1. Health

Nancy Schimelpfening

National Survivors of Suicide Day 2012

By November 5, 2012

On Saturday, November 17, 2012, the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP) will be sponsoring its 14th annual National Survivors of Suicide Day. This event, designed to reach out to those who have lost a loved one to suicide, offers participants a chance to connect with other survivors for support and healing.

Conferences will be offered in over 300 cities nationwide, as well as online on AFSP's website.  Afterward, there will be an online chat for survivors.  Many of the conference sites will also hold panel discussions, workshops and other activities both for survivors and for professionals.

Related Articles:

Comments
November 14, 2007 at 1:01 pm
(1) Lynn says:

Don’t you consider those of us who have tried to commit suicide (in my case numerous times and over many years)and who have overcome the urge/need SURVIVORS? I am a SURVIVOR with help from my loved ones, a few good friends – I include my 2 therapists – and a small flicker of life somewhere so deep I did not know that it existed. I still struggle with depression, anxiety, bipolar, etc. Sometimes I think about it, but I have learned how to reach out. I am a SURVIVOR. I hope to remain a SURVIVOR for many long years to come. It is a day-to-day thing.

November 14, 2007 at 7:34 pm
(2) Gregg says:

I would agree with Lynn. I too am a survivor. One of the best books I have ever read is “How I stayed Alive when my brain was trying to kill me” by Susan Rose Blaunder.

My depression cost me my family,employment and friends. I can get those back in time. If I would have killed me I would not. I have rapid cycling bipolar.

Yes I am a survivor too! Glad you are here Lynn!!

November 4, 2008 at 11:47 pm
(3) Tiffany says:

I have tried to commit several times acctually, and i was very depressed. note that im only 15!

February 2, 2009 at 3:09 pm
(4) Shawn says:

I too thought the suicide survivor would be me! Can anything be about me! : )

I’m trying to get past a dark tunnel now. I am convincing myself that I will be a Survivor. I will be looking back on this time now as a survivor.

November 25, 2009 at 8:43 am
(5) paul dobson says:

Have to take deep breaths, chest pain, loss of income through forced retirement, feel very bad. Lost wife and sister to drunk driver, wounded several times in the army, feel like if I wasn’t here no one would notice or care. feel bad.

November 17, 2010 at 9:20 am
(6) Becky says:

Not dying by suicide, is not the same as surviving suicide. That would be like calling someone who survived an attempted homocide, a homocide survivor.
I am grateful that many times some people’s lives are saved by the intervention of family and friends, however, while I am NOT a suicide survivor, the survivors are a dreadfully overlooked majority!
To have someone you know and love take their life, and leave you with nothing more than questions and anger and resentment for being so selfish…to always wonder what you should have/could have done differently…to question whether this is in option in your life…thereby creating more survivors who will suffer the same cycle! OMG! I can not imagine how I could survive a day with those thoughts in my mind!
I for one am very glad there is a day to remember the people who did not make the paper, who struggle everyday to make sense out of the life left behind and especially those who use their pain to change policies and add services that were not there before, so that those who are suffering can receive help and not end their life when so much more is left to be done in the world!
If you know a suicide survivor, call them…let them know, you are there if they want to talk, or just say ‘hi! I was thinking about you!’

November 17, 2010 at 9:26 am
(7) Becky says:

Paul…please call 1-800-273-TALK, (1-800-273-8255)or 1-800-784-2433!
People care, and hope can seem like it is not there, but given time, hope glimmers! PLEASE don’t hurt yourself!
Write and write, it will help get your feelings out!

November 17, 2010 at 9:51 am
(8) Otto says:

Hi,

I am a survivor of my suicide plans and attempts as well. However, I believe “Our” category is more of depressive suicidal types, or “second chancers in life” if you want to put a label to us.
Learning to help ourselves out of depression also means looking out for others; practicing empathy. Depression is self-serving. In a depressive state we are mostly putting ourselves first. Hence the “what about me, I’m a survivor too” type comments in this forum.
The survivors in the context of the article are those who stayed back in life and have to go through the trauma caused by their loved ones who committed suicide. Bless their hearts, and may they recover and stay strong.
By the way, I love this website, and all the information given on depression and suicide awareness. I always believed the first step to fight depression and suicide is by learning and knowing what you are fighting against. After 25 plus years of living with depression, thanks to what I learned from this website and other resources, I am depression free–naturally and with no meds. It is no easy feat, but now I know it can be done.

November 17, 2010 at 4:10 pm
(9) Jeff says:

I am a survivor….. Still going through many struggles.

It’s nice to see interest in this ongoing problem.

Thank You…..for your work and you kindness.

November 18, 2010 at 10:26 am
(10) Eric in Missouri says:

I just read the most amazing book about a woman’s triumphant fight against suicidal depression, and the seven lifestyle changes she has used to stay healthy and off meds for over a decade. The book is “Laughing Again” by Roxanne Renee. I got to meet the author, and she is a wonderful person. She has devoted herself full-time to combating depression, one of the most debilitating illnesses on our planet today.

November 18, 2010 at 11:55 am
(11) smk says:

I am a survivor of suicide. My family are surivivors of suicide.
My depression has come close to taking my life a few times and my family and myself have had to learn how to fight the struggle everyday to come out as survivors. Those who loose the battle and leave family to surivior need our support and compassion. Each battle is a struggle for life and each family and sufferer need the communities support and resources to win over depression and emotional illness.

Less stigma and more integrity about the roles we all have in the fight.

November 29, 2010 at 10:57 pm
(12) mark says:

@Lynn

Try harder.

November 7, 2012 at 3:37 pm
(13) Lizzie says:

Those who actually want to kill themselves wind up in a morgue, not brought into an ER, “Found,” by some poor relative or friend that has been sapped of everything by you. ‘m sick of you, “Suicidal,” people. It’s one thing to think about it. It’s the greatest when people pack their bags and come into the ER stating they want to hurt themselves. They don’t, they are just relying on a broken system.

Survivors are those left behind without answers, without explanations, with feelings of guilt constantly questioning, “What could I have done?”

November 15, 2012 at 2:41 pm
(14) Jan says:

I am a suicide survivor. Each way you want to see it, I have survived suicide myself and I am a left-behind survivor of my Uncle and 2 friends who have comitted suicide. It’s awful both ways.