1. Health

Nancy Schimelpfening

Weight Loss and Zoloft

By July 30, 2013

From our forum:

Just found your forums and it seems like a good place for info. I was just wondering if anyone has had a great deal of weight loss on Zoloft?

I've lost at least 15 lbs since May, but I'm only 5'2 so it's very apparent. I also have no sex drive, and I have regular memory lapses, like when you're forgetting why you went upstairs or walked into a room.

Are these side effects temporary or will I have them the whole time I'm on Zoloft. My doc knows about all this, but she upped the meds to 100mg a day as well as ordered a round of blood tests to rule out anything else.

Any info/experiences would be appreciated.

-- Ellaina

Has Zoloft caused you to lose weight?  Leave your comment below.

Related Articles:

Depression Tests:

Your Healthcare Toolbox:

Comments
July 25, 2012 at 9:45 am
(1) Jett Girl says:

dammit no i haven’t lost weight from zoloft :( i found i was forgetting to eat the first couple of days on it (i started at 50mg) but i think that was just low level nausea from starting the new pill, and it didn’t last. but yes i get that what i call ‘brain fog’, general muddy-headedness and some forgetfulness. having said that i find the depression itself does that to me too so i don’t know. definitely especially the higher the dose the more it killed my libido, and my ability to orgasm. this is a huge deal to me, partly because my sex drive to me is an energy/one of the life-force-type things that can fight my depression. so it’s a paradoxical effect. i have actually lowered my dose (back down to 50 at the moment, but depending on how things are going at work/in life i might need to up that) because of this, because it’s important enough to me. i hate that women’s sex drive isn’t seen as important (we’re not supposed to like sex anyway?) so we just have to live with this side effect. because having said all that zoloft has saved my life, and is the only anti-depressant that has ever worked for me, i am so grateful i finally found it after trying seemingly everything else on the planet. p.s. when i tried once going over 200mg (when my life was being very difficult and i wasn’t coping on less) i got bad knee pain (i also got this when i tried adding wellbutrin to try to counteract the brain fog and loss of libido, so i had to stop that too). good luck working out what works best for you, it sounds like your doctor listens to you which is awesome

July 25, 2012 at 10:19 am
(2) Ohiomom says:

No, I have been on Zoloft off & on for 8 years, the last year or so I have taken 200 mg. I had lap band surgery in April & that is the only reason I have lost any weight. I did have some weight loss with Effexor a few years ago but had anxiety issues with it.

July 25, 2012 at 1:31 pm
(3) Maryanne says:

Depression is a very complex illness. I cannot comment on Zoloft but identified with your memory lapses and low sex drive.

No two depressions are alike but the symptoms are similar. How is your appetite? Are you eating enough protein, complex carbs and veggies? Eating regularly is the first step for depression recovery. I cannot say enough how protein affects your brain chemistry and neurotransmitters. For the first year and half of my depression, I did not want to eat and had no appetite. In my case, my weight went up instead of down because I was depriving my body of essential nutrients. Today, I still struggle with my appetite but eat the right foods regularly and have lost weight.

My MDD (depression) also affected my cognitive abilities which has interfered with my daily life activities. At times I felt so frustrated with memory lapses. Today, I am gentle with myself. My doctor assures me when the depression lifts so will the cognitive impairments. It takes as long as it takes in depression recovery. Have you considered having your cognitive skills tested?

As for the low sex drive, it does get better. My husband and I are very affectionate with each other. Patience.

Recovery blessings,

Maryanne

July 25, 2012 at 2:53 pm
(4) Edith says:

Well, I used to be on a generic of Zoloft in various doses in combination with olanzapine for 2.5 years, and olanzapine, as it always does caused a slow, steady weight gain. I ended up a bit on the overweight side but I had decent muscle underneath the fat because of a good exercise routine and I felt very well physically.
After dropping olanzapine, I experienced a severe appetite loss and have been losing weight for the last 10 months non-stop. It has been minus 44 pounds by now. The degree of appetite loss varies with time a bit, there are better and worse weeks. On the better ones I will eat around two square meals a day, but barely any breakfast and no snacking. If it gets bad, I might only eat a bi tif someone puts a good looking meal in front of me and insists I eat.

July 25, 2012 at 10:50 pm
(5) carolmj says:

Wish Zoloft WOULD make me lose weight, but one thing I do like, is that I’m sleeping better that have in years!

July 25, 2012 at 10:54 pm
(6) carolmj says:

No wt loss, but much better sleep!

July 26, 2012 at 3:59 am
(7) John says:

Ive been on Zoloft about 13 years now .It has not affected my weight nor eating .

July 26, 2012 at 10:53 am
(8) Kathleen Schneider says:

There is NO “test” for manic-depression, forgetting eating, and losing weight. The SSRI’s, the class of antidepressants to which Zoloft belongs, can produce mania is some individuals. READ THE WARNINGS. Weight loss is often a symptom of bi/polar.

July 26, 2012 at 5:17 pm
(9) sandy lewis says:

I havent lost weight with Zoloft but I am forgetful alot. I wish I could lose weight cause it really is something I need to do for my health.
I am bipolar and have meds for that too.

July 26, 2012 at 7:22 pm
(10) carolinmary says:

In order to loose weight avoid simple carbohydrates. They are considered sugars and, as such, provide less vitamins and minerals leading to earlier hunger pangs. But complex carbohydrates like vegetables not only supply sugars but also heaps of vitamins and minerals, essential for your system. Hunger pangs are your body’s way of telling you it is in need of some vitamin, mineral, or trace element. If that is not available from the food you have just consumed, you will get hungry again sooner, and sooner, until the body gets what it wants.

Vegetables are called complex carbohydrates because they take longer to digest, but have heaps of nutrients such as vitamins, minerals and trace elements and give you more, and sustained, energy.
Vegetables, together with beans and pulses also contain more than enough protein to meet your demands for cell growth.

Our three meals a day of wholesome foods contain lots more nutrients than our body needs. In order to loose weight, we need to live on complex carbohydrates until we reach the weight we want to be on, and then slowly re-introduce simple carbohydrates and proteins in minimal amounts to maintain our new weight.
And avoid allergens. As the body does not digest and utilize anything you are allergic to it tends to convert it into fats to be stored in adipose tissue. If you are not sure what you are allergic to, avoid all dairy products, potatoes, (use sweet potato instead) onions (use leek or shallots), food colouring, M.S.G and anything else you suspect of not belonging in the “food” classification. These are the most common allergens and responsible for piling on weight.

July 26, 2012 at 9:58 pm
(11) Lisa says:

In my experience, when you are in the beginning stages of taking Zoloft, it does suppress your appetite and I too, lost weight. I also have memory lapses and it totally diminishes libido. But, I found after being on it for long term, I actually gained weight, and the libido got somewhat improved. I kind of feel there are trade offs with each type of depression meds. You just have to see which suits you with least problems.

July 26, 2012 at 10:11 pm
(12) Annemarie says:

Actually Zoloft made me gain weight, the combination of Zoloft and my thyroid medication made it really hard for me to lose weight. I have since got off Zoloft and changed to Wellbutrin, and I started losing weight immediately. Luckily my sex drive was not diminished at all with Zoloft. Seems it affects everyone differently!

July 27, 2012 at 6:54 am
(13) Jett Girl says:

I just thought to add, sometimes starting on an antidepressant can give you some anxiety at first, and if you’re someone who tends not to eat/to lose weight when you’re anxious that might be what’s happened. The good news is that that initial anxiety is only short term.

July 28, 2012 at 7:09 am
(14) MyrtleBeachBeachBum says:

My family doctor prescribed Zoloft for me after a very severe personal tragedy. He continued it because I was then diagnosed with chronic depression. I absolutely hated this drug.

I don’t remember any weight loss, but my sex drive was horrible when I was on Zoloft. I wasn’t really disinterested, but I did have some performance problems and when I was able to perform, I received very little satisfaction.

I also have some problems with memory loss and it made me very lethargic much of the time. I seemed to stay drowsy.

After about 5 or 6 months of feeling frustrated, my doctor switched me to Wellbutrin. All those side effects went away within days.

Zoloft may be a good drug for some people, but it unquestionably did not agree with me.

July 31, 2012 at 11:05 pm
(15) johnM says:

The fact that you have lost that amount of weight on Zoloft sounds like an anomaly. I think the weight gain issue with Zoloft is a difficult one to deal with. When I took it, it put weight on me. I work out 4 days a week at the gym and eat a good diet. I did stop the rx. I truly believe that talk about diet and exercise is not the issue with this medication. I have read that it truly does slow your metabolism and therefore resultant weight gain. Also, it does enhance your appetite; however, I believe we are really looking at the metabolism issue. I hope you find a medication that is better suited for you; as; you really are looking at a health issue given what you are saying. For others, zoloft really works and I support each and everyone of them.

August 2, 2012 at 10:54 am
(16) Florence Hensley says:

Most patients that I have taken care of with Zoloft have had a weight gain, rather than a weight loss. However, it is considered a psychotropic and more recently a neuroleptic. Some psychotropics could have an initial weight loss, but it generally does not last. Some psychiatrist will add a little bit of a type of a amphetamine to woman who seem to gain weight from Zoloft, but that is not a very common practice among the psychiatrists that I have known.

I would say that talking to your psychiatrist about this concern may be warranted. However, I have seen people with other problems, for example hypoglycemia, lose 15 pounds in two weeks after put on a hypoglycemic diet. Zoloft is one that warrants attention with side effects since it is a neuroleptic. Neuroleptics can cause side effects that can last a lifetime if they are not treated quick enough, so be sure to talk with your psychiatrist about any concerns that you have.

August 6, 2012 at 1:31 pm
(17) claire says:

Hello! Answering to Ellaina. When I was on antidepressant I never lost a gram. In fact I gain some 20 pounds. But 2 years ago, I was just about to turn 60, I lost around 25 to 30 pounds, which is really not normal when one is past menopause. It took over a year for a doctor to figure out that I had celiac desease. Maybe should you look on that side. It only takes a specific blood test. Good luck!

September 12, 2012 at 10:48 am
(18) Cheryl says:

After 14 yrs on Zoloft (100mg & brand name) with great results; no ins.and rising cost dictated going on generic sertraline. Luckily I never had a decrease in sex drive like with other antidepressants. Now with Greenstone brand comes the loss of sex drive and the inability to orgasm. Anyone experience this effect?

September 20, 2012 at 6:07 pm
(19) Monica says:

I have been taking the generic zoloft for 4 months now and seriously considering quitting bc of all the weight i keep losing. It’s to the point where it’s scary…I feel like one of those nasty bony pictures you see on the tabloids. I eat very well and don’t have any reason why I should be dropping the lbs. I no longer have insurance and sure as heck can’t afford to see a Dr…Could it be something else causing the weight loss? Some other side effects I’ve experienced are loss of sex drive, dizziness and memory loss. Has no one else seriously experienced weight loss??

September 21, 2012 at 9:19 am
(20) Donna says:

sertraline for 4 months.Scary weight loss. Hasnt helped my anxiety. Tapering off. 5 foot 88 lbs.

September 21, 2012 at 11:15 am
(21) Donna says:

To Monica——Are we allowed to exchange phone numbers or e-mails ?Would like to talk to you

October 8, 2012 at 1:03 pm
(22) Kristina says:

sertraline for 3 months… fast weight loss about 20 pounds, but I also just had a baby… so that also could contribute…. anxiety is much better, i get occassional headaches, but tylonol helps with that. no change in sex drive.

October 8, 2012 at 2:05 pm
(23) Donna says:

To Kristina—I have been looking at this site every day hoping Monica will write back.I took sertraline for 4 months. Made me feel worse,Anxiety /panic symptoms coming & going 24 hrs.Very little sleeping.Head discomfort.Stomach problems/constipation ,weight loss–down to 88 pounds. I tapered down on dosage & last dose was Sept.27. I feel better.Dr. & nurse telling me to up the dosage .I dont want to up the dosage on med that makes me feel worse than I felt before starting the med

October 8, 2012 at 8:39 pm
(24) Aj says:

I just got a prescription for sertraline & these stories are scarring me! I hvnt taken it yet & also went on the web site & looked at the warning. Scary stuff!!!!

October 8, 2012 at 10:19 pm
(25) Donna says:

Some people say putting up with some side effects is not as bad as the anxiety etc. they are treating, but why add more health problems that usually require more meds. I am very afraid of meds & I am sorry that I finally agreed to take sertraline. I had the prescription for 5 days before I decided to take it. I was reading comments of excessive weight gain but weight can go either way.

October 26, 2012 at 9:43 am
(26) Rachel says:

I just increased to 75mg and am losing weight. I have noticed a decrease in appetite but emotionally i feel great! I feel really good about myself for the first time in years! And honestly, i could stand to lose a few. Also, my libido is normal

October 26, 2012 at 2:55 pm
(27) Confused says:

On Sertraline 50MG. Have gained close to 15 lbs. Not happy. Just called the pharmacist today to ask the doctor for brand name Zoloft. I took that several years ago and had no weight gain. I am hoping that it is the generic. I am in my 50′s now. Not sure if that is the difference. No hot flashes since starting the Sertraline. Not sure what would make me “happier”. Thinner and cranky or fatter and calm??

November 1, 2012 at 7:38 pm
(28) Allison says:

I was just prescribed Zoloft for depression and bulimia. I start taking it today. It will be devastating to me if I gain weight. I’m sick sick sick of being this way. I pray that it works.

November 11, 2012 at 1:28 pm
(29) Sara says:

I was on zoloft twice….first time for a year second time for 2 years. I lost weight too and never gained it back until I stopped the zoloft. I am 5’2″ as well and am a small person. I would have to force myself to eat some days but would get hungry too and eat a lot on others. It never put weight on me regardless of what I ate or how much I exercised. People would comment on how “tiny” i was. I cut it down to 25mgs myself and that helped to at least make me stop losing so much. 50mgs made me way too skinny. My depression is back after 10 months of stopping it so going back on it tomorrow. I thought the hardest part of being on it was the crazy dreams. Better than depression though….by a long shot!

December 27, 2012 at 10:53 am
(30) Anja says:

I have been on Sertraline for about three months now and I have lost almost 10 lbs. I used to exercise 3-5 times a week and eat very healthy and I never lost this kind of weight. I still try to work out as much as possible and eat healthy but not as much as I used to and I am still losing weight. This is the skinniest I have been since junior high. Everyone keeps commenting on how small I look but I’m not even trying! It’s weird. Some days I eat a lot and other days I have a very small appetite or none at all. My libido seems to be the same and my mood is great! I haven’t felt any severe anxiety symptoms at all since the first couple weeks. I do have very vivid dreams though and I remember them really well!

January 4, 2013 at 10:29 am
(31) Nic says:

I have recently just started Zoloft and have had some weight loss. It has only been about 5 to 10 lbs but I think mine is due to how I acted experiencing anxiety. When I get really stressed, I eat… a lot! Now, I am not as stressed and don’t feel the need to eat every 5 minutes.

I was experiencing memory loss prior to using Zoloft again due to the extreme anxiety I was under and couldn’t control.

January 11, 2013 at 10:04 pm
(32) chela says:

I’ve been on sertraline for about 4 months, diagnosed with PTSD and anxiety. I have lost 20+ lbs, and seem to be losing still. Have been ok with weight loss, as was reaching the obese cutoff…I’m 5’1″. now ~106lb. I get severe headaches, but they always correlate with days I forgot to eat. Trying to make a point of keeping a healthy diet. My psychiatric symptoms are so much better, I feel like I’ve been handed a new life. Even my dreams are more “normal”, meaning that my nightmares have also subsided. Can’t comment on libido, still have stuff to work on. Life is better for me with this drug. Will keep an eye on my weight. Thanks to you all for sharing.

March 17, 2013 at 8:41 am
(33) Tim says:

@chela…hi I was given the med for PTSD and Anxiety as well. I just started taking it so I can’t really comment on it. May I ask the dose youre on.

March 17, 2013 at 1:06 pm
(34) lola says:

I just started taking 100 mg of sertraline 4 days ago. Immediately, I noticed a decrease in appetite. Last night and this morning, I had to force myself to eat something. I’ve been losing weight steadily anyway, from a combination of aerobic exercise, resistance training, and reduced calorie intake, but there has definitely been an increase in my weight loss rate in this very brief time. I’m fine with it. At 5’5″, 142 lbs., I could stand to lose a few more lbs. anyway. On a side note, I’ve also noticed increased anxiety, which reduces the appetite in of itself (for me at least), so I have to imagine that’s contributing to the effect.

March 21, 2013 at 11:09 am
(35) madison says:

Ive been on Zoloft for 6 days now and literally i eat 200-500 cals a day. I have no.urge to eat. Nor am i constantly thinking about food like i always would. (im a teenager lol) . But i have lost only 2 pounds which is a shame because i see people loosing 15 pounds and what not.! I think it is different for different people obviously considering all of the different answers.

March 27, 2013 at 9:38 am
(36) Nichoal Dixon says:

I have been on the generic zoloft for 3 weeks now, and I have recently lost 5 pounds. I hope i drop more. I could stand to loose another 10. I have been taking 1 mg

April 9, 2013 at 10:30 pm
(37) Kelly says:

I’ve been on Zoloft 100mg for six months – taking it for PTSD. Weight loss, I can finally sleep, MUCH calmer, working an absolute treat. As for the person who said weight loss on Zoloft was a sign of “manic depression” (ie bipolar), that is incorrect. We all react differently.

April 22, 2013 at 6:22 pm
(38) losingweight says:

Yes, I have lost 50 lbs since starting Zoloft last August. I attribute to not eating to comfort myself. I had some really bad habits with eating and now cut my meals in half. Making better choices has also helped. I am happy with my weight loss and am 5’9″ at 139 lbs. I don’t wish to lose much more but need to tone up :)

May 1, 2013 at 3:59 pm
(39) Lisa says:

I was started on 50mg Zoloft in December. I have lost about 19 pounds since then. Most days I have very little appetite and I am still experiencing daily episodes of “the runs”. I was about 25 pounds overweight when I went on it, so I’m happy about that. Otherwise it has been great for my situational depression. I am thinking it is due to the zoloft as I have no pain, no real nausea or vomiting or other physical symptoms and feel pretty good. It seems to have tapered off and slowed down some though and there are days I’m ravenous but most days just have no interest in food. It’s a trade off I’m willing to make to avoid the crying jags etc associated with my depression.

May 2, 2013 at 1:20 am
(40) Wazza says:

I have been on zoloft this time around for 11 months. 50mg.
I initially lost 7 kilo’s (about 15lbs) in about 3 weeks, but I put this down to the severeity of my anxiety which caused me not to be interested in food at all and unable to eat any thing substantial. But as I started to feel “normal” again thanks to the Zoloft, I put weight back on again. In fact I am now heavier than I used to be by about 2 Kilo’s (5 pounds) which is a lot for me as my ideal weight is usually only about 71 kilo’s (156 pounds).
I do get lots of dull headaches though, but put up with it because the anxiety was a lot lot worse.

May 10, 2013 at 5:57 pm
(41) Jeannetta says:

I was started on the generic form of Zoloft about a month or two ago at 2ml every day. When I first started it I hated it, I was getting horrible side effects, always feeling sick, constantly nauseous, and yes, I would have diarrhea most days as well. The pain that I was getting in my lower intestine area though is what I was very worried about and that is when I called my doctor. She told me to start to back off of the med. I have now found out that it was actually another problem that I was suffering from that the medication was just masking and once I was completely off of it, the pain continually got worse. When I was first put on the medication, I as well did loose weight, I was really confused by this actually, because I take many other medications that actually cause me to gain weight, but some how, I was dropping weight. I do plan to go back on the medication when I get my current problem under control but yes, I have also lost weight while being on this medication. I am not sure if it is simply just this medication that does this, or if it a combination, but yes, I have lost weight.

May 20, 2013 at 1:08 pm
(42) michelle says:

I’m on Zoloft 50mg and have lost 17pounds in a month. I am a horrible stress eater and now my stress and anxiety are controlled I don’t eat non stop. A blessing to me. Don’t have an appetite like I use to but can eat. Most other side effects gone.

June 7, 2013 at 2:36 pm
(43) Kate says:

I’ve been on Zoloft for about 6 months and have GAINED 30 lbs! I also take Ritalin for ADD which is supposed to suppress appetite, but the Zoloft made me crave sugar and want to eat all the time. The shrink told me that Zoloft doesn’t cause weight gain, my PCP said it does. I’ve found lots of posts about Zoloft and weight gain, my doc is weaning me from 100 mg to 50mg….we’ll see if that does anything, if not I’ll stop taking it.

June 17, 2013 at 1:14 pm
(44) Jon says:

I’m on 50mg/day. I went off of it about 1 month or so ago because all of the weight gain forums I read, but there’s just as many weight loss stories I read too. I gained weight after losing a job and not being very active like I was at work. Also drank too much alcohol just sitting around all day wondering about employment. So I’m reading this forum and I read the sames things.. some gain, some lose…I’m not sure what to do with this drug. I might try welbutrin. I can’t say zoloft made me gain weight, but I don’t know for sure..I need to lose some, but I don’t want my metabolism affected by this drug. What to do.. ? Confused.

June 23, 2013 at 5:18 pm
(45) shell says:

I’ve been on 100mg Zoloft since May, started on 50mg in March I was 189 lbs its now June and I’m down to 165 pounds..I don’t know if its because of the depression or the pills I mean I don’t mind but I sort of want my sex drive back but I also want to get better

June 30, 2013 at 8:16 pm
(46) Stacie says:

I started Sertraline 1.5 mo ago and have lost 8 lbs. I weighed 128 when I started and now down to 120. I was starting to enjoy my woman meat…since I’ve always been small…lol I don’t really like losing weight. I have no appetite and since I’m borderline diabetic it really makes me feel nauseous when my blood sugar gets low. I’ve been splitting my pills into 50 mg and it seems to be helping a little. I did have daily diarrhea with the 100mg which I did not like. Otherwise I feel great! My depression has gotten better( my mom passed away in March, I’m 29 and an only child). I’ve always struggled with anxiety and depression so I’m really glad I found something to that helps!! I think it’s hereditary because my mom also suffered with it. I’ve tried Lexapro( which made me yawn like crazy, slurred my speech, made me twitch, and just plain made me feel like a zombie). I tried Pristique, got 2 weeks of samples from doctor and did great, but then found out my insurance wouldn’t pay for it….of course. Tried Effexer ER and it made me feel like a zombie. So between the Sertraline and occasional zanax, I feel a lot better than I did!

June 30, 2013 at 9:52 pm
(47) Mel says:

I began zoloft in february if this year for severe depression, anxiety and ocd. It has actually saved my life. I feel like i can see color again. Im so mentally wonderful on this medication! The only issue im having is weight loss. Im taking 175mg dailyanf 1mg of clonazapam a night Im 30 and i have a small frame but im 5’6 and since starting zoloft i have lost a considerable amount of weight and im sitting at 103lbs. I have an upset stomach almost every day and diarrhea. I dont want to go off zoloft ever, but im having trouble with my weightloss. I have little appetite anc when i do eat it goes right through me. Can anyone helpwith this?

July 15, 2013 at 3:38 pm
(48) kris says:

Yes I’ve definitely lost weight on Zoloft. Have no appetite so must remind self to eat.
So far I am less anxious and do feel better.

July 31, 2013 at 9:50 pm
(49) Eli says:

I’ ve been on Zoloft for almost one year and it killed my sex drive some what but a great deal of my ability to orgasm

August 6, 2013 at 5:51 pm
(50) Syed says:

I am taking Zoloft since Jan 2013. I am only 135lb and lost weight 15lb within 2/3 months.
Memory loss is very common.
Any solution of weight loss – let me know.

August 11, 2013 at 6:41 am
(51) Kate says:

I’ve been on Zoloft for the past eight months for depression. I take 100mg/day and do think it helps somewhat. Being 5’3″ and thin to begin with, I couldn’t afford to lose any weight and expected to gain a few pounds. However, I went from 102 lbs in February to 90 lbs now. I knew I had lost weight but was horrified when I saw my weight at the doctor’s office. I had no idea Zoloft could cause such weight loss.

I had a first-time gall bladder a few weeks ago and just underwent an endoscopy because of it and a perpetually upset stomach. There was nothing wrong with my stomach, so the Zoloft will have to go.

August 14, 2013 at 4:21 pm
(52) Rayna says:

No weight loss (I only wish!) but yes to the no sex drive@100mg/day. Cut back to 50 on doctor’s advice and it worked. Hooray!!!

August 17, 2013 at 10:02 am
(53) Liz says:

I appreciate this conversation. After over 16 years on Zoloft, I tapered off about 4 months ago. The tapering process was long and arduous, and I was very scared that my depression symptoms would return. The reason I chose to taper was absolutely no sex drive. NONE. ZERO. Didn’t even realize how bad it was until I got totally off it. Ended up losing weight, but not a lot. Also need to mention that I am on Wellbutrin, which doesn’t have the sexual side effects. Being sans Zoloft is a new world and I and my husband are still finding our way, but it seems to be okay. No life is perfect and sometimes my emotions feel raw, like a fresh cut, sensitive. But it is so much better than being numb on Zoloft. One more thing: about a year ago I had all of my hormones tested, including testosterone, estrogen, TSH, T4, T3, Reverse T4, yaddah yaddah, and found that my thyroid was not working right. Fixing the low thyroid really helped. I’d recommend hormone testing for anybody over the age of 40. That’s just my smelly little opinion! Have a great day!

August 19, 2013 at 3:31 pm
(54) Helena says:

Was on 50mg of Zoloft for 1 year and made me feel a whole lot better ‘ stopped it and have been off it for 1and 1/2 years but just been prescribed it again as I have got bad anxiety . I am hoping that I hopefully lose weight , would only like to lose 9 pounds or so ! Last time I did gain a few pounds but I also put more weight on when I wasn’t on it , due to drinking alcohol more i believe , so fingers crossed :)

September 7, 2013 at 9:47 pm
(55) Hanlea says:

I am a little envious of everyone losing weight at different levels. I have been on Zoloft for three months now 100mg, and i havent lost a kg, in fact i have gained 3kg. Which im not impressed with. Intially i thought if i could get rid of the anxiety and depression i could feel better about myself which means more energy to exercise and initiate weight loss… Seems to be faulty there though :) Ill keep on trying, well aware its not just about exercise, but also healthy food lifestyle choices.
My friends asked me about my sex drive on this anti depressent recently and i wasnt sure. My partner and I are always very affectionate not always circling around sex though, he has been wonderful. But i dont notice any lack of drive. However i also have the implanon implant for seven years now, and looking at the side effects from that is also lack of sex drive, and because ive been using it for so long i wouldnt know the difference. If i ever took it out it would be interesting to see what changes i notice.
In the meantime ill keep with my zoloft, someone mentioned above about dreams, mine have actually become crazy, as in random, making no sense or out of the blue weird. So hopefully they calm down too because im not sleeping very well at all.
Its interesting reading other peoples experiences, thanks !

September 8, 2013 at 8:35 am
(56) Ruth S says:

I have experienced weight loss (about 5-7 pounds) since starting Zoloft about 6 weeks ago. I had to cut down on my exercise routine because I want my weight to stabilize. I am thin to begin with and feel that I look sickly when I drop this much weight in such a short amount of time. Still have a good appetite but experience diarrhea every morning. Sex drive down but still enjoy intimacy with my husband of 25 years. Have noticed a bit of the forgetfulness too. Also headache and some random body aches. Grateful that I am not breaking down in fits of tears and anxiety the way I was prior to taking Zoloft. Be well everyone!

October 16, 2013 at 2:56 pm
(57) Annie says:

I have been on zoloft for about 8 weeks now. I am 5’6 and had weighed about 144-146 when I began taking zoloft. I have had terrible stomach problems, (thought I had an ulcer) and dropped down to 126 lbs. I didn’t connect the zoloft to the constant upset stomach – I thought it was stress. Went to see my doctor who sent me for an endoscopy and Colonoscopy. A biopsy of the opening of the small bowel showed I have Celiac Disease. I have never had symptoms before of Celiac – not the GI ones.
My doctors are concerned about my 20 lb. weight loss in 8 weeks, and loss of appetite. Next week I have to have an MRI. At least I found out i need to be Gluten free – but I think my symptoms may very well be related to the zoloft (100 mg.)

November 15, 2013 at 9:45 pm
(58) Paul says:

I’ve been on Zoloft for over a year and the pounds are packing on me. It’s to the point I’ve been checking illegal drugs online to help me lose weight. Although my depression is held almost completely at bay on 200mg Zoloft I feel very badly about my weight now. I feel like shit.

November 24, 2013 at 9:05 am
(59) Michelle says:

I have been on small dose of Zoloft for about 4 months and feel like I am dropping a lot of weight. My weight has always flucuated a lot, from 105-115, however now I am never over 105. I am 5’1, so my weight is not super low, however I do not like how my body looks – I see many of my bones protruding and I feel like I have went down a cup size.

Also, I feel like a am always hungry. I am eating twice as much during the day as normal or else I feel very tired and starving.

I did have stomach problems when i first began taking it, but that went away after a few days. I experienced it again when I upped my dosage, but again it went away.

I do experience memory lapses, however I did before I went on Zoloft, so I do not think the medication caused that.

November 26, 2013 at 9:02 pm
(60) Nancy says:

So I have been taking zoloft for 3 months. I have experienced weight loss but I beleave its related to me being a nervious eater. When I was bored or upset I was constantly hungry. I have not experienced any trouble with memory.

December 15, 2013 at 4:02 pm
(61) Cari Brady says:

I had a baby six mon ths ago. I’m breast feeding.. still I’ve gained 15 pounds in five months ..n lack n sex

December 29, 2013 at 8:06 pm
(62) Donna says:

I have been on Zolloft for about 2 years & within the last 6 months my Doc increased the dosage & I have lost 12Lbs. This is okay for me since I too am 5’2″ tall & was just about 10lbs. over weight for my height. The real issue I have is “no sexual drive/desire”. I’m going to my GYN next week because there has to be something to counteract this issue, especially since I lost the weight & look/feel so sexy to my husband.

January 8, 2014 at 9:33 am
(63) wendy says:

I have been on zoloft off & on for approx 9 or 10 years. My weight seems to bounce like a yo yo! one day i’m 125 lbs and the next day i’m 118 lbs. NO SEX DRIVE!!!, which is terrible considering i’m with someone 6 years younger than me. I just keep hoping it will get better, because the alternative is even worse. Emotions run rampant! And such a deep hollow feeling that it’s painful. I started at 50mil. then was upped to 100mil, then was upped to 200mil. I have recently weaned myself back down to 100mil which seems to make me more stable, but hardly any sex drive. DAMIT!!! Keep trying though, maybe thats why my weight is going like a yo yo huh???

January 15, 2014 at 9:15 pm
(64) redbone says:

yes I have lost weight since I’ve been on Zoloft and I wasn’t trying to.i told my doctor that I was losing weight and some lost of appetite and he put me on periactin to increase my appetite but I was on and off that for years and it make you lethargic. I told my doctor that the Zoloft already have me a lil tired and I definitely didn’t need that to do what the Zoloft is taking away! I was started out on 50 and that was doing nothing for me I was still highly stressed and on the edge so I up the dose to 100 but had to go back to 50 because it’s like it’s making me lazy! I was a gym rat now I can’t tell you the last time I worked out and I do too have some memory loss. so to answer your question yes Zoloft did make me loss the little weight I was trying to hold on to.

January 15, 2014 at 9:18 pm
(65) redbone says:

And no I don’t have much of a sex drive, thinking about trying something else :(

January 16, 2014 at 7:33 am
(66) Justin says:

I’ve been on zoloft since June 2013. I can say that the anxiety has decreased dramatically and I feel the joy in that life that I was missing. I’ve always been thin (5’8″ @ 135 lbs), but over the last 6 months lost 15 lbs. I can’t afford to lose any more weight, but at the same time, refuse to go back to the way I use to be. The side effects include: loss of appitite, diarrhea, headache, slightly lower labido, and weight loss.

January 19, 2014 at 8:05 pm
(67) Jim Postick says:

When I started taking sertraline in March 2013, I weighed about 150 pounds. By June 2013, after moving to 200mg, I went down to 128 pounds. I’ve put back on some of the lost weight (about 143 right now), which I have no complaints for.

February 17, 2014 at 8:36 am
(68) Fiona says:

I have been on sertraline for about 6 months now, ( We call Zolloft, sertraline in UK) I had awful nausea and diorhea for 4 weeks and nearly gave up. My doctor was supportive and I’m glad I kept with it. I had anti sickness tablets for a few days, and gradually that all passed. I’m so pleased I went with his advise. I’m perkier, have more mental energy, appetite is small, but I had over 20 kilos to loose, so this side effect is welcome, I’m more like my old self and it’s been a long time! I’m calmer and more patient with things, and generally happier than I’ve been in years. Still loosing weight, steadily, which ofcourse makes me happy. I would say these tablets suit me fine, several others never did.If I had given up in those first weeks I wouldn’t be feeling as good as I do today. I don’t think medication is the answer to depression, I don’t think there is an answer to depression, there are so many causes and theories on the subject, but this medication is working VERY well for me

February 26, 2014 at 10:27 pm
(69) vicky says:

Im not hungry either, I eat because I know I need to but it has helped me to relax, My mind is relaxed so know im not overeating.

March 3, 2014 at 7:47 pm
(70) Samantha says:

I started Zoloft about 6 weeks ago for depression and ritalin for ADD. I have a few pounds I need to lose and for the last 3 weeks have been doing a health regime. I have done this same regime before and lost a lot of weight. But just weighed myself today and haven’t lost a thing.
I didn’t think this would be the case with Ritalin but would the Zoloft be stopping me from losing weight…….

Sam