a low dose of xanax,I dont take it very often,but just having it there is a comfort,even if I dont take it.Im careful with it cause dont need another addiction.Panic attacks are worse for me than the depression,at least you can eat and sleep,lol.I decided to take care of the worse evil for me,witch is anxiety and panic attacks.I still have my high and low points,seems to work in a cycle.Wish there was a magic pill to take care of both and function normally,but havent found it yet,and afraid to start something new and it not work or compound things.Im not happy and not too sad,so im just trying to live with it.Hard at times.I go to work and spend the day alone,everyday is the same,except my bowling league,which gets me out among people and a bit of normalty.,lol,But know there is alot more out there,not giving up hope,just wish there was an answer.I know im not alone in these feelings and pray for all of us.If someone would loke to talk about it,lat me know.Always looking for answers

November 14, 2012 at 5:20 am
(8) Karen says:

I have tried Lexapro, which was a nightmare for me and then Effexor for about a year and a half, along with Xanax. Effexor had some creepy side effects and I felt like a burnt-out shell with no emotions and made me feel extremly spaced-out. But, I continued to take it because it was the only thing that made me able to function at my high-stress job. Finally I decided I’d had enough of not getting any joy out of anything so I came off it, but continued to take the Xanax. A few months later I was back at the doctor, who put me on Cymbalta and Klonopin. This seems to work for me, at least I can laugh again and am not so socially-avoidant. I was like a recluse before. I tried, with my doctor’s help, to wean myself off the Cymbalta but eventually the symptoms returned so I had to go back on it.

November 14, 2012 at 6:03 am
(9) gail says:

I’ve been on tabs for a long while now. my marriage was bad and everything since then has compounded so i cant seem to see past my own eys. i have blurred vision, panic attacks, lack of concentration, feelings of being spaced out, sleeplessness, I could go on… if i take the tabs the crying is less and the panic isnt so terryfying, but instead of everything showing on the outside, I feel it on the inside. if i go along steadily i can cope. my son helps a lot, he has taken over the finances and stuff like that. i just cant deal with it. been on lots of tabs. some make me zombie like, others dont do much. they have all made me gain weight, so frustrating and depressing. i would love to sleep properly. cipralux, wasnt good, made me too tired but couldnt sleep. on venlafaxine now. have those restless legs. still cant sleep but nightmares are less. do have very vivid dreams though. thoughts whirring around all night. nothing sorted and no one wants to know…
the one thing that keeps me going and fuels my life is Jesus. without Him there would be nothing. amid all the grot, He adds a sparkle.

November 14, 2012 at 6:13 am
(10) Patricia says:

I have been on every class of medication for Treatment Resistant Depression for about 14 years. I take a medication until it stops working then I’m on to the next. My last stop is now MAOI’s and after this who know’s what is next. I now take Topamax and Emsam. This seems to be the right combination for the time being.

November 14, 2012 at 6:35 am
(11) Billie says:

I am on a ‘cocktail’ of Abilify, prozac, and welbutrin. Have been stable for over 2 years now. I still have trouble sleeping though and am also on Ativan for anxiety as I also have PTSD.

November 14, 2012 at 8:11 am
(12) Meg says:

Ok, over the last 18 years i’ve been on….Prozac, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Buspar, Lamictal, Geodon, Vybriid, Deplin, lonopin,trazodone
Cymbalta. Several more that I am sure I forgot.

November 14, 2012 at 9:31 am
(13) Kim says:

When I started on antidepressant about 14 years ago I was on Serzone, after awhile it wasn’t working like it should anymore even with a up in dose. So then I started on Effexor XR and am still on it….right now I’m only taking 150 mg, at one time I need a bigger dose but the Effexor was to expensive so my doctor put me on 15 mg of Paxil….I still have alot of ups and downs and I feel like I would rather be by myself than deal with alot of other ppl….I like being around other people, but I am not overly social….I used to be….just don’t now….some people have really started irritating me…don’t know if it’s because I am older or because of meds, or because I have noticed that some people never manage to quit hurting others….For now I am staying on what I have…

November 14, 2012 at 10:09 am
(14) Janet says:

I first tried Celexa after having brain surgery with complications. I felt nothing at all~like I was dead and just walking around in a shell of a body! Then I tried Lexapro and have been on that for almost 10 years. Seems to work well except I am feel a little slow in the emotional department. Like when I watch a sad movie or hear a sad story…I used to cry at the drop of a hat but now, hardly a tear. I hope to gradually be able to taper off of ant-depressants someday!

November 14, 2012 at 10:24 am
(15) John says:

I have been on every anti-depressant that has been on the market. Some have worked for a while, some not at all. Have tried all kinds of ” Cocktails” mix of different meds, but to no results. Have gone through every side effects from mild to severe, including alot of weight gain. Going back on meds that worked for a little while, even though the side effects are nasty. I guess its better than being a person that friends & family would rather not be around, always being a downer and never happy ! I hope & pray for a miracle med. that would stay working with few side effects.

November 14, 2012 at 10:30 am
(16) Charlie says:

ADD & depression, depression 0-57 years. Severe depression ‘How often do you think about suicide?’ ’3-4 times per hour.’ Took lots of risks and somehow survived. Lots of employment and school problems. relationships. Ha. ‘Ordinary’ genius top 2% no focus.

Tobacco late teens through heart attack at 47.

Alcohol age 15-22 when I decided neither I nor anyone else liked me drunk.

Marijuana 19-57 with annual 30 day breaks and occasional years off.

Caffeine in high dosages (Coke) 12+ cans per day for decades until they changed the formulation in the ’80′s.

Tried cocaine in the ’80′s, seemed to have no real effect (proof that I was ADD probably.) Meth once. Stayed up 36 hours, liked it so much I vowed never to go near it again.

Diagnosed in mid-20′s ‘depressive with narcissistic tendencies. 14 years talk therapy (diagnosed just before ADD was recognized in adults, narcissism was considered ‘untreatable.’ Diagnosis was wrong. Narcissists lack empathy.

At 42 I started Prozac. Was unemployed & deep depression. 3 days later I was looking for work, within a week I had a job withing 6 months I had a job that fit my qualifications.

2010-11 diagnosed with adult ADD. Started adding.bupropion was a huge, nearly fatal mistake. Caused deep depression, eventually balance problems and hallucinations…mostly unable to care for myself for the year I was on it, resigned to death.

Currently on Prozac some marijuana occasionally, but still marginal, very depressed and still searching. No tobacco, Very occasionally (3-6 times per year) alcohol, one drink (Prozac, the drink enhancer!)

I routinely consider electro-shock(ECT), but I’m hoping for the next generation of more specific and targeted laser stimulation procedures to become available.

I eat high cacao percentage chocolate in what might be considered medicinal quantities too.

November 14, 2012 at 11:56 am
(17) Rebecca says:

I have Bipolar with crippling depression. I have been on nearly every med out there. My current cocktail consists of Lamictal, Abilify and Nortripyline. I am also weaning off of Paxil. Seems to be working but my anxiety level is too much to deal with. Also, I don’t drink, smoke or use illegal drugs.

November 14, 2012 at 1:09 pm
(18) Courtney says:

Currently on Effexor, Wellbutrin, Xanax, Geodon, and Depocote(?). Losing my Mom 10 years ago is what brought about the depression, although there were symptoms of it while growing up. So far this combination seems to be working.

I just want to be “comfortably numb.”

November 14, 2012 at 3:19 pm
(19) Bob says:

I am currently taking Cymbalta and Ziibrid, which help a lot. But to be honest, Hydrocodone worked the best. Too bad it’s getting such a bad reputation.

November 14, 2012 at 6:13 pm
(20) Vicki says:

I’ve been depressed for a long time, and have free-floating anxiety, as well as PTSD.
I’ve been on many different meds. Prozac worked a little bit. Zoloft, not much. Wellbutrin with Xanax worked for about 5 years, but now that I’m on Cymbalta/Xanax, I realize that I was still depressed whiole taking Wellbutrine. I took Seroquel, and got all of the bad side-effects. The weight gain, high blood pressure, high blood sugar, and high blood cholesterol made me more depressed. Since I’ve been on Cymbalta, I can sleep at night…no more pain waking me up. I’ve lost over 20 pounds, and am working out every day (water aerobics) for the first time in over 6 years.
Medication alone doesn’t work. Ninety-eight percent of patients have baggage that requires that they get counseling. I now go to a counselor and have a formal support group. I go to meetings every week. It also has helped me to make friends and stop feeling all alone.
You aren’t alone out there. Just reach out there and you’ll find that many people have the same feelings and needs that you do.
God bless and help you all as much as He has helped me.
Look up Isaah 63: 9
In all their distress he too was distressed,
and the angel of his presence saved them.
In his love and mercy he redeemed them;
he lifted them up and carried them
all the days of old.

November 14, 2012 at 6:19 pm
(21) Vicki says:

To Al Barnhart:
I believe you need to go back to your psychiatrist.

What you describe sounds like bi-polar with anxiety. I have many friends who have this, and they way they say they feel sounds just like you.

Please consider going to the psychiatrist, getting a counselor, and going to support groups so you can get advice on how to handle your daily problems.
Best wishes,
Vicki

November 14, 2012 at 6:26 pm
(22) Barb says:

Lithium, Lamotrigne (Lactimal), Valproic Acid, Stelizine – rapid cycling bipolar. It’s kinda working.

I’ve been on at least 20 other options in the last 4 years.

November 15, 2012 at 3:27 pm
(23) trish says:

I have been on probably most antidepressants in the past 30 or so years
The past 7 years I have been on Efexor 150mg, plus Epilim 1200 per day. I also take Endepp which helps me sleep, and a dozen other meds for other ailments, My biggest problem now is in 7 years I have put on over 40kg. Im am caught between a rock and a hard place.
.I am currently the best I have been in my entire life, but I put that down to my wonderful psychiatrist who I have seen on a weekly bases for 7 years.

January 25, 2013 at 12:40 am
(24) Justin says:

Like most of you i have had to deal with depression for many
years. When it comes to pills i can say- been there done that-.
SO many it’s sad. God knows what my brain looks like.

But then i found a drug that works.
It’s called SUBOXONE.
My doctor was willing to try it even though it is used for treating
drug addiction . I have been on it for 2 years and it works
like magic.

Two things if you want to try SUBOXONE.
You will have to search hard to find a doc who will prescribe it
for depression, it’s a off lable use.
The other thing about SUBOXONE is it is very expensive-
two hundred dollars or more for 30 8mg pills
There is now a generic called BUPRENORPHIN that
costs a little over one hundred dollars- at k-mart- ask to be
put on a special plan k-mart does.

Try SUBOXONE if nothing else works.
I feel happy oh so happy
One more thing- there are some clinical trials going on
in atlanta and other cities testing SUBOXONE for depression.
YOU may get the med for free if you join the trial.