1. Health

Nancy Schimelpfening

Jaw Clenching With Zoloft

By May 5, 2014

ChrisJones1 writes:  "I stumbled onto this website and wow.  At least i know now why I'm having these symptoms.  The one thing I didn't see, however, was jaw clenching.  I'm on 50mg of Zoloft per day and I seem to be having trouble with my jaw, either clenching or just having to move it because it's sore.  Is there anyone else having this issue?"

Do you have any experiences to share with ChrisJones1?  What side effects did you experience with Zoloft?  Have you experienced jaw clenching as a side effect with other antidepressants?  What helped you cope with this side effect?

Related Article:

Comments
July 27, 2012 at 2:50 pm
(1) PKD88 says:

I have had jaw clenching as a side effect of several different medications. It may have actually cost damage to a tooth that later had to be pulled.

August 1, 2012 at 8:40 am
(2) life-in-quicksand says:

Thanks for writing on this issue. I’ve had lock jaw with some psych med but don’t remember which one. Wasn’t sure if it was med related, but now I’m pretty certain. I’ve clenched my teeth in sleep even before being on medications but not lock jaw. (It’s painful and scarey.)

August 1, 2012 at 11:46 am
(3) pauline says:

I thought I had sensitive teeth, but it was only when I was diagnosed with TMJ (when my jaw locked) that a link was made to grinding. I had to get a mouth guard to use at night and it has helped so much. I know it was one of my tablets causing it, but I don’t know which one. I’m on a mix of antidepressants and antipsychotics. Mouth guards are the way to go!

August 5, 2012 at 10:57 pm
(4) Janderson says:

I have been on Zoloft for years and I am constantly telling myself to “relax” my jaw. I take 150 mg a day and will live with the tightening of the jaw over the effects of the depression I suffer without it. I have tried different antidepressants (Wellbutrin was the worst for the jaw problem for me, I didn’t last a week on it), but Zoloft is my best friend. The other thoughts about a tooth problem could be legitimate, however, I have no natural teeth and still have the issue. Chewing gum, the non-stick variety, helps me with the jaw problem and it also helps with the dry mouth associated with antidepressants. Talk to your doctor about the possibility of another medication, but please continue with your treatment.

August 9, 2012 at 4:52 pm
(5) Valerie says:

The worst thing about Zolft is the sexual side-effects. I have been on it and off of it several times beacause of the strain it has had on my marraige. Although, being depresssed doesn’t exactly up sex drive ether so I guess I am kind of doomed either way. Side effects with these meds are to be expected and mostly unplesent. Hopefully, my head will just re-dajust without meds for a while so I can finally feel happy.

October 24, 2012 at 12:26 am
(6) isolotus says:

I started on 100mg of Zoloft and had no jaw clenching for the first two months. I thought I had a cavity or jaw infection but knew something else was going on because my jaw can’t relax, my teeth are chattering and have a strange acidy feel to them. I’m wondering if this will go away and sense that it probably won’t as long as I’m on Zoloft. Trouble is, Zoloft works great for me so I’m willing to get a teeth guard this week to see of that will help the soreness I feel every day.

November 22, 2012 at 6:15 pm
(7) heather says:

I am so happy to know that i am not alone. I am taking150mg of sertraline and i constantly catch myself clenching my jaw, I realize once it starts hurting and keep reminding myself to relax. My mouth has been hurting constantly. I am only three weeks in so i haven’t really noticed any difference in my mental health yet but im happy to hear the positive comments. I wish you all the best!

January 16, 2013 at 9:12 pm
(8) Amber says:

You’re not alone!!! I clench too. I’ve been on Zoloft for 5 years. Mouth guards!

January 19, 2013 at 4:40 pm
(9) Mark says:

I’ve been on Zoloft for 5 weeks. Started at 50mg, and just upped it to 75 mg. Just prior to changing the dose, at about the start of week 5, I started experience jaw pain and couldn’t stop clenching my jaw. It’s the only real side effect I’ve had, but it’s terrible. It’s ever constant and painful. On top of that the Zoloft has done nothing for my generalized anxiety/social anxiety. In fact, I think my anxiety is worse and more generalized than before. So far, not so good…. And, I’m really discouraged to hear that people have been on Zoloft for years and the jaw clenching has not subsided.

March 5, 2014 at 3:11 pm
(10) Deviantfix says:

I’ve only been on Zoloft for a little over a week and have already noticed myself clenching my jaw… I’m glad that it’s not some weird side affect that only affects me but not excited that it might be around as long as I am taking it…

Hopefully it’s worth the clenching if it works…

May 14, 2014 at 10:32 am
(11) NT says:

I’ve lived with severe tooth grinding since I was a child. I’ve worn the mouth guards, spit them out in my sleep and since I discovered our dog loves the taste of my spit, I’m DONE with those.

I’m taking 60mg of Zoloft daily and I just realized AFTER reading this article that my jaw has been relaxed, less earaches, face pain, etc.

Could Zoloft do the opposite? Seems unlikely, however, my stress is at the highest ever, so what gives?