While Zoloft is generally considered to be a safe medication, there are certain warnings and precautions that you should observe in its use.
If you are taking Zoloft or your doctor is considering prescribing it for you, these are some of the warnings and precautions to keep in mind:
- You may be screened for bipolar disorder and monitored for any signs of mania or hypomania while taking Zoloft.
- Tell your doctor if you have a history of seizures, as this may affect whether or not he considers Zoloft the best choice for you.
- Zoloft may increase the risk of abnormal bleeding, especially if used with other drugs that affect blood clotting.
- Abnormally low levels of sodium in the blood may occur with Zoloft.
- Use caution when operating machinery.
- Avoid alcohol while taking Zoloft.
- Zoloft may suppress appetite, leading to undesirable weight loss.
Medication Guide. Pfizer, Inc. Accessed: Jan. 27, 2010. http://www.zoloft.com