September 11, 2013 marks the 12th anniversary of a series of terrorist attacks that our nation will never forget. While some have moved forward and recovered from the trauma that occurred on this date, many, especially those who lived in New York City and were in close proximity to the attacks, are still dealing with the fallout of these horrific events. The anniversary date in particular is a time which may be triggering to many. This effect, called the Anniversary Effect, is not unusual for those who have experienced a traumatic event in their lives and may be a time when you experience a resurgence in the symptoms of anxiety, grief or depression that you may have felt that you had already conquered.
Some coping tips which may help you to cope with the 9/11 anniversary:
- Be aware that you may have a strong emotional reaction around the time of the anniversary.
- Take care of yourself by eating well, exercising and getting plenty of rest.
- Talk about your feelings with friends, family or a counselor.
- Do something special to mark the date, such as attending a memorial.
- Don't hesitate to seek professional help if you need extra assistance in dealing with your feelings.