1. Health

Nancy Schimelpfening

What Kind of Gift Should You Buy for Someone With Depression?

By December 23, 2013

Are you shopping for someone this year who is going through a hard time with depression?  While you may have the urge to buy them something that will cheer them up it may be better to concentrate on what will provide them with stress relief and physical comfort.    For example, are they dealing with financial problems because their illness makes it difficult for them to work?  In this case, a gift of cash would provide welcome relief from the high stress levels that maybe exacerbating their depression.  And, a good book and a warm pair of pajamas might be just the ticket for the physical comfort that they are craving.

To get further ideas,  I polled our members to see what they thought would make a thoughtful and comforting gift for someone who wasn't feeling well during the holiday season.  Here are some of the answers they gave.  If you have ideas that you'd like to share, please leave them below in the comments section.

Related Articles:

Comments
December 22, 2010 at 4:11 am
(1) Peggy says:

These are all great ideas- but for the really depressed, be careful when adopting a rescued animal. They can be needy, and have significant behavioral problems. Sometimes when you are depressed, the last thing you need is stress from an animal that is having a hard time adjusting. This would not be true in all cases, but it is something to consider.

December 22, 2010 at 11:56 am
(2) Hope says:

Good point.

December 22, 2010 at 10:05 pm
(3) Aussie dream girl says:

Hi

After 7 Christmases being shared with depression I think the best gift you can give is to love and understand the depressed person – be there and generate so much joy that it will rub off.

The only gift I ever want from my children is to see them all together on the day and share Christmas Eve at Church.
Bless you all.

December 23, 2010 at 7:49 am
(4) john says:

I would second Peggy’s comments, while having a pet is a wonderful thing, it also brings extra responsibility.

December 21, 2011 at 11:27 pm
(5) Some guy says:

I’d hate to receive flowers. What a stupid, useless gift.

November 29, 2013 at 12:44 am
(6) heather says:

When I am depressed I am always looking for something that will get me out of the house. I would recommend gift certificates to a restaurant or movies or a show…something worth getting out of the house for.

December 4, 2013 at 8:31 am
(7) Kdabbaschild says:

I agree with Peggy and John. I suffer from clinical depression. I would love to,have a dog again, but I just don’t have the energy to take care of one.

December 4, 2013 at 7:59 pm
(8) Jean Gotfredson says:

As a person who has struggled with depression my whole life, I think an encouraging book from someone who has “been there” is the best gift one can give. I found the following book by Richard Rybolt – “75 ways to beat Depression” to be a lifesaver. It comes in paperback and is available on Amazon.Com.

December 4, 2013 at 11:56 pm
(9) Kate says:

Just sitting quietly with a depressed friend who doesn’t have the energy for anything else. Hot chocolate always helps too.
A message is very nice for those who are able to go out, it’s a great way to help them relax.

December 5, 2013 at 2:03 am
(10) Suzy says:

I’m assuming that whomever I give this to is someone I care deeply about. I think there should be different gifts for a man and then for a woman.

If it were my bff and I knew she had been depressed near Christmas, I think it would be some kind of a gift bag, with a bunch of little goodies. i.e., 1 or 2 massage gift card, a selection of sample sized chocolates, a couple of after- dinner nips, and a few other classy but inexpensive items I’d throw into the gift bag….

December 22, 2013 at 10:50 pm
(11) Dutchgala says:

A KITTY!!! Major clinical depression plus…a puppy is not a choice. Not even an option. However, a “therapy” Cat is. Just gotta clean my aprtment up (nice incentive!) and…kitty cat, next month. Therapist highly seconds that idea.
Having chronic clinical dep. and gen anx dis with agoraphobia…. A kitty needs me as well.
I’ve been doing “Better” this year. I will I will continue to this year. That hope/belief is a gift to be shared. I share~~~~ xoxo.