1. Health

VLinn from our forum asked the following question:  "I was wondering if any of you were ever afraid to go to a therapist. I'm realizing that I probably need one but I'm too scared. I feel like my situation is too crazy to be dealt with. Maybe not crazy but I'd be embarrassed to release what I would need to talk about. Or that they personally wouldn't agree with certain choices I've made. I'm a very private person I think because it's hard for me to talk about things for fear people will think I'm weird--even close friends or family. But I'm now thinking that what I need to overcome may need help from a 3rd party. I was hoping someone could tell me how they got over being scared of talking to a professional. Any thoughts, advice, or ideas would be helpful."

Have you felt like this before?  What advice would you give her?  Share your thoughts below.

Depression Tests:

Your Healthcare Toolbox:

Comments
January 29, 2007 at 1:43 pm
(1) Anon says:

im in the same predicament as u. i know i need help but i get scared to talk 2 my doctor. ive made appointments so many times and got there and made up some rubbish about having a cols cos im scared he’ll think i’m just over reacting or something. if you work anything out please let me kno

February 7, 2011 at 3:47 pm
(2) pam says:

nice to know i not on own needed a review of meds 4 wks since before got repeat script!at moment prefer to do without than sit and explain yet again something i dont even understsnd myself:prob wait again till i have a good day before i manage to go and then will present as if no problem

April 22, 2007 at 10:06 pm
(3) Someone Who Goes to Therapy... says:

I understand how you feel about seeing a therapist. Believe me, I’m a very anxious person and hate opening up to people and talking about myself too. I don’t know if I have any good advice on getting the nerve up to see one; you just have to do it. But please remember that a good therapist is open to a lot of different perspectives and views, and will provide a good space for you to talk about any sort of trouble or anxiety you might be feeling. They’re trained to work with people. My therapist was very understanding about my anxiety over seeing her, and I’m glad I go to her.

July 14, 2008 at 1:13 am
(4) Jennifer D. says:

I need to talk to a therapist really bad because i might end up doing something and i dont want to worry my friends and i doubt my family would even notice.

Can someone tell me where I can find one?

August 3, 2008 at 12:35 am
(5) Same says:

You should just go do it. If your doctor is any good, they will take you seriously and not critize you. If they do, then go to another. Trust me, feeling like that isn’t worth it and I finally got so sick of feeling that way that I finally talked to mine and she was really good about it. If anything effects you that much, it’s important to you to talk to someone who can help. Just think about being able to be happy for once and let that drive you to do what you need to. Don’t belittle yourself by sayings it’s too stupid, or I’m just overreacting. It matters to you so it’s important enough.

August 9, 2009 at 2:46 pm
(6) Marie says:

If you are feeling better being able to admit to yourself that you are open to another viewpoint of your thinking, dont be afraid of yourself, trust yourself. That is all a therapist is doing, facilitating your own thoughts and if you are confused and don’t have any answers that are realistic, take the step today to find a mental health professional to guide you to a happier, more peaceful you.

I started going for issues relating to another person who was impacting my life so negatively that I thought I was going to go crazy. Honest to God, and once I utilized the skills of a mental health professional, my thinking process has dramatically improved. It is a journey and the best one you will ever have the pleasure of taking .. the discovery of “you” .. I am discovering “me” and she isn’t all that bad as I have been led to believe by controllers in my life. That’s another improvement, recognizing the controllers and what I have been challenged with by my therapist if “why have I allowed other people to control me?” why did I feel the need to be controlled… that is my big step. I feel blessed to have this knowledge and happy to pass it on to this group .. just saw this group on my Yahoo page.

Whether you have medical coverage or not, there is always a way to find a counselor or therapist.
Call you provider number and get referred to mental health services
From there you will eventually find a list of individuals and/or organizations that will be able to direct you to a person/number. Make the first appointment .. don’t share will too many others .. the less that know your personal business, the less that you won’t have to worry about trusting. Believe me, I have been burnt by those who were suppose to have loved me. The important step is not to absorb anybody elses judgment of your choice to seek our a therapist.

When you go, it will be easy to tell whether you believe this person and you will have a rapport to recognize the best possible results for you.

I have a wonderful therapist in the NY / NEPA area if anybody would like his name. Otherwise, just follow the advice of your medical insurance.

If you don’t have coverage there are mental health clinics and organizaions that provide service and they can be just as beneficial as a paid mental health care provider. Look online for your State and Mental Health Section .. .and they should be able to lead you there.

Good Luck and Blessings.
I am happy to share my knowledge if anybody wants to respond .. in a responsible manner.
Marie
PA

August 9, 2009 at 10:29 pm
(7) Ms. V says:

You can do it! The first time is the hardest. You will cry alot at first. I find I am better with a woman than a man. I have man issues so I think they are critical of my situation, I’m sure they are not, but I still feel I can tell another women something and she will understand better. Not every thearpist is the right one, so if you don’t feel comfortable with them after the second visit try to find another one, I promise you will find one that you like and they will make sense of what you are feeling, sometimes they help and sometimes they don’t, it’s all up to us. If were depressed because of a personal problem, stress, ect. they will help, if we are depressed because of a embalance in our system medicine will help to get you back on track and sometimes you will need both. OH, you can tell the thearpist anything, your darkest, deepest secrets and they will not judge you or think your crazy, they are there to take your hand and guide you through the maze that you are walking thru right now. I hope peace finds you!

August 12, 2009 at 6:45 am
(8) Greg says:

I think it’s hard for all of us that suffer with mental illness.And i know for myself im very concious what i say and how i say it, i certainly dont want their veiw pressed upon me all i want is for them to listen and try to understand what is happening to me.
In saying all that please be careful who you get and make sure you are happy with that person,and after a few sessions you dont feel that its going how you want it then think seriously about asking for someone else.
The other thing that helped me was a close freind to new me well, came to one or two sessions and that helped heaps.
Well i wish you all the best and hope things get easyer for you.If you ever want to chat then i can reconmend Deppression Haven jump online and you will find that we all in there are very supportive.
Take care
Greg

August 12, 2009 at 5:13 pm
(9) AspiretoInspire says:

I have had and still do have my own issues with dealing with depression. I think we all have different things we go through in life that makes us sad and some have had it worse then others. I also think if you are afraid you are going to loose it and like no one cares around you that may be partialy true. But at least you care because if you didn’t you would not be on here. Even though I don’t know you I care too. I have been there. Many people have and still are. More people then you reolize care. The most important thing though is that you care.

I am not religious but I am spiritual. I believe we are all here for a reason. These things we go through in life are to test what we should have learned by now and if we haven’t they are here to re teach us and make us stronger. We are not our jobs or our past or our things. We just are.

Forget what people say to you and what sad things have happened to you and start over right now. That is the great thing about life. Every day when you wake up you can choose to be happy and have a good day or to let your mind dwell on the past or current situations you are not happy with. If you are not happy change. What makes you happy? Start there. Write down all the things that make you happy and surround your self with more of that. For me when I start to feel down I have some happy music I listen to or I will go for a walk or I write down what I am not happy about and make plans for how I can change those things.

Just please do not ever think you are alone. You are not. We are all family as far as I am concerned. We all have great unique qualities that no one else can take from us. Those qualities are what makes us all so special and beautifull.

I hope this helps someone and much love to you all.

If you have found this and it does not help you keep searching something will. You are not alone.

April 29, 2010 at 11:57 pm
(10) ana says:

i really need help i want to die

July 22, 2010 at 9:32 pm
(11) lucky says:

I am going through the same problem and its so severe I need help immediately. I have an appointment next mon and I want to know if its possible that my therapist would give me meds on the 1st visit