1. Health

Nancy Schimelpfening

Hypothyroidism and Depression

By March 30, 2014

If you've been feeling tired and depressed you may think you have depression, but did you know that hypothyroidism can mimic the symptoms of depression?  This disease, in which the thyroid gland fails to produce adequate amounts of thyroid hormone, can cause symptoms similar to depression, such as tiredness, sleepiness, slowed speech, apathy and a loss of interest in persona relationships.  Before seeking treatment for depression,  it is a good idea to visit your family doctor for a checkup.  He can perform tests for hypothyroidism as well as other medical illnesses which may present with symptoms similar to depression.

Comments
June 4, 2008 at 7:06 pm
(1) Liz says:

“Know the possible effects of what you are taking”
I was given Lithium, as a mood stabiliser, increasing in dose over weeks to 800mg, as well as my anti depressant. Unknowingly to me the Lithium effected my thyroid which began to under produce.It appeared my ‘depression’ was getting worse so my antidepressant drug was doubled. Due to all three causes I put on 50lbs over 3 months, by now I really was seriously depressed. I decided to come off all meds without discussion with my psychiatrist (not a good idea, but that’s another story) Three weeks later I felt well enough to go back to the doc and start again, but this time instead of Lithium I was given another mood stabiliser. My thyroid level returned to normal after a further 2 months.

May 13, 2009 at 2:02 pm
(2) Jean says:

I wonder if you might tell me what drug you were changed to.

I started out with hyperthyroidism and now am very close to hypothyroidism. I take Lexapro daily, but still feel depressed.

May 19, 2009 at 11:42 am
(3) Gill Vandergraaf says:

I feel tired sad and depressed. I don’t know what to do.

February 20, 2010 at 12:23 am
(4) Marcus says:

Thanks for your post. I have seen a number of estimates that set the amount of individuals round the world suffering from hypothyroidism-induced-depression as high as 21 million. Furthermore they further estimate that many of these people do not link this depression to depleted T3 and T4 levels.

April 3, 2013 at 1:29 pm
(5) MK Gilbert says:

I’ve been taking thyroid med and anti-depressants for over `15 yrs now, and have continued to get much worse~too much stress, I guess, which I don’t handle well. Have never noticed a difference with the synthroid~but can’t survive without the cymbalta~any other meds just seem to aggravate my symptoms, tho, making me more agitated/depressed/anxious.

April 3, 2013 at 2:32 pm
(6) Paul says:

I am on so many medications now I can’t afford to pay for them, even with my benefits from my employer.

April 3, 2013 at 9:26 pm
(7) sue says:

After six months of thyroid meds for hypothyroidism I am feeling almost back to normal and my level is 1 which it needs to be. I was over 6 and blood tests say 3 is normal – it is not. Vitamin d deficient with osterosporosis now. On top of fibromyalgia/cfs and other vitamin deficiencies.

Talk about depression. Be careful of too much medicine counteracting each other and only take what is life-saving. Zoloft works for me and a small amount of buspar only when really anxious but everyone is different.

Exercise definitely helps depression but it is a catch22 with health limiting issues.

April 25, 2013 at 1:32 pm
(8) Hugh says:

Hypothyroidism can be very confusing to treat but please remeber that maintaining a healthy diet in which targets the many symptoms of hypothyroidism can have an amazingly postive effect.

It is also important to try natural remedies which have in many cases helped sufferers regain their health back with no side effects.

while its important that you see a doctor and follow their guidance, please dont ignore the simple treatments like following a healthy diet and the natural therapies that exist.

April 26, 2013 at 6:56 pm
(9) Lisa says:

I can’t believe I stumbled across this. This is exactly what happened to me. I was so depressed that I wasn’t even getting out of bed some days and had some blood work done and found out that my thyroid had stopped functioning. My doctor has put me on some thyroid medicine and gradually I’m getting better. I started thinking” How much more depressed can I get?” I will be glad when I feel like my old self again, it’s been so long, I’ve about forgotten what that feels like. Thanks for sharing!!

April 14, 2014 at 1:03 am
(10) Diana says:

I wish I had known this years ago. I was told I was depressed for many years because of the most common symptoms of depression. I had multiple other thyroid-related symptoms such as puffy face, eyes, hands, and feet, hoarseness, horrible periods, dry hair, and constipation. My thyroid was never tested. I was given anti-depressants. They NEVER worked. The ONLY thing that worked for me was finally getting on Armour Thyroid. I haven’t felt depressed at all since my TSH levels normalized. I am so angry about all the wasted years of taking terrible anti-depressants that made me sick and made me manic. F***K DSM IV, V and any other version of it.