1. Health

Nancy Schimelpfening

Can Singulair Cause Depression?

By April 1, 2008

On March 27 the FDA issued a safety alert regarding the asthma medication Singulair (montelukast). The alert was issued in order to inform healthcare professionals and patients about the agency's investigation into the possible link between Singulair use and depression and suicidality.

During clinical trials, depression was not reported as a side effect, however, drug makers are required to keep track of side effects reported to them after drugs go to market. During the past year, Merck & Co, Inc., which manufactures Singular, had received reports of tremor, depression, suicidality and anxiousness. In February of this year, Merck and the FDA began discussing how to disseminate this information to the public and the decision was made to interact face-to-face with prescribers and provide them with patient information leaflets to distribute.

The FDA is also working with Merck to review its study data as well as reviewing postmarketing reports. The FDA estimates that it will take about nine months to complete its investigation and the results will be released to the public once its review is complete.

At this time, it is not known whether there is a causal relationship between Singulair and depression and suicidality. Until further information is available, the FDA recommends that patients should not stop taking Singulair before discussing it with their doctor. It also recommends that healthcare professionals and caregivers should monitor patients taking Singulair for any suicidal thinking and behavior or changes in mood.

Singulair is a leukotriene receptor antagonist used to treat asthma and the symptoms of allergic rhinitis, and to prevent exercise-induced asthma.

The most up-to-date prescribing information for Singular can be found at http://www.singulair.com.

Have you experienced depression or suicidal feelings while using Singulair? Share your experiences below.

Comments
April 1, 2008 at 10:05 am
(1) Audrey says:

Yes, I have experienced depression. Kind of an “out of sorts” and “blue” feeling. I’ve been procrastinating and have very little energy or interest.

April 1, 2008 at 7:20 pm
(2) Mary says:

I’ve suffered from depression since I was a small child. During that time I’ve tried most meds with no lasting success. Suicide is not the answer, but somtimes feels very tempting. Surely there must be a med out there that works for someone like me. I’m begining to feel the black hole creep in again an I don’t like it. Help!

April 1, 2008 at 10:26 pm
(3) dot says:

since being on singulair i have had severe mood swings. not my usual once in awhile up and down day. i find it harder to get depressed and negative thoughts out of my head. i am more negative! this was NEVER me! now i wonder is it due to taking singulair! i was on accolate before and decided to try singulair and had stuckk to it but now i think i will go back to accolate and see if my mood and thoughts change and i become the old happy Dot again!

April 1, 2008 at 10:31 pm
(4) Dot says:

mary, depressed thoughts r only temporary. suicide is permanent! never forget that! feelings never stay the same. don’t allow a feeling to control ur behavior! be strong. fight it. never allow the suicidal thought to stay in ur head. immediately replace the thought with a positive one and maybe think about seeing a good therapist. hang in there!

April 2, 2008 at 5:34 am
(5) Faith says:

I have been using singulair for several years. I also have been diagnosed with panic disorder, agoraphobia and depression, this was about the same time as they diagnosed me with Asthma. Until this study came out it didn’t occur to me that Singulair had any part in my depression. I am still not convinced.

April 2, 2008 at 7:49 am
(6) Arlene Williams says:

I have been taking Singulair since 1997. It has made a huge difference to my life-I can now lead a relatively normal existence nearly attack free, whereas before I wheezed all day, every day. I have been diagnosed with depression during the time I have been on it, but the depression was the result of my life situation and as far as I could tell Singulair had nothing to do with it. Life has gotten a lot better for me in the recent past, and I am still on Singulair, so I doubt there is a connection with the prior depression as if Singulair caused depression, I would still be depressed!

April 2, 2008 at 8:16 am
(7) Bryan says:

Mary, I will pray for you to hang in there. My wife is bipolar and I have been diagnosed with sever depression. I think I know how it feels to think you are starting to get depressed. Now is the time to take action and do something positive. Maybe you can head it off. Also I hope you are seeing a professional, trained therapist. Throw those thoughts of suicide out of your head. Life is precious and I am sure you are also. You may not believe in God, but while I pray, you will be in my thoughts. Hang in there. There are a lot of people out here who care.

April 2, 2008 at 9:06 am
(8) Mark says:

I’ve been taking Singulair for around three years. Im interested to see the findings from the study. I am bipolar and wonder if this drug is making it worse.

April 2, 2008 at 9:25 am
(9) laurie says:

I have not tried Singular, but have experienced severe depression when i used Nasonex. the first time i used it, i went into a deep downward spiral immediately.
i stopped using it and felt better immediately. i didn’t put two and two together until i used it again, and experienced the same symptoms. I do wrestle with depression and wonder if because i do it makes me more susceptable to this side effect.
Keep your chins up everyone, take each moment a moment at a time, and remember to breathe deeply. Prayer always helps, no matter who you pray to.

April 2, 2008 at 10:36 am
(10) Peggy says:

I have had depression for many years. I have taken Singulair for a bit over 3 years. When I get suicidal thinking, I have learned to talk it down. It’s part of my illness, but I don’t think Singulair causes the suicidal thinking. I have had such positive rsults with Singulair and the asthma I have had. Personally, I think asthma is an illness that often accompanies depression and anxiety, etc. It will take some real good investigating to figure out if suicide and Singulair are connected.

April 2, 2008 at 2:47 pm
(11) Tara Hayes says:

I have been taking Singulair for almost 2 years. I have NEVER had ANY tendencies to be depressed. I am TOO Blessed to be Depressed I would say! HOWEVER, since my taking singulair I have felt unlike I have EVER felt before….Fatigue, lonely, confused, and just NO will to get out of BED. I haven’t known if it was the problem until I quit taking it for a week n then started back…..A HUGE DIFFERENCE…..

April 3, 2008 at 3:27 pm
(12) Julie says:

My son took singulair from a very young age, he has now tappered off of it, He sometimes got depressed but that runs in our family so I never thought much about it. However, I have taken him to many specialists about the tremors he has expecially in his hands. Everyone including the neurologists say it has nothing to do with singulair and that he will either grow out of it or learn to live with it. Now after hearing the possible corrilation I am worried for him and for others. I will look further into this.

May 24, 2011 at 4:44 pm
(13) pemn says:

Julie, how many years was your son on Singulair? My 16 yr old daughter has been on it since age 5 for asthma maintenance. We believe she has been dealing with depression for about 2-3 years. She says she has always felt as if she was “different.” (I presume “always” means after the age of 5, but who knows…) Anyway, her highs and lows have become more frequent and more pronounced in these past 2 yrs. I never pursued the Singulair aspect, but now I am doing so. How long did it take your son to taper? How is he doing now?

April 3, 2008 at 3:34 pm
(14) Rachel says:

Tara, depression has no relationship to being blessed or feeling blessed. I have and appreciate many blessings in my life but still have depression. My brain chemistry is such that I have to work very hard at positive lifestyle habits to keep depression at bay and it still rears its ugly head at times.

I do take Singulair and if it is possible that it increases depressive episode or even just makes them a little worse or a little more frequent; I will opt for something else to control my asthma. There are enough challenges in life without the side effect of a medication making it harder. I will talk to my doctor about another medication for my asthma now and if the study shows no relationship in 9 months and the new medication isn’t as effective then I will switch back.

Sleep, eat right, exercise, practice stress management techniques like meditation or yoga, do something fun each day, connect with people, pray, and be strong…depression can be managed and in some cases overcome.

April 3, 2008 at 9:01 pm
(15) Kathy says:

I was dx with bi-polar in 1987,did not have any asthma at the time but did suffer from severe allergies when I was younger. They subsides and have had no problems since last 2 years. Started on Singulair about 1 year ago with good results in regards the to the wheezing without having to use nebulizer or inhalers. But have had much more difficulty in regards to my depressive symptoms. It never dawned on me that that Singulair could have contributed to this. Also noticed a tremor in my left hand 2 months ago and and just chalked it up to pschye meds. Fatique is worse, can’t get out of bed, and really don’t get much accomplished. I have been confused and have had trouble understanding why these latest symptons have been different from my usual episodes of depression in the past, these just never leave. Have not been suicidal but do not have any feelings of joy either. Will definitely be removing Singulair from my daily meds and see if it makes a difference. Part of me hopes this is the answer. Simple for a change.

April 6, 2008 at 12:05 am
(16) Carolyn says:

I am looking forward to learning more about the results and yes, I hope this is part of my problem. I am 72 and have emphysema and asthma. I have been taking Singulair for about 3 – 4 years. The biggest change is the fact that I can hardly drag my body out of bed in the morning. Is it sleep apnea, breathing difficulties Singulair or all of the above???? Has my depression gotten worse from taking this drug? Wish I had the answers.

I appreciate all the comments. Thanks.

April 7, 2008 at 1:13 pm
(17) Jennifer says:

I had a depression a few years ago but have been absolutely perfect for over two years with no medications and feeling great. About three months ago I began taking Singulair and have been having a noticeably amount of blues, crying over seemingly nothing, have no energy, sad and wanting to stay in bed. I have been trying to fight myself to stay positive but the gloom has been truly overbearing and I am having a hard time seeing the light at the end. I believe this drug may be causing this as I was fine before I began taking it. Have an appointment next week to review.

April 7, 2008 at 3:03 pm
(18) Connie says:

I have had asthma all my life. I am 48 years old and have only been on Singulair for 4 months. My whole life is better. I can breathe and exercise like never before. I have had no problems so far and hope and pray the studies prove to be wrong about this medication!

April 7, 2008 at 4:03 pm
(19) Wendy says:

Singulair has been a godsend for my asthma. I think it has also helped with the rhinitis. Now, if I could just totally get rid of this exzema, i’d be in great shape!
I had been treated for depression, but I don’t think it was caused by the Singulair. This medicine has helped my breathing so much, that I am able to do things I wouldn’t have made an effort to in the past.
Could it be a coincidence in these other folks, or maybe since their allergies are better, that maybe the depression symptoms made themselves more noticable? Just guessing, but hope you all can find relief, because None of it, asthma, or depression, is fit to live with!

April 7, 2008 at 5:03 pm
(20) Donna S. says:

I had a 5 year old daughter that was on singulair 4mg for over a year. And I will admit that it controlled her asthma GREAT…BUT I also seen my little girl go threw depression, hours of sadness and crying with no reason and she didn’t even know why. Her moods changed from a very sweet little girl to an angry out of control child. After everything came out and we talked to her allergy doctor we decided to take her off of it all together to see if we noticed a change. AND WITHIN ONE WEEK we had our very sweet, happy little girl back. Even her allergy doctor said he was unaware of all of the latest side effects and truely wouldn’t know for about a year what the true side effects are to this medication. I think there is too much rushing to get pills on the market these days and that the FDA needs to put more restrictions on that and less on vitamins. It sure has opened our eyes for anything we ever get from any doctors for our children in the future to take. I think with this medication it may be great for some and some may not have the side effects but I really feel it should not be given to any children at all.

April 7, 2008 at 6:34 pm
(21) M Dempsey says:

My grandson started on Singular when he was about 5. It has made all the difference in his asthma and allergies. But I have been worried because he he gets anxious, and feels sad alot and has stopped wanting to be with friends very much. He just turned 13 and I thought maybe he was just starting into puberty, but with the new information, I am truly concerned. We do have an appointment to talk to his doctor.

April 7, 2008 at 11:39 pm
(22) Tara N says:

I have an 11 yr old son who started with asthma problems when he was 6. He was started on Singulair about 5 years ago. It relieved his asthmatic symptoms completely which meant no more ER visits in the middle of the night. He was diagnosed with depression 3 yrs ago. Before Singulair he was always happy and smiling, now his moods wax and wane. He gets very depressed,tearful and doesn’t want to be alone, while other times he just sits in his room alone. I am concerned that the Singulair could have brought on his depression which we are treating with medication and counseling. I work for a surgeon and I agree that medications need to be tested for longer periods of time for their potential side effects. I’m somewhat angry at myself for jumping in to him taking the medication at all. I will be talking to his doctor about these concerns!

April 8, 2008 at 3:40 pm
(23) William says:

That Singular might be related to triggering – or worsening – depression is very bad news since I did notice an improvement in my asthma symptoms on the medication, however, my mood has worsened recently, and the lack of energy and anhedonia (loss of interest in fun stuff) is marked. I will immediately look for another asthma alternative. If I my mood improves I will post my comment here.

April 10, 2008 at 1:42 pm
(24) Bill says:

My 9 year old son used Singulair for about a year and then stopped in December. At about the time he stopped using Singulair, he became very depressed and developed an eating disorder. Has anyone seen a similar scenario?

April 10, 2008 at 6:33 pm
(25) lila says:

A report from the Netherlands discusses depression. The report stated that in three cases the onset of the depression after taking Singulair was from 3-14 days.
Discussion and conclusion
Lareb received four reports of depressive symptoms in patients using montelukast.Possible confounding includes that asthma itself has been associated with the development of depression . Inhalated corticosteroids can also exert effects on the central nervous system. Fluticason in combination with salmeterol which is used by patients A, B and D, is associated with hyperactivity and irritability whereas budesonide, which is used by patient C also has been associated with depression .

The latency of montelukast-induced depressive symptoms varies from 3-14 days.

In three of the cases a positive dechallenge was seen. The fact that the patients (except for one) did not suffer from depressive symptoms before they started montelukast, the short latency, and recovery after withdrawal of the drug all strengthen our hypothesis that depressive symptoms are an ADR
related to the use of montelukast.
Ahttp://www.lareb.nl/documents/kwb_2006_4_montel.pdf
ccording to the Marketing Authorisation Holder of montelukast, depression will be added to the product information.

April 10, 2008 at 7:24 pm
(26) josh says:

For those people that seem to be depressed on Singulair, try Zyflo cr. It is probably even more potent in severe asthma. It works differently than Singulair

CRITICAL THERAPEUTICS’ ZYFLO® RECEIVES DISTINCT CLASSIFICATION UNDER MEDICARE PRESCRIPTION DRUG BENEFIT Lexington, Mass., May 25, 2006 – Critical Therapeutics, Inc. (Nasdaq: CRTX) today announced that the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has created a unique Formulary Key Drug Type (FKDT) category for the Company’s asthma drug, ZYFLO® (zileuton tablets), under guidelines developed specifically for the Medicare Prescription Drug Benefit (Part D). This new category reflects the CMS’ adoption of the United States Pharmacopeias’ (USP) 2007 Model Guidelines. Under the new FKDT, ZYFLO is now categorized as a “Synthesis Inhibitor” based on its pharmacologic distinction from other anti-leukotriene compounds, including Merck’s Singulair®, which are grouped together in a category known as “Receptor Antagonists.” ZYFLO is the only 5-lipoxygenase (5-LO) inhibitor approved by U.S. Food and Drug Administration

April 13, 2008 at 5:43 pm
(27) Debbie Young says:

I have been taking Singulair for about a year now and have noticed a marked difference in my personality and mood. I never connected the dots that it might be related to the Singulair until I heard it on the radio 2 weeks ago. My doctor and I have blamed it on my low thyroid, which is fixed now and I have blamed it on menopause. Everytime I have seen my doctor in the last year I have told him about my depression. I used to be one of the happiest, most up-beat, joyful persons you would ever meet. I was the one always going around cheering everyone else up. Now I feel like a huge dark cloud is hanging over me. I am not really sad deep in my heart, but this heavy gloom tries to envelope me everyday and steal my joy. Since hearing about the possibility of this being a side-effect of Singulair, I have tried to get off of it two times. My athsma gets so bad that I hurry and take it again. I dont know which I want to live with, the depression or the athsma.
I wish there was something else that would control the athsma just as well. I know I have to do something though. Before I drive myself and my family crazy!

April 14, 2008 at 2:28 pm
(28) Sharon says:

Singulair made me crazy…there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever. While taking Singulair (daily for 2 years), I had pronounced mood swings, was depressed and suicidal. I was having very strange thoughts about death and physical trauma and had never felt that way before. Not long after I stopped using Singulair, these symptoms went away completely. I will never take Singulair again. There is no doubt in my mind that Singulair is the culprit of those symptoms.

April 14, 2008 at 4:18 pm
(29) Concerned Parent says:

Our 16 year old son has been on Singulair for almost a year now (various enviornmental allergies). After hearing about it the side effects on the news a few weeks ago, we decided that it wasn’t worth the risk and took him off. Plus the last nine months he has expressed that he hasn’t felt quite right mentally. He is confused and unsure of things and has low energy. After two days of being off Singulair he became very congested for about three days. That got him depressed. We are going to talk with his ENT and get him on something else, as hearing this on the news and reading these comments almost convinces me that the Singulair is affecting his moods.

April 14, 2008 at 7:15 pm
(30) Terri says:

I have been taking singulair for about 8 years. In combination with advair and zyrtec D, my asthma has improved drastically! I couldn’t do anything without wheezing and literally slept with a rescue inhaler under my pillow and used it several times per night.
I am currently taking mesd for depression and anxiety but this is due to personal issues and pre-menopause. I am very greatful for what sigulair has done for me… I now work out at a gym 2 times per week and everynight at home on my treadmill for 4 miles. Since December, I have lost 15 lbs and 25 inches… and for the last few summers I have been able to getback into roadbiking and long distance walking which I could never have done this without singulair!!!

April 14, 2008 at 8:00 pm
(31) marie says:

My child was on singulair for nearly 4 years. Over the years he has become more irritable and angry. Two years ago he developed an eating disorder at age 9. we have no way to know if this triggered/contributed to that. We’ve been off singulair for 2 weeks but have replaced it with single puff of pulmicort at night.

April 16, 2008 at 9:04 am
(32) Beth says:

My 9 year old daughter has been on singulair for over a year.6 months after she started taking it she was put on meds for ADHD and just in the last month on lexapro for depression. I just made an apointment to see our doctor today to change both of us to another alergy/asthma med.
I have to agree with Audrey about the ““out of sorts” and “blue” feeling. I’ve been procrastinating and have very little energy or interest” but never made any connection with Singulair until today when reading about something else i found info on this.

April 17, 2008 at 5:57 pm
(33) cheryl says:

Im not sure if its due to singular or not but lately I have been really down and in a funk. Does singulars depression symptoms kick in right away or a few months after use. Ive never been so down. Im not motivated to do anything my energy levels are really low and I have alot on my plate which adds to the depression when its not accomplished. I have no record of ever having depression, anxiety or any disorder. At the same time I am so thankful to be able to breath again. In january I nearly died. I was intubated for 3 days and was in ICU for 5 when my lungs stopped working from a major asthma attack. I used to use my inhaler 6-10 times a day and since singular this past january I picked it up one time only. As I continue to take singulair Ill post updates on my mood changes to see if it continues or not.

April 18, 2008 at 8:42 am
(34) Kelly says:

Right before I read “about” i asked my doctor why is my depression comming and going. I explained to her that I was caught up on my bills, my relationship was fine, and the kids are doing well. I said I should be the happiest person in the world, yet i’m not. The doctor gave me something for depression then I read this. Thanks for the warning because I believe it could only be the singular that is causing my depression.

April 19, 2008 at 3:21 am
(35) josh says:

i have been taking singular since january of this year and i have had severe mood swings ever since. my doctor today told me that she just heard about depression being linked with singulair. it sounded funny but it’s a huge possibility. im getting real depressed these days and im not the usual out-going josh anymore.. im going to either take a break from singulair or see my doctor soon. i’ll post if there are positive results.

April 20, 2008 at 9:27 am
(36) Jean says:

I started taking Sinulair a year ago. After 6 months I noticed a changed in my moods, anger and patience level. I was losing my upbeat attitude towards life. I stopped a month ago and my breathing has worsened but my moods are back to my up beat self again.
What is a alternative asthma medication?? I f anyone knows please help. Thanks

April 21, 2008 at 6:43 pm
(37) Cristal says:

WOW!!!! This blew my mind. I also have always delt with depression and far back as my memory goes. I am 32. I have several Bi Polar next to kin. I have not been diagnosed with it. I also see life as a blessing. I started taking singulair two years ago right after the birth of my second child. Depression got worse and worse. I thought I was having post partum and moody do to lack of sleep with my infant. My is 2 1/2 has been sleeping through the night for about two years. I am now dealing with deeper depression, anxiety, no motivation, I feel confused and want to sleep alot. I am easily agitated and no sex drive. Not my normal I am usually very active. I started seeing a therapist 3 weeks ago because I felt I had no control over my life anymore and Im always feeling down. I thought I was going crazy. I read these articles today and now I am concerned this medication is contributing to my depression and anxiety. My therapist suggested that I stop taking this medicine. I take it for allergies. It worked great for allergies but not worth what I going through currently. At this point I do not blame my singulair on my depression and anxiety but I am very egor to see if my symptoms improve. I will be praying for all of us. May God Bless!!
I will be trying something else for my allergies.

April 23, 2008 at 12:30 pm
(38) Sophie says:

Hi, I have been on singulair for about 2 years now. I have always been depressed for most of my life but the past 2 years have been hell. I have noticed that it was getting worse and worse and didn’t have any energy, cried alot, ect. I have stopped taking it now for about 1 month since I heard the news and i don’t know if it’s related or not but i’m happy now. I’m not as depressed and have way more energy. I think that speaks for itself really! I can’t wait to see what they find out.

April 26, 2008 at 1:58 pm
(39) Shane says:

I’ve been taking singulair for a long time and I have been depressed and suicidal for just as long. I never considered a correlation between the two but it would answer a lot of questions.

April 27, 2008 at 11:21 pm
(40) Juliette says:

I had been given a prescription for Singular several months ago and had not taken it on a regular basis until my asthma got so bad that I was having to use my relief inhaler several times a day. A couple of months ago I remembered that I still had my prescription and decided to start taking it on a daily basis. The depression started very gradual and I didn’t realize how depressed I was getting until I started having thoughts of giving up on life. I felt like crying all the time, and the thoughts of suicide started occuring more and more. A friend mentioned to me that she had heard that Singular was suspected of causing depression and suicidal thoughts. I googled Singular + depression and read about other reports of similar symptoms so I decided to stop taking Singular. Within two days, I starting feeling better emotionally, but my asthma got worse. It has been two weeks since I completely quit taking Singular, I feel so much better and my thoughts of giving up on life have completely gone. This is really scary, I pray that no one will give up on life because they are experiencing depression as a side effect of taking Singular.

April 28, 2008 at 10:38 am
(41) Edward says:

For those above who felt better mentally after stoping Singulair, how long did it take for the depression to leave and the mood ro improve?

May 4, 2008 at 12:13 am
(42) Anthony says:

I have been taking Singulair for extended periods of time (2 months), and sporadically. I was put on Singulair before I moved to South Korea as a precaution against the intense pollution here.

As soon as I moved to Korea, I began noticing changes in my behavior. I was becoming overly anxious, and would have intense mood swings.

To complicate the issue further, South Korea has an intense night life. So, occasionally, I would have intense mood swings while drinking.

However, after hearing the reports I connected the dots. Not only am I taking a medicine unsupervised, but I am also in a completely new environment. A new environment always comes with a certain amount of stressed, and since I moved to South Korea basically right after college. So, I do not think this help.

When I heard about these reports, I connected the dots myself. Then, I called up all my family and close friends. They admit that I have some trouble with anger, but so does my father (and that may be a learned behavior).

But, I am by no means depressed nor do I suffer from rapid mood swings. They say I am generally a normal happy fun loving guy.

However, I did not think something was seriously wrong until I blew up at a coworker at friend. Actually, I blew up at more than just one coworker or friend.

I am an English teacher, and my caring students noticed a significant difference in my behavior this past Monday. They said I “looked” different. I didn’t look sick. I didn’t snap at them. I just “looked” different.

All of this happened after I took Singulair for a week or so then abruptly stopped.

Considering the point that I am at my life right now (23 yrs old), I realize that it is a stressful time. First time to be on your own. First time for almost about everything.

So, I think Singulair might compound all these feelings.

There is one other drug that I can say I had a bad reaction to several times: Accutane. I can safely say that I was out of control while on Accutane during a stressful situations.

I think I have finally realized that I am someone that reacts badly (emotionally) to some medicines and I have to monitor there effects on me.

I am definitely contacting my doctor on Monday (American time). The medicine has not adversely affected my experience abroad. I have had a blast here, and I have met some great people However, I have had more than my share of health issues this year. I had a bad bout of pneumonia for about a month. So, I will just consider this another one of life’s strange turns.

May 8, 2008 at 8:09 pm
(43) Megan says:

I started using singulair at the beginning of September, 2007. Since then, my behavior has changed, I have severe mood swings, I have horrific nightmares, I suffer from depression, and I have suicidal thoughts. Just yesterday I stopped taking singulair after my doctor mentioned the side effects. I am just 14, and it really upset me that I was unaware of the side effects. I am ready to get my life back now.

May 10, 2008 at 7:59 pm
(44) lynne faraone says:

My son was on singulair for 3.5 yrs,yes his behavoir changed, yes he was depressed,yes he was hospitalised at age 12 for 10 days for depression,yes it was the singulair,6 weeks off singulair he is back to his old happy self.How did this happen to innocent precious children???????????????

May 18, 2008 at 9:11 am
(45) Marty says:

I have never suffered from depression previously. Everything is going well in my life — home, work, friends. Over the course of the 5 weeks I’ve been taking Singulair, I noticed my mood spirally down and my anger sprially up, to the point that last week I called in sick to work one day because I simply couldn’t get myself out of bed. My doctor put me on singulair because my allergies sometimes have an asthma-like component. And Singulair was great for those symptoms. I didn’t realize the depression connection, and when I found out, stopped the med. After just 3 days, I’m feeling better already.

May 20, 2008 at 8:56 am
(46) Barbara says:

How long have you been on Singulair? My daughter is 15 and has been on it for 3 years. We are trying to figure out if some of her “emotionalness” is due to this medication or just “normal” teenage stuff.

June 13, 2008 at 1:14 am
(47) Karey says:

I was on singulair for only a short period of time. Not long after I began taking the medication I became very depressed. My family and I went on vacation right after I started taking the medication and I was so depressed that I just sat around and did not want to participate in anything. I knew that wasn’t my normal behavior because I am normally outgoing. When I returned from vacation I went back to my family doctor and at the time he said depression was not a known side effect however he was willing to prescribe me something else for my allergies and within a short period of time I was back to normal. I am glad to see this is becoming known now.

June 18, 2008 at 10:17 am
(48) Claire says:

I have been taking singulair for years with zero side effects, but recently I’ve been feeling symptoms of depression: no pleasure out of life, feeling like everything is one long useless slog. It may be that I’m having a reaction to events in my life, but I also wonder if (a) menopause is a factor, and (b) if my reaction to singular has changed as I’ve hit menopause.

July 16, 2008 at 10:37 pm
(49) Lynda says:

I was taking Singulair for about 3 years, I went off of it about 2-3 months ago and have had feeling of depression,and anxiety and have no interest in much at all. I totally have not felt myself since stopping the Singulair. All my friends say I am not myself, I am actually contemplating on starting the Singulair, because when I was on it, it actually helped tremendously with my allergies and asthma. Has anyone else experienced these effects after going off of the Singulair?

July 24, 2008 at 12:30 am
(50) lisa says:

Hello….i just wanted to weigh in on the depression issue with this med. My son was on it, for over a year, he is almost 4 now. He was always a funny happy kid. Recently he had started becoming irrational, hitting himself, saying he was very angry, we were seriously wondering what was wrong with him. I then happened to be in the allergist office for myself when i saw the postings on this med. We talked and decided to take him off and see how he was….All i have to say is…i feel like i have my son back. Within 4 days of being off the med he is happy again and full of life. No more hitting himself and hidding in corners crying! As my alergist said, if you suspect, simply go off for it for a week, it takes 3 days to fully exit the system then see the results.

August 3, 2008 at 2:06 am
(51) Melissa says:

I was on Singulair for at least 3 years and thought that I would get off it cause I thought my asthma was geting better. I was wrong,geting off Singulair can make your asthma Worse,and cause worse wheezing!I’m geting back on Singulair right away,it controls wheezing and asthma!If you have asthma I would not stop taking this medication for wheezing,unless your dr.tells you too, not to take it!I haven’t had any reactions from this medication,accept wheezing when I got off of it and that was it.I haven’t been depressed at all being on only Singulair,it could be when you mix it with other medications.I really don’t know.I would watch what kind of asthma medications to take as alot have many side effects,do read about the side effects before taking medications.My opinion Asthma is past on from others that have had to of had in the family like grandparents ect.It is a disease that we really need a cure for especially since so many people have it, same goes for all other diseases.Its time to find cures! Its 2008 and time for a new President and a Change in this World for the Better!

August 18, 2008 at 9:48 am
(52) Margie says:

To Bill(23)

I thought I was going crazy this weekend…whenever I forget to take my singulair(been on it for almost 3 yrs now)I would have bouts of depression & mood swings,etc. but yesterday I had it real bad with suicidal thougts (with being 2 days off it) I resume taking it again last night & today I feel some what better. For my well being I will stop taking singulair all together. I did issue a complaint today w/the FDA.

September 13, 2008 at 11:43 am
(53) melissa44 says:

My daughter was an emotional wreck for 6 years and i never attributed it to her taking singulair. She stopped taking it and became a different person, she was my sweet little girl that I thought had turned into a demon. She recently began taking it again and within a few days turned into a screaming, raging crazy person. She has stopped taking it and we have an appt. with her doctor to find another alternative. This is a REAL problem, it does aleviate her asthma symptoms better than anything else, but it has a definate Jeykell and Hyde aspect.

September 29, 2008 at 11:31 am
(54) Butch says:

My normally energetic and upbeat wife started taking Singulair for itchy eyes a couple of years ago. She became depressed, unhappy and moody and very difficult. I saw the article a couple of months ago on the new warning and asked her if she ever felt happy or normal anymore. “no.” I asked if she had suicidal thoughts. “yes.” She stopped taking the drug immediately and within a week was back to her normal self. Her doctor had NEVER discussed this important side-effect. This makes me very angry at everyone involved. I hope the manufacturer considers the legal consequences of keeping this product on the market without a severe and obvious warning. If you or anyone you care about are taking this stuff and think you might have any of these symptoms, you need to talk to your doctor immediately.

September 29, 2008 at 4:03 pm
(55) Jill says:

I have very mild asthma. I had a surgery and was started on Singulair because it had been shown to soften scar tissue during healing from surgery. Singulair helped both the scar healing and the asthma. Within months of starting on the Singulair I was hospitalized for the first time in my life with suicidal depression. I was treated for the depression and continued on Singulair for years. I stopped the Singulair for a period of months due to financial reasons. I felt better during this time period but restarted the Singulair as soon as I could. When I read about the linkage of suicidal depression to Singulair I stopped taking the Singulair. Since I permanently stopped the Singulair I have not had any more suicidal thoughts, I have been taken off of anti-depressive medicine and I feel like my old self. Who would have thought that a prescription to treat asthma would cause suicidal depression? I greatly appreciate the news of the linkage of the Singulair to depression; stopping the Singulair has made a huge improvement in my life!

October 23, 2008 at 5:34 pm
(56) Elle says:

I’ve been emotionally stable for years now, but have had very bad bouts of depression in the past. As a result, I monitor my mood fairly closely for signs of a downturn. I was recently prescribed Singulair for asthma. After about a week, I started feeling depressed – not just feeling down or blue, but specifically the feelings I get when I am depressed – absolutely worthless and irrationally guilt-ridden. Then I read the warning on the insert. Yikes! So, I’m stopping for the time being, and I’ll see if my mood goes back up. If so, I’m going to stay away from the Singulair.

November 13, 2008 at 1:58 pm
(57) Carolina says:

I’m taking Singulair for asthma. Prior to discovering I have asthma, the dose of Welbutrin I was on was working very effectively. When dx’d with asthma I was put on prednisone for many weeks which I believe caused the spiraling downward in mood. I’ve been off prednisone for only a few days but immediately started Singulair (because the oral prednisone, and albuteraol and qvar inhalers were not working). I feel lethargic and depressed. Q!@$%.

December 29, 2008 at 12:24 pm
(58) Bella says:

I’ve been on Singulair since November 2008. It was a wonder drug given to me for allergic skin rashes. I began to question what was going on when I had countless disturbing dreams, swollen calves and unexplained weight gained and most disturbing deep depression, anxiety and aggresiveness.

I do not struggle with depression at all. The months I’ve been on this drug I’ve felt hopeless, angry and nearly wanted to quit my job. I googled the side effects of Singulair. I was shocked at what others has experienced and how similar the issues are. I am stopping it today to see if the issue end or persist.

January 7, 2009 at 5:59 pm
(59) Jenna says:

I keep reading on sites like this that depression was not reported as a side effect in the clinical trials.

However, depression WAS reported in patients taking montelukast in the clinical trials.

This is a link to the FDA Medical Review for Singulair: http://www.fda.gov/cder/foi/nda/98/020829s000_Singular_Medr.pdf

On page 78 of the document (p. 84 of the PDF)is a table listing reasons why participants dropped out of the clinical trials. One patient in the montelukast group (out of 795) in this part of the clinical trials is listed with depression as an adverse experience and the notation reads “discontinued due to adverse experiences considered drug related by the investigator.”

On page 80 on the document, which is page 86 of the PDF: Depression was identified in patients taking Montelukast in the clinical trials at a slightly higher rate than placebo (0.6% vs. 0.4%).

Maybe this information seems statistically insignificant, and maybe it does not prove that Singulair causes depression, but the fact remains that people taking montelukast in the clinical trials reported depression and this information is not being conveyed to the public.

The proof that Singulair causes depression is all the children (and adults)- including MY son – who developed symptoms of depression while taking Singulair that resolved when treatment with Singulair was discontinued.

February 4, 2009 at 2:28 pm
(60) cathy says:

I AM NOTCING THAT MY HUSBAND WHO HAS BEEN TAKING SINGULAIR FOR ABOUT A MONTH AND HALF IS BECOMING VERY DEPRESSED. HE HAS BEEN TAKING ZOLOFT FOR A LONG TIME AND WAS DOING FINE UNTIL HE HAS STARTED TAKING SINGULAIR FOR HIS ALLERGIES.I AM WONDERING IF THE TWO MEDICINES TOGETHER COULD BRING DEPRESSION ON. I DID NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THESE SIDE EFFECTS UNTIL I WAS CHECKING INTO IT MYSELF. THE DOCTOR WHO PRESCRIBED THIS MEDICINE DID NOT TELL HIM ANYTHING SUCH. I AM TRULY CONCERNED ABOUT THIS AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ALL THE DATA THAT HAS BEEN WRITTEN .

March 26, 2009 at 8:48 am
(61) Rudy says:

I’ve had my bouts with depression and take paxil for anxiety. I was put on singulair and felt fine for a while, then that ‘blue’ feeling crept in. It’s as if I just dwelled on negative thoughts, and I saw no end to my misery. I took myself off and began to feel normal again. I’m going to talk to my doctor about a replacement med. If not for my faith I think I would have killed myself. DO NOT take singulair if you already have anxiety or depression. If you take it and feel like the joy in life is sucked out of you, stop taking it.

March 26, 2009 at 8:48 am
(62) Rudy says:

March 26, 2009 at 10:49 pm
(63) H says:

I didn’t put two and two together until I saw something on the news about the link between depression and singulair. I was on singulair because of my asthma and about a year ago, I stopped taking it because it was just far too expensive for me to keep taking. I never had depression before taking singulair but during the two years that I was taking it, I did feel ‘out of sorts’ and depressed quite often and had relationship troubles. I haven’t felt that way since I came off of singulair (other than the typical changes of mood that almost everyone goes through)… there’s definitely something there…

April 13, 2009 at 10:52 am
(64) Linda says:

I took sigulair for years. We saw something on tv about depression and my husband said, That’s you”! I still kept taking it but in the back of my mind it could be. I stopped taking it about a month ago. My leg cramps gone! My stress and pressure gone! My heart racing gone! Every ache I had in my body is gone! If your on this medication get off of it now!

May 15, 2009 at 8:54 pm
(65) emma says:

i recently started taking singulair within the past week. since then, i have been suffering from wild depression. it was almost immediate. at first i assumed it was nothing; a change in the weather, or maybe just not a good time for me. but it occured to me that there could be someting else involved so i looked it up online. low and behold, i find this article, and many others, all saying that singulair has this effect on people. looks like it’s time i call my doctor (who, by the way, never told me about this possible side-effect)!

June 12, 2009 at 2:05 pm
(66) Niki says:

Yeah. I too felt a sort of “Blue” mood when on it. In fact those were the exact words I used when I was trying to figure out what was wrong with me/what it was I was feeling. I was reasoning on different things that could explain my feeling a little down and nothing was really wrong/out of the ordinary–it’s just the singulair.

I experienced this immediately a couple of years ago but assumed it was the advair I was taking. Then the report came out that it was what I least expected, the singulair.

Not to be a conspiracy theorist but I think these companies have the masses coming and going and hope to diagnose people as bipolar or anything to get more meds in and more money from people.

June 15, 2009 at 9:38 pm
(67) Amy says:

Our 15 year old daughter has been on Singulair for about 7 years. She has always been shy, but looking back, I realize her that her natural timidity had become extreme anxiety about the time she started on the Singulair. Over the past two years, she has suffered panic attacks, sleep problems, hand tremors, and unexplained bouts of agitation. About a month ago, she told her she was having suicidal thoughts and we had her admitted to a psychiatic facility for two weeks. When she was discharged, the FIRST thing she said was that she was not going to take Singulair ever again–she was convinced the Singulair was the underlying cause of her depression and suicidal thoughts. Imagine our shock when just two weeks later we hear about the new FDA warnings on Singulair and neuropsychiatric events! She now seems to be suffering from withdrawal symptoms but we are hoping that once the Singulair is out of her system her feelings will begin to improve. She’s been through hell and to think it might be due to the medicine we’ve been giving her all this time is horrifying.

August 13, 2009 at 6:25 pm
(68) Anne-Marie says:

Wow. Dr’s really need to review their patient’s history better. I was treated for anxiety & depression via prescriptions, then I switched to herbal treatments which have been working fine for 2 yrs. Then my allergist had me try Singulair for my severe allergic rhinitis symptoms. I was so desperate to feel relief from my allergies that I didn’t research the depression aspect of it even though I had a miserable experience with Breathine, another asthma drug given to manage pre-term labor. Now, that I have realized that my living on the verge of tears for no reasons is related to the Singulair I have more than one problem. #1 I’m out of options for treating my allegies which make me feel suicidal (not in a clinical way, but just begging to put out of my misery) #2 I tried to stop taking Singulair & experienced even more panic off of the meds than on it…started taking it again and the panic subsided but I’m living in a constant state of depression with mild anxiety. I’m grateful that I can recognize it, but even more depressed when I think that I will have to suffer either in this continued state OR with my severe allergies. I have an appt with my allergist next week to get my serum refilled, so I guess I will talk to him about it then.

October 19, 2009 at 8:31 am
(69) Deb says:

My son has only been on Singulair for about 3 weeks but we cannot believe the changes in him….mood swings, severe anger, depression, no energy, cannot get out of bed….this is not my son at all. He had always been fun, loving, upbeat and the “team booster” on all his sports teams….so much has changed with him that it scares me. I took him off Singulair last night and will be calling his doctor today!!!

December 2, 2009 at 10:26 am
(70) Michele says:

I was taking Claritin for Rhinitis and Advair for Asthma. I began to have significant mood swings. She then prescribed Singulair and it worked for about a month and again I began to have mood swings as well as depression. Can’t they manufacture these drugs without causing depression.

December 21, 2009 at 10:31 am
(71) dr.nidal asad says:

since 10 years ago and up to date Iam prescribing singulair for my patients ,but i didnot found any relation with depression and suicidablity.

February 15, 2010 at 8:08 pm
(72) mom says:

My son experienced extreme anxiety last year which became eventually caused us to withdraw him from school. Our doctor recommended we stop the singulair immediately although we did not know if there was a link. By the time we stopped it, he was deep, deep in the throws of anxiety. He was eventually put on Zoloft and slowly things got back to normal. We did not put him back on the Singulair until recently when his allergies started to flair. We immediately saw a difference as he became anxious again and extremely emotional. We only spend about two – three weeks on the drug. I discontinued using it and saw an improvement within a week. Will not put him back on Singulair.

March 18, 2010 at 11:00 am
(73) lisa says:

My husband started taking Singulair for his allergies this week and the second day he took it he was depressed and lethargic as I have never seen him before… having long conversations with me about how pointless his life feels and what a failure he realized he has been… no interest in going out, eating, sex, socializing, taking care of himself or the house…. he became very irritable and snapping aggressively at me for tiny things… not wanting to talk, not wanting to go out, having terrible nightmares of me leaving him and not being able to forget them, even crying at night which he has never done before…

He is always an extremely energetic and lively man who has always had more problems with overconfidence and being rather ADHD/hyperactive than lethargy or depression, and I was very concerned, wondering what I’d done wrong or what was going on at his work to make him suddenly so different…

He thought maybe the Singulair was making him drowsy, so we read the side effects on the bottle to see if sleepiness was one of them, and discovered all those warnings about mood changes and depression! He’s stopped taking it immediately and I’m hoping he’ll be back to himself soon – I’m amazed that his doctor didn’t warn him about this first, it was SO extreme and severe.

April 11, 2010 at 1:23 am
(74) Jenn says:

I started Singulair about 4 months ago. I am a nurse and see a lot of patients on this medication, but I never saw the warnings about mood/depression until I got my prescription. It was amazing as far as relieving my allergies and chronic sinusitis symptoms…but I started noticing my anger and irritability skyrocket. I ignored this at first, thinking it was just a stressful time at work or a hectic week. Then I started having very vivid and strange dreams too; nothing scary, but I could recall every detail. This started to alarm me, but my sinus headaches were finally under control and I couldn’t seem to give up the Singulair just yet. However, in the last 3 or 4 weeks I have become severely depressed for no reason. I never want to go out or see my friends. I have very little energy. I started asking myself what was the point of living. I have had some situational episodes of feeling very depressed in the past, but it always resolved. This is the worst I have ever felt with no triggering event. I just started hating myself. I resolved to try therapy and medication immediately, but then tonight I remembered about the warning on my bottle of Singulair. I can’t wait to stop taking it and see if my mood improves. I feel like the heaviest, darkest cloud is over me right now. I am so negative all the time, and I look foward to nothing. I have no reason to feel this way. I was much happier and calmer before the Singulair. I really hope to get back to the old me.

June 25, 2010 at 4:53 am
(75) Tara says:

I’ll tell you, I have been taking Singular for 5 years now. I didn’t notice a remarkable diffrerence at first taking it for asmah and severe allergies. I have always been a naturally extreamly optimistic and positive person. But recently I became very ill feeling, always having drawn out flu symtoms longer than 12 days, I mean full on flu symtoms for at least three weeks. I felt very CONFUSED, lost blurry mind, very lethargic, nausa, vomiting, tierd, rashes, mood swings that felt uncontrolable, and litterally unable to get out of bed in the morning for school at my University, causing many problems in my acedemics sadly, but I made it through strong and sucsessfully. This has deeply effected my life from one little pill for my allergies. I was very depressed fighting it in every way I could, with prayre, running, seeing my doctor regularly, I was tested for many diseases that cause severe fatigue, and everything was normal, I did everything I could, was still not myself. When I went to my many doctors they always asked me why I was taking Singular, very concerned, but did not tell me why!! Finally I moved for the summer this month, and my amazing new doctor took me off of Singular, she said I should never take it, because it should only be used as A LAST RESORT, because of the dangerous side effects.
I am proud to share with you all that I have been off of Singular for two weeks, and I feel better than I ever remember feeling! I wake up in the morning refreshed, happy, exited to start the day and do fun activities that I used to love doing, and do now again! I am back to my old self with tons of energy, clear mind, happy, optimistic, more confident, I sleep normally, my anxiety has disappered, no more depression, no more crying spells, no more sucidial thoughts that were very scary, and no more vivid disturbing hallusination like dreams! I am thankful for my doctor! My allergies are very bad, because no allergy medication is strong enough for me besides singular, but I am happy to have bad allergies, IT’S A MILLION TIMES BETTER THAN FEELING HORRBILE! I am so thankful for my new life without singular! I hope these studies come out SOON! And I think these reults should help us fight back with juctice, we should not stand back, sucide and depression are serious, I know I am a Psychology major in school to become a Psychologist, and we need to fight back. I hope in time we can ban together, file a law suit and create Juctice for all patiences who have taken Singular with horrific symtoms, and who are suffering in silence. We need to bring juctice to this situation and file a law suit!

My prayres go out to all of you who are suffering from depression and other horrible symtoms. Do yourself and your loved ones a favor and talk to your doctor about going off of Singular and changing your medication, (I can almost guerentee they will want to get you off of it, (the doctors are informed of this problem), and see how you feel, because chances are you will feel better if you are suffering from mysterious symtoms. I know it’s hard to get out of depression, just try to CARE, and you can fight depression. Changing your medication might be a beautiful first step. And please all of you who are feeling hopeless, have hope, I am living prove that you will get back to your old self. Please try to change medication! TAKE CARE!!!
Blessings and love,
Tara Pennock

June 25, 2010 at 4:54 am
(76) Tara Pennock says:

Side effects vary by age and may include headache, ear infection, sore throat, and upper respiratory infection. Behavior and mood-related changes have been reported, including agitation, aggression or anger, bad or vivid dreams, depression, anxiety, hallucinations (seeing things that are not there), irritability, restlessness, sleepwalking, suicidal thoughts and actions (including suicide), trembling, and trouble sleeping. Tell the doctor if you have, or your child has, these or any other side effects while taking SINGULAIR.

July 29, 2010 at 7:08 pm
(77) Jill German says:

Our 7 yr old daughter started taking Singulair 10 days ago. (Dr’s first choice was Advair, but she had an allergic reaction with swelling lips so he switched her Rx.) I noticed that she wasn’t herself after six doses, and for the last several days she has truly acted depressed, bored, down, and irritable. This is NOT our daughter’s personality! She will not receive her dose tonight and we’ll see if she starts acting more herself soon. I hope that stopping the meds works.

August 16, 2010 at 11:24 am
(78) nita says:

How do you all get depressed so easily????
Stop the blame game. You all are blaming on pills, people in your life, job. It’s actually how you think. Trust me.
Whenever you think “depressed” just try to think of people who do not even have their basic needs (safety, food, home) fulfilled. And then try to do something nice for someone. Have you heard of “Randon act of kindness”. Believe me, that’s the best pill for treating “depression”. Do something good for someone without any expectation. Just try it.

August 17, 2010 at 3:07 am
(79) Tess says:

I am so grateful for all your posts. I have been on Singular for about a month. My allergies have brought on what may be adult asthma. Since I have been on the Singular, I have felt so much better. Just today I noticed another bruise on my arm. As checked the side effect list, I noticed along with bruising… mood disorder, depression etc. Prior to taking this medication I checked with all my doctors and my pharmacist, who by the way are all excellent, to make sure the singular would not mess up my stabilized bi-polar II. Today I realized that I am feeling just crazy depressed!!! I am calling my doctor in the am. Just for clarification. Clinical depression is like having a heart condition or diabetes, you cannot just “act of kindness” it away. While an act of kindness is one of the best ways to lift spirits for both the giver and the receiver, clinical depression has to be treated with meds, it is a chemical imbalance that cannot be wished away. Take care all, and may God shine on your day. :)

September 13, 2010 at 5:50 am
(80) Lyn says:

@Nita …. From your school of thought you clearly have never been seriously depressed nor have an understanding of depression . I have suffered this ailment for some years now and is currently embarking on different (to the old) tactics to resolve, such as ceasing to take some of my Asthma medication as I feel this doesn’t help. During my ‘illness’ I have helped many people and in may forms including much charity work. I also write, draw and paint in order to distract myself or help myself. I am perceived as having a ready smile and many folk don’t see my depression. May I suggest that whilst nobody wishes to walk in the shoes of these poor people of the third world that having a sense of unison and community spirit is paramount in their lack of depression . This is something Westerners have long since lost in many areas. Can I also point out that in these very poor communities you never see ME either .. food for thought don’t you think ?

September 15, 2010 at 12:12 am
(81) judy says:

My 16 year old daughter began taking Singulair three days ago. She is a very calm, easygoing , happy girl. Last night she said that her inner body feels like it is shaking, and her teeth can’t stop chattering. She was unable to sleep. Tonight she suddenly started crying and told me she feels wired inside, again feels like her inner body is shaking, and feel hopeless. I believe it is the Singulair. I will never give it to her again. I will also report her reaction to the FDA.

September 16, 2010 at 11:46 pm
(82) Jennifer says:

I have always had allergy problems since I was a small child. I was on zyrtec for a while, but after some time it stopped having an effect on me. I was in 7th grade at the time. My doctor decided to prescibe me singulair. My mother had always described me as easy-going, passive, caring, loveable, and just all around chill and content. After taking singulair for a few months I fell into a depressive episode. It wasn’t the usual teen angst, moody 14 year old girl, depression either. The chaos in my home was unexplainable, and not understanding why I was in so much pain was the worst. Eventually my mother saw on the news that singulair had been linked to possibly causing depression in teenagers. I stopped taking it, but have been having depressive episodes since then.

In all honesty, if what I have felt and still feel today is all because of this medicine, I can’t begin to explain the remorse I have for taking it. No amount of allergy relief can compare to the hurt it has caused.

October 14, 2010 at 1:26 am
(83) jay says:

I’m not usually one to jump into this sort of thread, and I’m not entirely sure that my symptoms aren’t my imagination getting the better of me (something I’m prone to but can usually recognize) — but I think Singulair has really been making my already-existing depression and anxiety significantly worse.

I’m not sure it’s going to send someone who isn’t prone to depression/anxiety into a bad space but, based on my own limited experience, I do think it can aggravate already-existing depression/anxiety symptoms.

I’d say keep this in mind and talk to your doctor if you start to feel especially funky after starting Singulair.

BTW, it is a great medication for my symptoms (bad rhinitis and mild asthma) and I’m disappointed I’m not going to be able to continue with it. If you don’t experience this possible side effect, I’d definitely recommend it.

October 26, 2010 at 3:20 am
(84) alison says:

i have been on and off montelukust for past 2yrs, was off it all summer and started back on it 6 weeks ago, i now feel, anxouis,irritable and generally down in the dumps, also dispite, jogging and going to gym, have gained weight, so am stopping it today, will see how i go, ive never suufffered mood swings or depression before, sure its the montelukust

November 16, 2010 at 1:50 pm
(85) becky says:

Your article has caused my grandson not to be able to take a drug that helps him completely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I take it and am fine. Your article is ridiclous and if people are depressed and suicidal, it is their life – not a drug!

November 19, 2010 at 4:30 pm
(86) Concernedmommy says:

Wow…My daughter, now 6, has been on singulair since she was like a year old. She has asthma pretty bad. Recently we uped her dosage due to her age and her asthma still not being under control. She has had some crazy behavior problems! She has been angry and at times, out of control. She is anxious all the time to the point the school called to talk about it. She seems sad and sometimes out of it! She complains of a tummy ache all the time. She was just a different kid. We have even taken her to 2 different therapists and both couldn’t find anything wrong. I started doing research on Singulair and immediately called the specialist who told me to discontinue it immediately. We stopped last night! I am hoping that it helps my little baby! I am disgusted that this medicene is still on the market when it is causing so many problems with our little, innocent kiddos.

February 3, 2011 at 12:47 am
(87) Sherry says:

I have a condition called eosinophilic esophagitis and my gastroenterologist put me on Singulair for it one month ago. I don’t normally have problems with depression, but since I’ve been taking Singulair, I feel depressed, anxious, and I have tingling in my hands. I have also had a fever that has been running between about 100-102.9. I know that this medicine is what has caused this. I have no energy or motivation, and I just have a general “bad” feeling. I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow and I’m going to ask to be taken off this med. If he says no, then I’ll stop taking it anyway. This change in me over the past month has been very noticeable. I can’t stand feeling this way!

May 7, 2011 at 2:47 pm
(88) C says:

I went to my doctor two weeks ago because I have been having allergies so she gave me a prescription for singulair at night. I started taking it a week ago and EVERY SINGLE DAY I have had panic attacks, mood swings, and have pretty much made my boyfriend miserable. My chest is tight and I cannot stop the anxiety. I am convinced that Singulair is doing this to me from just being on it for a single week. No more Singulair for me!

June 13, 2011 at 2:41 pm
(89) Bummed says:

Well, my reason for being prescribed Singulair is not the norm. I am taking it to try and prevent a capsular contracture after breast augmentation surgery. My doctor informed me that this is an off label use and gave me the side effect pamphlet, like what you get at the pharmacy. It’s been two weeks now taking this medicine. I haven’t noticed any depression really, but all of a sudden I have no sex drive and that has never, ever been an issue for me!Luckily, for the effect of this drug to work in my situation, I am only supposed to take it for 1-3 months. Thank God. Will post again if depression sets in….thinking about reporting to FDA. Good luck to all, thanks for your comments.

July 4, 2011 at 11:49 am
(90) Nick says:

I’m 16 and used to take Singulair when I was a little younger. I stopped for a while, developed bad depression with suicidal thoughts… And then I finally got over that hump I began using singulair again. Everytime I take it I get beyond sad and depressed. I feel alone in the world, like I hjave no one even though I have plenty of friends and family. I know it says to consult a doctor, but I am just going to stop taking it.

July 15, 2011 at 9:24 am
(91) Jenn says:

I have tried recently taking Singulair. After about two hours of taking this drug I had suicidal thoughts. I am not a depressed person and believe me these thoughts where extremely disturbing. I also had severe anxiety accompanied with the suicidal thoughts. I immediately called my physician and he advised me to stop taking this drug. Please be aware that this drug can cause serious side effects in some and for others they may tolerate the drug well.

July 26, 2011 at 2:51 am
(92) A.M says:

I have been on singulair for 2 months, I have always a cheerful person, never felt depressed… recently I feel really depressed in the morning and feel I don’t want to work.. I have gone through hard times recently in terms of my relationship, but that was 3 months ago and I was fine afterwoards untill the last two weeks when I started feeling horrible and really down and very depressed.. I think it is because of my allergy medicine including singulair..

August 23, 2011 at 1:45 pm
(93) AL says:

I was prescribed Singulair as a therapy to reduce scar tissue after having surgery because of breast cancer. Naturally, one would expect to be depressed after having grade 3 stage 3 cancer, but I was only sad because of having to have gone through what I did. I started taking Singular on July 14, 2011 after researching the side effects, I thought I can deal with a little depression in order to alleviate the EXTREME hardness of the scar tissue that had developed. I figured my system would get used to it… to no avail. I am like a zombie. I literally have to drag myself out of bed to go to a job that I love, cry and go to bed the second I get home. I have no desire to do anything at all. I’ve tried to force myself to exercise, watch feel good movies, get with positive friends. Nothing is working. Today, I had a breakdown. That’s it. I cannot live like this. I called my Doctor today to see if he can take me off of the drug and prescribe something to lift my mood.

August 23, 2011 at 10:19 pm
(94) A.T says:

Please learn from me. I was 14 when i started using singulair in the spring. I showed no signs of depression. I started using it again in fall through winter. I was depressed for a half of a year and showed serious serious sings. I had no reasons to be depressed, and I am an optimistic person. It effected my grades, relationships, and my whole life. No doctors ever warned me of these serious side effects before I went on Singulair. On top of that I had severe anxiety attacks. A month or two after getting off Singulair, I was back to normal. But still had to deal with the damage of what just happened. I hate my allergies so much, it is SO not worth taking it by ruining my teenage years. Half a year later, and I still can’t get back to my actual self before Singulair damaged me. It would mean something to me if some people just knew.

September 10, 2011 at 9:41 pm
(95) Dorothy says:

I have just started using Singulair – 1 week – and for the first few days I was in quite a state of anxiety and depression. However I have quite a history of this and didn’t think anything of it.
Over the last three days I have felt wonderful! I no longer have anxiety or depression, have stopped using food for comfort and generally feel on top of everything.
I am using the singulair for chronic eticaria and aedima and am hoping that I have finally found a solution.

March 15, 2012 at 3:58 pm
(96) lisa says:

I just recently went on singular and right away I noticed that I was more moody. The last week I’ve noticed that I feel really depressed. Not suicidal but more lazy. i don’t want to do anything, task seem overwhelming, and I’d prefer to just lay on the couch and sleep. I’m gonna stay on a little longer, if this continues than I’m getting off.

March 27, 2012 at 4:50 pm
(97) Rachel says:

Two of my kids were on this for about a year. My children who were once happy go lucky kids ended up sad, depressed, and getting so out of control that they would bang their heads against the wall saying that they wanted to die. I didn’t know how to handle the situation until my sister ran across a news story showing the possible link between the depression and suicidal thoughts to the medication. I took my kids off of it and the behivour in both of my children improved drastically, however even though they have been off of it for years they have never been quite the same.

March 27, 2012 at 7:41 pm
(98) Diane says:

15 yr old son taking Singulair for several months. He called me at work today crying for me to come home. He was feeling a deep depression and was scared. He said he had a horrific nightmare last night and couldn’t shake this horrible feeling he was having. To say the least I was terrified and couldn’t get home soon enough. I will stop the Singulair today. Does anybody know how long the medication stays in the system?

April 17, 2012 at 11:20 pm
(99) Dizzee says:

I have been taking Singulair for almost 2 yrs and went off of it just two days ago as I read about a weight gain connection. I have been suffering from lethargy and tiredness, but just thought it was due to menopause kicking in. Now I wonder if it is not the Singulair.
Just stopped taking it two days ago and feel a little more ambitious.
I thought the deprression was due to life situation and previous tramatic injury. I watch what I eat and exercise 40-60 minutes a day. Hopefully I will lose weight and be happier without it.

May 9, 2012 at 5:14 pm
(100) Lauraliv says:

I have horrible allergies, I work at a school that has had mold problems.
I took singular to give me some relief from my allergies and to help prevent sinus infections. I was taking it for about 2 weeks when I started noticing mood changes. After I completely stopped, i experienced horrible panic attacks and bouts of crying. I have had to miss work (in a job that I have absolutely love). My family has been worried and stressed out over me. It has been over 1 week and I am just starting to feel a little better. Before singular I loved my life, I am glad I am starting to get it back now but realize how dangerous this drug is for people like myself who are very sensitive medication.

August 2, 2012 at 1:44 am
(101) Xtend2000 says:

I’ve been taking Singular for many, many years. Just recently, I had several unsuccessful attempts, for various reasons, was unable to get the script filled for over 10 days. By the time I got it, I had to question if I really needed it as my symptoms were still under control. I wanted to see if there were any side effects from stopping and found this site. That explains a lot. I never considered myself depressed but the docs say I am because of all the symptoms I have are as you all have described above. Now I will wait and see if I ever feel “energetic” again…

August 4, 2012 at 5:22 pm
(102) RNfromIL says:

I have asthma and have been taking Singulair for 6 weeks. I have had increasing anxiety. I thought it was related to others issues. The anxiety continued to get worse, so I stopped taking Allegra thinking that was the culprit. Nope. Started having terrible panic attacks. Terrible. Finally did a google search for “singulair + panic attacks” and can not believe all the people who have had adverse psychological reactions to Singulair! I had no idea about the FDA warning for possible neuropyschological events. I will not take singulair again….hope it metabolizes out of my system quickly.

September 22, 2012 at 9:06 am
(103) Jeff says:

I have been taking singulair since about 2005. It has worked well in reducing asthma attacks and season allergies that I have.

With that being said I did notice a very severe change in my mood during that time. I did not contribute it to taking singulair at first, but to changes taking place in my life at that time. I’ve never been a depressed person so I knew something wasn’t right. I heard of the link to depression as a side effect of Singulair. I decided about a year ago that I would cut my dose in half and see if that helped things. It did not; and I decided to stop taking singulair last month and have not taken it since.

I feel like my old self again.. I don’t wake up angry at the world and curse my way into work everyday anymore. I have a better outlook, mood, and am happier than I have been in a long time. I have not noticed an increase in attacks so far, so for me it has been okay. I think my asthma is more seasonal. I’m not writing this to speak badly about singulair because for me it did work for its intended purpose and I think for some it may be a fine drug to help asthma. I just want to share my story, I whole heartedly believe that Singulair was the reason for my depression. If you take singulair and suffer from any type of depression, don’t ignore it. Always consult your doctor before you stop taking it, but you may find that helps.

September 22, 2012 at 5:31 pm
(104) PM person says:

Singulair calms me down and slows me down. I cut the tablet in half and do OK, however on days when bad allergies make me take the whole tablet or overlap the 1/2 tabs, then I am slowed to the point of not getting anything done. It is a large improvement on antihistamines for me, however I try to take as little as I can to abate my allergy symptoms due to the inertia I feel. Sometimes a full dose is necessary and unavoidable. It’s a balancing act.

October 7, 2012 at 5:07 pm
(105) Cordelia says:

I have been taking Singulair since my early 30s with excellent results for my exercise induced asthma. About a year ago (44) I was having lots of depression I thought was due to my inability to work out due to a broken wrist. I went off and on, feeling better a few weeks after I went off, then worse when I tried to go off again. After being off for 2 months and having difficulties with asthma, I decided to go back on again. My asthma subsided but my mood keeps getting lower and lower such that I end up crying my eyes out and feeling like giving up. I’m going to try to power through it until I get back into shape. I’m hoping feeling depressed from the weight gain is getting amplified by the meds. If I lose the weight and get in shape on the meds, then maybe I can ween myself off? Also, if I have a few glasses of wine, this is when things seem the worse. I’ve got a bottle of antidepressants I am not willing to take. Maybe exercise was keeping my mood elevated?

October 17, 2012 at 3:32 pm
(106) TinaM says:

I started singular nearly a year ago for allergic rhinitis/reactive airway. I had a sneaking suspicion last spring that maybe the singulair was worsening the symptoms of my effectively treated depression. This fall, I began to proactively head off the allergy symptoms and restarted the singular. After nearly 6 weeks I began to feel the old negative and depressed girl resurrect. I decided to conduct an experiment on myself and changes nothing but the singular. I tapered off using half dose daily for about a week then done. Nearly two weeks have passed since the wean and I am back to feeling NON-deppressed. My only issue now is the allergic symptoms are gaining ground quickly. None the less, glad to know I have not been the only one with this trouble as I had myself believing.

January 10, 2013 at 2:53 pm
(107) allison says:

My daughter had a persistant cough and Singulair was ordered – one each night. She took the med just 3 days – she had symptoms she has never had before. She is almost 19 yrs old. She became fearful, paranoid, anxious, depressed, and of course couldn’t sleep. Took her off immediately. Not very pleasant!

January 15, 2013 at 6:35 am
(108) Mandy says:

I have been on singulair for over ten years. I have also been treated for depression for more than twenty years. I cannot say that the depression has been affected by the singulair. I had a break of four months without the singulair but since restarting it the dression symptoms have returned. Unfortunately I am on other drugs whose side effects list depression, so the link is by no means conclusive.

March 21, 2013 at 7:57 am
(109) Sara says:

I began taking Singulair about 2 weeks ago. After a few days I noticed that my breathing was a little better. Now after 2 weeks there is a significant improvement. About a week after taking the medicine my husband started asking me why I was moping around. I suddenly started feeling sad and hopeless with no energy at all. I have also been feeling very anxious. I think this may be caused by the Singulair. I do not have a history of depression. I do battle with anxiety though. I had no idea about the possible side effects until my sister had mentioned it to me. I am going to stop it for a while and see if there’s improvement. There are other allergy/ asthma meds on the market that don’t have these side effects.

April 4, 2013 at 8:23 pm
(110) Cindy says:

After taking singular for 6weeks I began getting tightness in the throat has any experienced that ?

April 15, 2013 at 1:58 pm
(111) laura says:

i was just put on singular on 4/4, i do have depression and i take prozac for it. on 4/10, i could not get out of bed, was deeply depressed for three days, i thought it might be the singular as it is the only thing that has changed, i can breathe better on these pills but i feel like crap, i will have to contact my dr and see what other options i have. I am out of bed and made it to work so lets home i can stay on the happy side of this.

May 29, 2013 at 11:48 am
(112) cinnamongirl6812 says:

I was prescribed Singulair to treat allergic rhinitis late in 2012. My allergies seemed to be getting worse after the first of the year so my allergist had me taking two pills per day, AM & PM. I started feeling so lethargic and blue. I’ve always, or for as long is I can remember, had some degree of depression but I was attributing these feelings to a “really bad allergy season” and had resigned myself to living with this foggy, down and blue feeling. I had been taking the twice daily dose going on 3 months and was progressively getting worse as far as my mental state was concerned. Finally last week I decided to see my internist who was reviewing my meds and questioned why I was on the twice daily Singulair. I explained that the allergist approved it, along with twice daily Allegra to treat my horrific allergies. My internist felt that this was way too much medication and explained how Singulair can, in some people, effect mood and make depression worse. She suggested that I cut back to just once a day on both medications, but I decided to stop them both completely and I feel so much better. My mood has lifted and my allergies have improved as well. I’m so glad that she reviewed my medications, asked a ton of questions, offered treatment and it worked. I still can’t believe how much better I feel by not taking both of those meds anymore.

September 14, 2013 at 11:29 am
(113) Ann says:

I have been on singular for a couple of years. I ran out of it 3 weeks ago, and for some reason today, I realized how good I was feeling, and it the thought just popped in my head that they could be a connection. I just googled. “Can Singular Cause Depression”, and was shocked to have this tread come up. I have been depressed, just not my usual self, withdrawn, and actually had suicidal thoughts last spring. Thank you to all who posted on this page, and to the person who started the Facebook page. I cannot wait to share this information with my husband. The only reason I was able to experience life again without singular, is that my insurance made me send my prescription through the mail, and it has not come yet.

October 28, 2013 at 12:10 pm
(114) Moufa says:

It made me so depressed , i had nightmares too although it is very good in asthma treatment but i stopped it after one week of taking it.

November 28, 2013 at 5:49 am
(115) Toni says:

I was prescribed Singulair in April 2013 and like many others experienced good management of my asthmatic symptoms but also experienced gradual dip in my mood. Anxious, no motivation which has lead to not wanting to go to the gym and subsequently gaining weight. Normally I can push through the desire to stay in bed and not exercise because of the immediate lift in mood that you feel afterwards but it became virtually impossible to shake that off. I didnt have nightmares specifically but was dreaming more than I can remember. Also very drowsy and generally tearful and down. Stopped taking Singulair and am much brighter and happy. Back to my normal self. I urge people considering this medication to monitor their moods and perhaps ask someone else who knows you well to help you through observation. If you feel yourself getting down. Stop and get something else to manage your asthma. I find taking an antihistamine can help with opening up the airways in the short term.

January 16, 2014 at 9:22 am
(116) Christina says:

I was prescribed singulair and xyzal for my allergies in march of 2013. It helped my itching and breathing tremendously. But since being on it I have had extreme anxiety and sadness. Never once did I think it could be the medicine I take for my allergies. I have missed work had to get on cymbalta and klonopin. After starting taking singulair slowly I started to withdraw from everyone my husband friends and even deleted facebook from being paranoind. Bad feelings have ruled my life since being on the medicine. I had depression 10 years ago but have been just fine since. Seeing that I am not crazy and other people have experienced this as well makes me feel better. I will talk to my doctor about this for sure. Thankyou everyone for describing what you have been through. I pray getting off this medicine will be the answer to my panick attacks.

January 26, 2014 at 10:40 pm
(117) sam says:

Look up the “singulair FDA warnings”- in 2009 the FDA asked Singulair to change its warnings to say that it causes depression and suicidal thoughts and suicide! The stuff is awful! Don’t take it!

February 25, 2014 at 12:57 pm
(118) mel says:

I took Singulair for about a month and believe I suffered severe emotional side effects. Been off for a little over two weeks, but don’t feel 100%. Anyone have any idea/input on how long it takes to recover fully?