1. Health

Nancy Schimelpfening

Become a Positive Thinker

By August 2, 2011

Did you know that you can talk yourself right into a funk? Think about it. How good would you feel after calling yourself a fat, lazy pig? You'd feel pretty down on yourself, right? What if you turned it around and said something loving and nurturing to yourself? What if you forgave yourself for your emotional eating and decided to speak to yourself with kindness the next time those feelings of frustration popped up? Chances are you'd feel better. Learning to be a more positive thinker is just one way you can help yourself become less depressed.

Want to learn more about how to turn your negative thoughts around?  Try this article.

Comments
July 9, 2008 at 7:34 am
(1) Wendy Aron says:

When I turned forty and was still single I started thinking that I would never meet anyone, but I changed my thinking and repeated to myself that there were eligible men everywhere…and lo and behold I met my husband.

Wendy Aron, author of Hide & Seek: How I Laughed at Depression, Conquered My Fears and Found Happiness

July 9, 2008 at 8:05 am
(2) Ankineedu Prasad Valluru says:

Thinking positive hmm,I was and amsuffering from depression from a long time.In the process of handling it even got addicted to substance abuse and tried harming self.Today am in a much better state.Yes,thinking positive has done a lot of good to me.I was never good at expressing my feelings and that had done a lot of damage.I learnt it in the hard way after promising my mother’i will not do any insane act come what may’.I think that started my 1st genuine expression of self.I took stock of my entire life and wrote it down.For the 1st time I became willing and honest though it was again painfull and depressing. But this time I was talking and listening to people.Started to appreciate those little things in life and understood value of grattitude.This is true Grattitude helped me in the long run,people started appreciating me and communicating with respect.For the 1st time again surprizingly am also liking myself for being able to acknowledge shortcomings in my personality and actually not get depressed about it.I understood it is how i perceive things that alters my mind state and it is me who needs to stop procrastinating and do something about my problem.I asked forhelp and found it.There are people around[ no more lonely]to help and i received help from internet sites like About.com; and most importantly be greatfull and pray to God.Have faith, there are lot of others who are under previlaged than me.I can always improve my self and my state of life. Believe me there won’t be time to brood or get drowned in selfpity.

July 9, 2008 at 8:36 am
(3) Norman Lepoff, M.D. retired says:

It is very hard to think positive when everything in your world is collapsing. Positive thinking sounds good, but it is not realistic. It reminds me of “cognitive therapy” which I think is a bunck of jibberish designed to make the therapists and doctors alot of money as people continue suffer. If this “positive thinking” and “cognitive therapy” is so good there would not be so many sick people with severe depression.

July 9, 2008 at 1:14 pm
(4) Sue says:

I have to agree with Norman. I think you are born with a certain amount of happy neurotransmitters in your brain. My whole family suffers from dreprssion. I will drive to work and say possitive things all the way but my life still sucks. I feel like I am 6 feet under trying to pull myself up with my fingernails and just pull more dirt down on me. Some people have things fall into place for them and others just dont.

July 9, 2008 at 7:41 pm
(5) Steve says:

The first 2 people that left comments say positive things about positive thinking and the 2nd two have negative things to say about positive thinking. Personally I am in the process of correcting negative thinking and I can tell you it is NOT an instant healing. Like most good things that we have to attain, it takes much work and much effort. I do believe it does help. Perhaps it is not the cure all, but many people such as the first two commentators say it has helped them a great deal. Just because someone with a M.D. attached to their name says something bad about positive thinking, do not let that hinder you. Obviously pills that doctors are often so quick to dispense are not the answer, but they do help some people while others it makes matters worse. Do research from patients in either case. Hit your depression from varying angles.

July 10, 2008 at 7:27 pm
(6) entEngle says:

The X just forwarded this to me. She dumped me
after a 20yr. marriage, for a younger man. I
was diagnosed with Bipolar II, 2 yrs after the
divorce. Perhaps her guilt made her toss such a lame crumb as this in my direction. I find this to be insulting to anyone who is truly depressed. GEE! All I need is to be positive. I never HAD thought of that! Give me a speck of credit for my own intelligence. And Nancy, if that’s all you got, GIVE IT UP! You’re a
freaky fraud. No better than that X I ‘have’.

July 11, 2008 at 12:27 am
(7) Caramel. says:

People always tell me to think positively but my thinking negatively IS THE DEPRESSION. What are all these doctors thinking telling us to think positively? That is clearly the root. I don’t know HOW to think good thoughts. I think everyone who has depression knows that they must have positive thoughts to be happy. Telling us to do that equates telling us “Just be happy!” It doesn’t work that way. Clearly the people who advocate for postive thinking have never been depressed before.

July 13, 2008 at 9:41 pm
(8) MARTHA says:

I REALLY CAN SAY THAT POSITIVE THOUGHTS CAN CHANGE OUR LIVES. I HAVE APPLY THIS IN MY LIVE THIS YEAR AND A LOT OF CHANGES ARE GOING THROUGH.I HAVE BEEN IN TREAMENT FOR DEPRESSION FOR SIX YEARS BUT NEVER FILL BETTER THAN NOW.WE CAN’NT LEAVE OUR TREATMENTS BUT IMPROVE OUR WAY OF LIVING. DO IT!!!!!!!!PLEASE

July 14, 2008 at 2:43 pm
(9) Norman Lepoff, M.D. (retired) says:

I never said that positive thinking is “bad.” Sue sums up my position well. When your brain is in a biochemical mess, and your world truly is falling apart, you cannot cure it with positive thinking or cognitive therapy which I still think is a farce, especially for those of us who are in severe mental anguish and are suffering so immensly. Modern Medicine has failed those of us who fit in this category and “modern therapy” just means that you spend hours of your time and a lot of your money to hear “everything will be ok, look at the bright side.” Then you return to your world of misery as soon as you leave the office. The “modern meds” are rarely effective and are very dangerous with horrible side effects. I do not condone pushing them like the Psychiatrists do, either. I was in the world of living hell which I call the abyss of depression and I had to pull myself out of it. I know what I am talking about. I am a doctor as well as a patient.

July 15, 2008 at 12:54 am
(10) MARTHA says:

I’m bipolar 2,I know that some chemical transmisors in my brain are not ok.for me it’s working all this of positive thougths. some people don’t beleive because it’s easier to stay the way you are,feeling sorry of the sickness.All is up to you where you want to be,feel.
Each time i was in bad mood I injury myself and all my world was black but I’ve learn that I am very special and to love me every day.(SORRY IF MY ENGLISH ISN’T THAT GOOD ,I’M
PERUVIAN)

July 30, 2008 at 1:54 am
(11) Cathy says:

I agree with Caramel. People who were taught to value themselves at a young age find it much easier to think positively than those who were constantly criticized or devalued. But it can be learned. It takes a lot of work and practice and it is more complicated than just, “Don’t worry, be happy.”

And, entEngle, blaming your X for your unhappiness won’t help you feel right, either.

August 2, 2008 at 1:28 pm
(12) T says:

How can you think positively in such a crappy world? Monopolizing Corporations, declining resources, scams, murders for 20 bucks & a pair of shoes, overpopulation, the lack of choices in polititians, tax breaks for the rich, small business owners taxed out of existance, olympians wearing gas masks, come on – should I go on. It’s a constant battle in my mind to say that life is really worth it. It doesn’t matter if I think I’m worth it or not or if my brain pan can handle the negative scars of the years I’ve been through. When the going gets tough the tough get going. If you cant handle it – there’s always suicide prevention hotline.
Stick your meds!!!!
Dont worry, be happy…priceless!!!

October 22, 2008 at 11:45 pm
(13) entEngle says:

Cathy (my X’s name, too!),
I wasn’t focusing on the SOURCE of my depressions
with my earlier comment. IF one were to read the
comment completely, you’d realize such shocking
irony: how my wife DUMPED me (after 20 yrs.) and
THEN sent me this ‘article’. I was focusing on
the insensitivities purveyed by the Dr. Phils of
this world. Bobby McFerrin sucks for it, too!
Strike me with that magic wand, won’t you?

September 2, 2009 at 10:39 pm
(14) Len says:

I have tried every anti-deppresant since the 1980′s. Nothing helped. I took them for the required time (usally 2 months) to see if they were going to work. Nothing, not even any withdrawal symptoms when I was taken off them.
They just don’t help some people and I really suspect some of the people they do help have very big imaginations. Positive or cognitive therapies might help those who are mildly depressed, but in my opinion those would be the only ones.

February 19, 2010 at 10:19 pm
(15) Belinda says:

T…you speak so much truth.

June 9, 2011 at 10:59 pm
(16) jenny says:

i agree with u belinda!!

June 9, 2011 at 10:57 pm
(17) jenny says:

…being positive gave me a very strong foundation in life…and im proud for being one of the positive lady in the depressing world of us,,!!

August 31, 2011 at 6:49 pm
(18) LeEtta says:

I have tried everything for depression, nothing has worked for me. I’m tired, tired of being sad, depressed, lonely,cant sleep. I was laid off after many years at this company, so now I am depressed unemployeed. I have no medical insurance a ymore so I cant even get help. All I want to do is lay in bed and watch tv. I have no friends, my family I keep away. I’m in a funk I cant get out of. I need help but no money insurance. Lost in kansas

December 29, 2011 at 11:13 pm
(19) santwana says:

Its ridiculous when people say that think positive to a person from depression.Just ask a sufferer.

December 20, 2012 at 1:37 pm
(20) Natalia says:

I don’t know what to write because I just can’t think straght. I am very depressed and just waiting for the medicine to work. It’s so unbarable and so lonely and scary. Please pray for me. I want to be able to think clear and to love and be able feeling peace in my soul. Please God help me!