1. Health

Nancy Schimelpfening

Pete Wentz Admits He Has Bipolar Disorder

By August 7, 2007

In an interview with Q magazine, Fall Out Boy bassist and songwriter Pete Wentz revealed that he has bipolar disorder.

Wentz told the magazine: "I have manic depression. I obsess over everything. When I am depressed, I can't get out of bed. But right now, it's sunny and 65 in my head, so it's OK!"

The 28-year-old musician said he has been on medication since he was 18. "I am on anti-anxiety medicine," said Wentz. "The technical term is Lorazepam. I am supposed to be on antidepressants but I think it's part of my neuroses that I don't take them."

He also revealed that his parents' breakup on his sixth birthday left him unable to express his feelings. "I turned my emotions off like a faucet. I didn't cry until I was, like, 22."

The interview appears in the current issue of the UK music magazine.

Related Article:

Comments
April 10, 2008 at 12:49 pm
(1) margy says:

=( hes so cute and i feel so bad about what he has to go through!

April 11, 2008 at 2:20 pm
(2) Natalie [Wentz] says:

poor guy who woulda thought… :(
i almost cried! im like in love with him…

August 18, 2008 at 11:49 pm
(3) Amy Smith says:

Hi Pete, I am a 42 year old mother of two. I too have been on medication on and off for 24 years. It is a difficult illness to have. You obviously are very talented, and creative. I just wanted to commend you on being open to talking about your diagnoses. I am certain you have helped young people get help, because of being open and real. Take care. Amy

September 19, 2008 at 11:11 am
(4) mary says:

i never would have guessed he was bipolar.this man is brave i thank him for sharing & it does make me think its alright to get help & nothing to be ashamed of .

December 4, 2008 at 2:35 am
(5) Bobby Corwen says:

I wish he would further his topic on his experience with Bipolar Disorder…I know it might have been uncomfortable going further right to the embarrassing details and such. It’d be rude to ask further…but I want to make sure I don’t have this disorder…and hopefully it is just Cyclothymia.

May 5, 2010 at 10:17 am
(6) sam says:

Peter Lewis Kingston Wentz is super hot i feal bad that he suffers from deperssion

May 28, 2010 at 4:45 pm
(7) Ashley says:

I understand what Pete has to go through. I was recently diagnosed (about a year and a half ago) with bipolar disorder. I am currently taking Lithium to help with the manic and depressive phases that I go through. Bipolar disorder often times interferes with daily life if not taken care of. So I understand what he is going through.

June 8, 2010 at 2:58 am
(8) Brian says:

Pete Wentz-
You’re not alone, not by any means. I was in a hospital for bipolar when I was a kid and on meds. Glad you let it out. Not easy. Ever and I thank you. Hats off and props Wentz. Keep strumming your e-bass full-tilt and don’t ever stop even if your fingers start to bleed. If that happens…slap harder.
-Brian

July 2, 2012 at 2:43 am
(9) bryanna says:

Im like in love wit him i Never woulda thought that its sad wat he has to go through I wanna cry but I think he’s strong and can make it through this :’(