1. Health

Nancy Schimelpfening

Drew Carey Speaks About His Depression and Suicide Attempts

By September 26, 2007

In an interview with Access Hollywood's Nancy O'Dell, comedian and new host of The Price Is Right Drew Carey revealed a darker side of himself. I was depressed for a long time, said Carey. So depressed that at the age of 18 and again in his 20's he attempted to take his own life by overdosing on pills.

Speaking of the stigma of the disease, Carey said, Living in Hollywood, you can get disconnected from everybody. You can feel like you are the only one. So you feel it, you hold it in and you dont let it go and you dont try to find help because you think, 'Oh man if I tell anybody, Im going to seem like Im weak. I wont get a movie deal. I wont get invited to' whatever goes through your head.

When asked about Owen Wilson's recent suicide attempt, Carey replied, Its going to sound cold, but I wasnt reading the paper going 'Oh poor guy.' I was thinking, I hope hes learning what he is supposed to be learning from this whole experience and not wasting the opportunity to learn.

Speaking about how he overcame his depression, Carey said, I learned how to believe in myself. Learned how to set goals, you know, self help books, man. I just read every single one I can get a hold of and I still do. I read that stuff all the time still. I am always coming out bigger, better, stronger and happier.

Related Article:

Comments
September 30, 2007 at 6:57 pm
(1) liz says:

wot a loser. he confessed he had depression then goes on all stuck up.get a life

October 3, 2007 at 9:42 am
(2) mary says:

As someone who has suffered from depression and suicidal thoughts, I understand what Carey was trying to express. That said, I think he could remember better his own, hard, dark path and would know that “tough love” comments at this juncture standing alone may not be the most helpful thing for Wilson.

Yes, you must take charge of your depression. I liken it myself to how an alcoholic deals with drinking–I don’t allow myself one dark thought. If I find myself beginning to wallow in the dark, I figuratively slap myself awake and march on out of that corner. But I don’t think you get to the place Carey is or I am by people trying to make you feel guilty or bad about your situation.

So I would say to Carey, “show a little more empathy with your “lessons” or keep quiet”.

October 3, 2007 at 10:32 am
(3) Lorrie says:

I know he wasn’t trying to be cold or heartless. My whole family suffers from depression and no one would acknowledge it until my sister committed suicide at the age of 23. I always knew I had depression. I seriously considered suicide twice – in my early 20s and again after my sister died. It still took another year before I could go to a doctor and seek help. What Drew is trying to say is this is a wake up call for Owen. A time to say “enough, I need help.” What was so surprising to me is the help is out there. People want to help – Doctors want to help. And life is worth it.

October 3, 2007 at 12:47 pm
(4) pher says:

i have suffered from wicked suicidal and paralyzing depression. i’m not out of the woods yet. there is a point where you hit bottom so hard and even then there is no guarantee that you will get out of it alive. i’m sorry drew said that about owen. one thing that i have learned is that everyone’s journey is DIFFERENT. in light of what drew said i hope that in some way, if owen even cares what he said, there might be a smidgin of value. i don’t envy anyone with this disease. it needs to acknowledged as a full fledged fatal disease to ease the stigma and then individuals will come forth more likely before killing the wrong person. that’s my take.
pher

October 3, 2007 at 2:17 pm
(5) Mark says:

I have suffered for years, if you haven’t been there you don’t know how to explain it. He could have used a little more tact. Just like all the reporters wondering how his career would be affected when they should have been worried about how he was going to get out of the tailspin. There is a stigma with the disease because of a lack of understanding. When you are in the midst of the hole, it is easy to point fingers from the outside.

October 4, 2007 at 7:54 pm
(6) Nim says:

As someone who recently tied for the second time like Drew Carey by overdosing, I think I understand what he meant. Sometimes we think if tell anyone how bad we are feeling mental health wise as an intellectual usually fully functioning person u tend to think if I tell or try reaching out people won’t wana know me or hire me, but people do understand an sometimes its a silent secret illness and its better to reach out if u can b4 u sink that low. Thats what I gathered Drew was trying to Express, albeit badly, I’m sure he does have sympathy for Owen Wilson. Its a manageable illness albeit an uphill climb but those hills can be slippery little bastards altho reachable sometimes u gota sink to the lowest to climb back up stronger!

October 4, 2007 at 10:20 pm
(7) Karen Twardowski says:

I also have suffered from depression for many years. Been in many dark places I hope I don’t go to again. I think I understand what Drew was trying to say to Owen. I don’t think he was callous, cold, or uncaring. He’s telling Owen to own his depression. Because you are the only person who can get you out and through the depression. You have something to learn about yourself. Probaly to love yourself. Depression is a long, maybe never ending journey, and we have a lot of lessons to learn in it.

October 6, 2007 at 8:32 am
(8) Nancy Bethe says:

As a person who has suffered from Major Depression for twenty years, having been on more than 20 different medications plus shock treatment, I feel that quite possibly Carey did not, in fact, reach or can understand the undescribable lows many of us have had and are still going through. Thousands of depressives are “medication resistant. My last session with this killer disease lasted 2-1/2 years. There was no book reading, worrying about being invited to parties, much less getting a job. It is a huge event to simply get out of bed. It is absolutely impossible to try to “fool” anyone when you are in that condition nor do you care what others think. After the shock therapy failed, God bless my psychiatrist who realized that I was treatment resistant and put me on a much higher dose of the last ditch drugs called MAOI’s than what is recommended and brought me out of it. I have an entire “library” of excellent books on depression, and went through private therapy for over 12 years, but the bottom line is if you are a major depressive or bi-polar, it has been proven that it’s a chemical imbalance in the brain – no book or attitude adjustment is going to bring you out of this living hell and to suggest otherwise, I believe, is a sign of ignorance on the part of Carey. I acknowledge and understand that there are several steps on the ladder of depression beginning with those who are there because of attitude, circumstances in the life etc. I’m happy for those who are able to turn their lives around through education and methods that require hard work on their part. I’m certainly not denying that they have a serious problem and can and should be proud of themselves if they can pull themselves out of that darkness. However I think Carey definitely needs more education and empathy for those who are obviously much higher on that ladder who unquestionably are totally unable to help themselves. He may not have meant it that way, but I feel his remarks were a slap in the face.

October 6, 2007 at 8:52 am
(9) ANG says:

well, as a person who is not now medicated (guess I should be)for past depression…I learned from him to back your ears, read up on what to do, and dont stay in your on self-pity. Also, dont be ashamed or humiliated..GET SOME HELP!
My husband still sees my suicide attempt as a mental problem and a weakness…it did put a wall up…he never wants to deal with it or talk about about it…says now I am a head case or am “mental”, we are still together but their is NO SUPPORT what so ever,,,guess cause he doesn’t understand…we need to educate everyone around us….even my cousin says mind over matter, walk, think posotive, act positive, and stay away from medicine…guess that is why I stopped taking my meds.

October 7, 2007 at 8:51 pm
(10) sk says:

even if you do ask for help, how many people out there would be willing to help you. Most people don’t understsnd ‘Depression’ and that is what makes it worse.

December 1, 2009 at 12:19 am
(11) bobby says:

hey liz apparently you dont know the first thing about depression research before you start talkin crap about someone else i know alot of people with depression n when they know famous people that come clean n say they have a mental disorder they dont feel like the only one get a life

April 19, 2010 at 11:28 am
(12) cc says:

No one is a “loser” for saying that they suffer from depression.

September 20, 2010 at 10:15 pm
(13) cj says:

Everyone handles it differently. Everyone’s the critic just because he actually has a life now. I’ve fought depression too. And yeah, I read all the self-help and affirmations and stuff cuz it helps me to cope. I have also come to realize that it’s true-your thoughts become your reality. I choose to think positive and attract a much happier, calmer, and upbeat life. I start each day with gratitude and I repeat it all day long. What I am reflects out into the world so here is to the positive things in life no matter how dark it may get at times.

November 29, 2010 at 9:04 am
(14) keara says:

just becus he was depressed does not mean he was a loser. everyone gets dpressed every you liz so please dont call some one who was depressed a loser..

December 7, 2011 at 11:36 pm
(15) Anonymous says:

I started writing a really brutal offensive post but yeah depression sucks man, Anonymous gets depressed too.

January 30, 2012 at 11:50 am
(16) Michele says:

I think depression is ‘of the devil’, and prayer is the answer, in my opinion.

April 17, 2013 at 9:45 am
(17) dominick virgilio says:

i am a christian vegan for 27 years and have been struggling with depression for the last 8 years, have been off medication, cymbata, zyprexa for 7 years, be carefull of weight gain with zprexa i went from 140lbs to 210lbs with out realizing it, it help my depression and got off but the weight stayed, i went on a 51 day water and juice fast and eating very little and exercise i am back to 140lbs but the depresson is back, i take plenty of herbs to fight it, but maybe need to get back on meds,i don’t want to for fear of weight gain,depression also can be cause by to much focussing on being succesful, this world does not satisfy, keep things in your life ballanced, the spiritual person must come first if you want to be truly happy, strict diet, exercise, fresh air, water, sunshine, deep breathing, prayer meditation all help!

October 22, 2013 at 9:25 pm
(18) Lina says:

I’m a 47 year old mother of 2 sons. My 18 year old has had to deal with depression since I can remember. I know he tends to worry for everything, so he makes his life harder for himself. He’s been on prosaic for 3 weeks now. I pray to God that it will give him the help he needs. My son has a “Big” heart & he is good in school. I sometimes wonder if I had or have anything to do with his problems. I’ve had 2 brain rumors removed & now I have a seizure disorder. I read about your father. I just wondered if that could of been some cause of your depression. God Bless you,Sir