1. Health

Nancy Schimelpfening

Summer SAD

By May 21, 2014

While we usually think of SAD as occurring during the winter months, this forum member has a different perspective:

Does anyone here have spring/summer SAD? I was dx'd with this about 3-4 years ago and it really sucks. I know it's kinda rare and people usually have it in the winter, but I get it in the summer. It's not fair that most people get to go out and enjoy the sunshine and nice weather and do all kinds of outdoor activities, while I feel more depressed on nice sunny days. What's worse is that we don't have a very long season here in WI of nice, warm days that are enjoyable. I do go out with people on nice days and do things if they ask, but it's mostly fake acting happy and having fun. I do try to force myself to go out and walk for exercise instead of sitting home and getting more and more depressed. The anti-depressants I'm on don't help and my psych knows I have this disorder, so he doesn't really try to help. There's not much more he can do. I tend to like the rainy days, where I can just sit and watch the rain, or stormy days where I just listen to the thunder and watch for lightning. Those are the days I feel better and will sometimes even go out for walks in the rain. Life just isn't fair. --Janey38

Can you relate to Janey38's dilemma?  Share your experiences in the comments.

Comments
July 4, 2012 at 3:51 am
(1) richard says:

I don’t share Janey38′s dilemma. But if I thought my pysch wasn’t helping. I would go find a new one that did.

July 4, 2012 at 4:38 am
(2) erin says:

I know your problem, i have summer SAD I close the blinds, i get so very depressed, but when the rain comes i feel much better, i love autum, the sun has the soft dreamy look, not so hard blaring and bright,
i love the feel of a cool breeze , the cooling down in autumn the leaves, then the winter oh blessed winter i am so much better, medication doesnt help for summer, so i make my own environment in my large bedroom, it is all fall and winter themed i have a great fan i keep on low
i can be ok there. try finding a space to imitate the autum and winter environs, it works , it is the only way i get through the summer, if only alaska didnt have teh midnight sun in the sumer i would move to anchorage or fairbanks it is grey like the northwest where i live try apple and cinnimon candles or one called forrest, or use aromatherapy and find fir needle oil, cinnimon, and apple oils get a cheap atomiser believe me it helps, good luck my friend, Erin

July 4, 2012 at 7:37 am
(3) K.P. says:

I find that when my seasonal efffective depression takes place , I make sure that I have alot of natural sulight in my house & I also make sure that I take a b complex vitamin along with my multivitamin and also every two weeks I take a calcuim magnesium supplement and that helps me with my depression and I also make sure that I eat healthy foods with magnesium and that helps too and I also lead a balanced healthy lifestyle and I exercise 4 days a week and I also find that journaling in a diary notebook helps too.

July 4, 2012 at 8:26 am
(4) phyllis says:

yes,thats me also…its better in the summer….but,it just seems to

follow me..no matter what the season….winter is definately worse…but,its still there during the summertime,springtime AND fall…

July 4, 2012 at 10:27 am
(5) John Sandif ar says:

I can understand this. With my MS while everyone is having fun outdoors having picnics cook outs or just walking about. I have to stay indoors because of what I call the vampire affect. If I’m out in the sun it takes away all my strength til I’m just waiting to burst into flames. but I’ve always been told that’s the way it is deal with it and so I go on.

July 4, 2012 at 11:46 am
(6) Jl says:

I too have summer SAD and people think in crazy because who wouldn’t love the sun and heat! I do love sunshine and I open my curtains and blinds but I do everything I can to avoid spending time out in it. It drains me physically and emotionally. I tell people that I hibernate in summer. This year had been extremely hard since we’ve had temps near 100 for weeks. I want a good thunder storm and fall!! To cope I try to run errands in the morning or evening and I take antidepressants.

July 4, 2012 at 1:39 pm
(7) judy gardner says:

i have not been diagnosed with this, but it sounds all too familiar. i hate the summer – the hot weather wipes me out, literally. i get more depressed the hotter it is (hving to stay in alone with others out having fun),i love rain and storms!!! they make me feel better! and fall is my fav. time of year, followed by winter. i love that i can make myself feel better with a cup of coffe and warm sweaters. in summer i always feel miserable but it is more than that and more than the heat. as lonely as i feel, i dread seeling people.

my diagnosis is manic depression with generalized anxiety disorder.

i am truly sorry you are having this experience. the only thing that helps me that maybe will help you is taking my dog for a walk in late evening when the sun is going, or has gone, down. it is dark then.

July 4, 2012 at 1:58 pm
(8) Barb says:

I don’t like ‘nice’ sunny hot weather very much. Other’s are excited and talk of all the great activities they will do including just basking in the sun. I avoid it and choose to sleep most afternoons when the sun is at it’s ‘best’.

The worst part is feeling very guilty about being a downer. Who says “aww no! Anothere hot sunny day?” I don’t respond when people talk about the great weather. Not enjoying what everyone else enjoys is sad and I feel like I am missing out. I do relax when it is cooler and raining because I feel less pressure.

July 4, 2012 at 6:24 pm
(9) sammyed says:

I can relate to this. I used to think it was something I just imagined. Now I just go along and try to deal with it without considering the season. I noticed it the summer I graduated high school, 35 YEARS AGO! In fact, that was when I was first diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder. And the three hospitalizations I’ve had? Two were in spring, one in summer. I do suffer from Major Depression all year long though. It continues to haunt me but not like it used to. I stay on my medication, unlike when I used to go off it and think it wouldn’t come back (it comes back quicker and worse over the years, than it used to!) Also the medications now are so much better than in the 70′s when I was first diagnosed. I know I will build some kind of tolerance, as I have over the years on various other meds…but then I just need to tell my doctor, and maybe get involved in therapy again one day. I’ve had plenty of it, and need to also get more physically active again. Intellectualizing it, just like saying “oh how can I be sad when it’s sunny and warm!” is not helpful. Gotta just deal with it. I live in NE Ohio so I know winter and clouds are worse, but I still get depressed in spring and summer.

July 4, 2012 at 10:48 pm
(10) Marguerite says:

I also have summer sadness and thought is was strange as most people have it worse in the winter but it’s the pressure of being up like most people are that makes it hard to deal with. Also there are most social things to do which is very hard. In the winter you can use the excuse of it being too cold and you just want to hunker down but in the summer people seem to want to get together more. Most of the time when I force myself to go places I have a good time but the anxiety before hand is not worth it.

July 5, 2012 at 1:40 am
(11) Linda says:

I always get it in July. I first noticed in years ago when I would read my journal of past years that in July I always became depressed and in the fall it lifted. Yes the anti-depressants did not help. I too love the rain and thunder and lightening. I feel so relieved when the sun fades. I have never had another person mention this so it is a relief to know after all these years I am not the only person. Thank you for sharing your story.
Linda

July 5, 2012 at 10:04 am
(12) Robyn says:

I have summer issues too. I feel like I swell all over, have problems remembering and am very sluggish. I spend as much time in the air conditioning or in front of a fan as possible. I’m already on depression meds, but it doesn’t take care of the heat issue. I love the cold. I thought I was the only one!

July 5, 2012 at 11:11 am
(13) ChuChu says:

OH WOW !!!!! I lived in South Africa for many years and could not
understand what was happening to me…..I became depressed
and until now could not explain why. Looked it up in my diary and what do you know…comes summer!!!!! my entries would reflect my recurring apathy, being restless, headaches, nausea, loss of appetite and just wanting to be alone (all in the heavy summer times) Now you can imagine…..in South Africa you practically get 350 days of sunshine!!!!!!! We have returned to Germany and what do you know….I’m much better.
I have noticed that even in summer ( in Germany) the same thing happens….so, got myself a aircon in the house…started reading, sewing, free- hand silk embroidery and painting (all hobbies I practically stopped in South Africa because I just could not be bothered) and patiently wait for winter! It works for me…maybe it will work for you???????

July 5, 2012 at 5:20 pm
(14) Shirley Wolowicz says:

Hi Janey,

You are SO lucky that you don’t live in Arizona. I didn’t even know that the opposite of winter SAD even existed until now. AZ has barely any rain. The disgusting summer temps here are so depressing to me. My mom is aged and loves it here. I want her to share my Rhode Island home with me, but she will only go for 3 months because her other daughter is an invalid. Someday tho’, when she can no longer take care of herself (she’s 90) she’ll have no choice and I’ll be home again in R. I. I HATE Arizona and everything about it. No one thing about the mentality here fits me. Right now I’m on the kidney transplant list in AZ, so I can go home for the summers as I always do. You can only imagine how depressed and homesick I am this year.

What I would suggest, if I were you, is to simulate the seasons that you love, during the summer months. I would get tapes of environmental sounds, especially rain and thunderstorms. There are dvds that also feature these. You can even get a clock, alarm clock, that plays nature sounds. It plays for an hour, while you’re falling asleep. They have them on ebay. I bought mine there. Project yourself into a book, when you’re doing these things, too. Anything to get your mind off the weather. I especially love listening to the rain on the dvd and I make it possible not to see outdoors.

I go out at night to walk my little yorkie. Even tho’ it’s still over 100 degrees at 9:30 at least it’s dark. One last thing, I used to have an aquarium before I began living part-time in 2 states. if you leave the level of the water a little down (depending on whether you have fish or not, as they need the water height for their gill breathing) and get one of those waterfall filters, it almost sounds like rain when the water from the fall hits. Hope these suggestions help. They help me. Good luck.

July 8, 2012 at 10:46 am
(15) Teresa says:

I do relate. I am much happier in the fall and winter.
I thought that it was just me. I hate the unrelenting sunshine and oppressive heat. I can feel my mood improve as the sun goes down and the heat lifts.
Rainy days make me feel much better.
It’s tough when people can’t understand why you aren’t thrilled that it’s another 85F sunny day.
I can’t wait for October when the temperature drops and the sun isn’t a constant, annoying reminder of how I’m feeling.

July 9, 2012 at 3:35 am
(16) Tammy says:

I do agree and believe that depression can be just as bad in the summer as in the winter….I’ve been watching my 17 year old son spiral deeper and deeper for the past two weeks. We live in Texas and it already been in the triple digits. He spends the majority of his day and night asleep or so depressed he doesn’t even want his friends to come by and visit. I’m very worried about him, as always, I’m still up right now at 2:24 am because he just hasn’t right lately. He physically is showing some signs I’ve seen before in him….which has followed in a seizure during the night. I constantly walk to his bedroom door to check on him….to make sure he’s breathing. What a terrible way to live? But I know you all are aware of what I’m saying. I just keep remembering the morning I found him non-responsive in his bed…my nightmare had finally come true! The day I had hoped and prayed would never come….but it did. The paramedics had to work on him in his bedroom to save his life before whisking him off to the hospital ER and then to Houston. He laid in ICU for 4 days…another nightmare…kidney failure, liver enzymes through the roof…and other problems. He pulled through and has been a tough trooper ever since (well, now that I think about it, this happened last JUNE…summer time) hum. So, I do believe that this horrible hand dealt to you and my son and everyone else involved, that its not in your head…it is very true for some. Good luck to everyone of you and God bless.

July 16, 2012 at 7:45 pm
(17) Donna says:

It’s so nice to know I’m not alone. Here in South Texas, 90%+ humidity and 100+ degree heat almost drives me mad every summer. No way to get away from it either (though I have threatened to run away to Alaska every summer), so I watch movies with a winter theme, or “shop” for real estate in cooler areas on Trulia.com, or read Christmas books. I keep as busy as possible, and only go outside really early in the morning (but that doesn’t always help since the humidity is so high in the mornings here) or late in the evening. And, of course, wait for autumn!

July 22, 2012 at 10:32 am
(18) linda uk says:

i live in great britain,for as long as i can remember i have been on many anti-depressants ,seen councellers,more tablets.the doctors i see dont beleive in summer sad ,i do suffer with underactive thyroid depression and anxiety all year long,while every one else is out enjoying themselves i hibernate,i cant bear the sun ,but the doctors tell me its good for you ,if its good for you why do i get worse in the summer. i would just like to have a normal life,,what ever that is.,i wait for the winter months just for the rain but then im told there something not right with me,well i no that ,im driving my family mad they never no what to expect from one day to the next

August 2, 2012 at 12:20 am
(19) Niecey says:

I sure can relate to most of this, though the heat and humidity are the most oppressing things to me. My sister and I have talked about this a lot and that has helped me feel less alone. But I am already on quite a few antidepressants (sp?) I feel like I should not take any more. I have not talked to my Dr. about this since I have always felt that this was something that only affected me. I will probably talk to her about this the next time I see her, but I wish there was something I could do without more meds!

August 10, 2012 at 7:02 am
(20) Angharad Payne says:

I fully sympathise. I am a stocky Welsh person who is just not built to wihstand the heat. I thrive on cold days, but in summer I have got to the point where I am listless, tired and angry all the time. It ruins my life as I have to be very careful due to the fact I have had heat exhaustion before. Yet people do not understand – well they too would be depressed if they felt sick every day for months on end and it only has to get up to 20 degrees for me to feel the effects as I am someone who rarely feels the cold. I try to be considerate to winter SAD sufferers but am getting fed up this is not reciprocated. Too many comments about “lovely weather” have pushed me over the edge sometimes, as I battle with sleep issues and feel anxious I will overheat. Believe me, summer SAD exists!

September 30, 2012 at 10:11 am
(21) Tina says:

I live in South Carolina, but am originally from the Northeast (NJ). I’ve become one of those reverse-SAD people. I’ve always LOVED fall, and tolerate even the most extreme winters better than most people. The oppressive, unrelenting heat and humidity in the South leaves me feeling exhausted and lethargic. I’m healthy and physically fit, and love to be active. While I’m reading these posts, it’s occurring to me that those of us who have a tough time with the day-after-day heat and extreme sun conditions – are probably being too hard on ourselves. Look at how ALL animals react to the heat….ever been to a zoo on a hot summer day? All the animals are out of sight, sacked out somewhere away from the sun. They, too, are sleepy, inactive and lethargic. To me, that means it’s nature’s way of telling them to slow down, get out of the sun, conserve your energy, etc. I actually think it’s a very natural biological response that we’re all having to the heat and sun.

October 5, 2012 at 11:27 am
(22) Jill says:

I also have depression really bad during sunny weather. It seems like everyone else is having fun, but I’m just miserable! Meds aren’t helping, neither is psychotherapy.Unfortunately, not really looking forward to fall/winter either, because I’m not looking forward to anything or anytime! … Just too depressed overall. I really need help!

January 24, 2013 at 1:08 pm
(23) Seattle says:

I’m glad someone else feels the same way. I hate the heat and sunshine. It’s hard to see with a giant ball of lava burning you in the face lol. I’d do all my chores at night, and just avoided sun as much as I can. So much, that I moved my whole life to Seattle, specifically for the chance of gray and darker days. There’s still summer but at least it’s brief, and I’m only saddened for a couple months, then it’s back to months on end without ever seeing brighter skies. It’s funny how it’s perfectly normal to have “SAD” but when I described a summer SAD most doctors tell me it’s not normal. In fact one doc even told me I was secretly depressed with my own life,I didn’t hate the sun, I hated that people had fun in the sun and I must be alone with no one to enjoy the sun with, causing me to resent it. Give me a break Einstein, I told him to shove it and that I do infact get sad from too much Sun. If Iits not normal, then it should not be “normal” to be sad from too little Sun! Tell that to millions of people and let me know how that goes….

January 31, 2013 at 8:33 am
(24) FrothyCoffee says:

I dread the coming of summer, and what makes it worse for me is when we get freak spring weather, and everyone else has started up the summer activities early. Most people just don’t get it – I don’t like what they call ‘nice’ weather, but I wish they’d just deal with it. They don’t like winter, but I don’t rub their noses in it they way they do with me.

The thing I find hardest to deal with is that I think there are more people who don’t really like hot and sunny weather than we think, but they won’t admit it. There’s a common collective feeling of “it’s sunny and warm, therefore you should be happy and like it”. Well I don’t.

Living in the U K people often wonder why I don’t “make the most” of whatever warm and sunny weather we get. The truth is, I don’t like bright and penetrating glare – it gives me headache, and it makes me feel sick. I hate the way everything looks in my house when it’s sunny, and I really hate battling with blinds to keep sun glare off my food, and to stop it from fading my furniture etc.

All in all, I am one miserable so-and-so between April and October – I really wish I could emigrate during those months. I don’t sleep during summer because there’s not enough down-time of sunlight in the evenings, and birds are singing their heads off at 3.30 am in daylight!! Throw in the trouble with bugs, wasps, and listening to high levels of noise from kids, bbqs that stink etc, and it’s enough to tip me over the edge.

ROLL ON NOVEMBER!!!!

June 3, 2013 at 2:18 pm
(25) nanette says:

I just noticed the connection today. It has been sunny here for three days, and I felt miserable, brain fog, fatigue, etc. Today it is raining and I feel great! The sun just seems like harmful radiation to me. My favorite kind of day is warm and overcast, it’s comforting like a warm fuzzy blanket.

June 3, 2013 at 2:36 pm
(26) Lesta says:

Hi, my summer SAD comes from a different sort of place. I’m a Southerner living 37 years in the Upper Midwest, and the shortness of the hot season and lack of warm weather when the days are longest wrench my soul apart. I feel robbed and cheated of 80 degree- plus days and could never consider a vacation in Canada again. I blame that place for the cold jet streams that destroy the heat here. Heat and humidity are fine for me, and heat tolerance is in my genes since all my ancestors lived in the South of the US for hundreds of years. Can’t move from here, too much invested in friends and lifestyle, but can’t deal with the weather either. Anxiety about weather eats at me, consequently.

June 3, 2013 at 7:53 pm
(27) suzie says:

why all the drug references?

June 5, 2013 at 9:19 am
(28) Sunny says:

I have that problem, or should say I had that problem. I use my SAD light year round when I feel myself sliping into depression. That and exercise and SAMe have kept me level and fine for over 2 years after a liftime of depression and trying everything I could to stop it with nothing working. I wasn’t diagnosed, just figure my lack of melatonin must some how effect my brain chemistry in a negative way. The important thing here is that I found something that works and hopefully it might help others.

June 5, 2013 at 9:24 am
(29) Ellen says:

I have summer SAD as well. I do not like the heat nor do I like the sun. I love the cooler and cold months and feel much happier during that time.

June 5, 2013 at 9:29 am
(30) luciano says:

I don’t know if it may be called summer sad… when I started suffering of anxiety disorders, at about the age of 24, I soon discovered that anxiety and panic where much worse in hot weather and high illumination situations. Winter and evenings tended to be the better settings for me.
Against my will, I passed several Augusts in a very hot mediterranean island, and I can recall each morning going to the beach and trying to fight the inner convinction that I may have passed out at each step.
I also had several years with less problems, and than I felt than I no longer feared “to get steamed up”
Later I discovered that my anxiety problems were just the most evident face of a deep depression mechanism, so I feel proper to post here.

June 5, 2013 at 12:08 pm
(31) Linda says:

I kept a journal from a very young age and realized upon reading back on it when I was in my 30′s that in mid July I was always becoming very depressed. I do not like the glaring brightness of the sun and prefer rainy days and the Autumn. It was at that point I realized I was suffering from a Summer Sadness. I always find July and August difficult and by late September it starts to lift. I do not do anything different each year is the same. I am now in my 50′s….I recognized this in myself before anyone ever mentioned Summer Sad. Interesting how we can advocate for ourselves and be our own best doctors. Stay well everyone.

June 5, 2013 at 12:26 pm
(32) rayshir says:

You could get a job or find some hobby , that might be an option this way you do not have time to dwell on it . Also consider relocating to florida .

June 5, 2013 at 1:28 pm
(33) Jen says:

My depression also worsens with the sun and especially hot weather. I feel so much better in winter and really when it’s raining. Sounds odd but it’s how I feel.

June 5, 2013 at 11:03 pm
(34) JJS says:

Yes, there is summer SAD. I think there are several different causes. Some of the people who prefer rainy weather could be responding to the increase in negative ions.

June 6, 2013 at 8:03 am
(35) linda says:

I have suffered many years of depression ,but when it comes to the summer I hate it.i practally live in my bedroom and only come out of a night when the sun has gone down.i went to see my g.p and asked if I could be suffering from summer sad,he just laughed and said there is no such thing you only get it in winter. I no here in England we don’t have much of a summer but when the weather forcast says sun for the next few days my depression gets worse I want to go out and do the things other people do but I cant and no one understands

June 6, 2013 at 8:59 am
(36) Anna Belfry says:

Janie dear, life is NOT fair. That is simple, basic fact. People used to teach it to their children, in order to make their expectations more realistic, but that kind of thinking has gone out of fashion. It is a pity. It was God’s gift to depressives. I speak as one of them.

That being said, I find it interesting that being predictably ill and out-of-sorts in the summer is not something particular to myself, or even to just a few other people. I do very badly, body and brain, once the temperature is much above 75 F; if it is humid as well, it is worse. I spend hot humid summers lying in front of a fan, with ice-packs on the back of my neck and as little in my mind as I can arrange. Most of my summer thinking is distorted. I am fortunate that any of my friendships have survived it.
I feel badly about all this because my dearest people love hot sunny weather with all their hearts. I hate putting the breaks to that by having to say, “No, I’m sorry, I cannot do ——— . It is too hot, I will be ill; you will have to carry me home.”
It was better when I had a flower garden. I cared for it in the evenings and after dark, and watched my neighbours through the windows in the afternoons, while they enjoyed it in the sun. It gave the hot season a use, to make some beauty in it. I do not know whether this appeals to you, Janie, but you might give it a go. There is nothing like making things grow… Take care, all. We survive.

June 6, 2013 at 9:18 am
(37) Spottedcat says:

It’s incredible to me that so many people have SAD in summer because it’s warm and sunny. I would love 80plus days from May to September, and need that recharge from the brutal Wisconsin winters that are unnaturally long. Where can I get help on enduring cold, wet summer days?

June 8, 2013 at 6:08 am
(38) Sarah says:

Mine appears to be a bit different, I tend to thrive in the sun and heat and prefer to be warm. I hate dark cold nights which make me withdraw and hibernate until summer returns. Which in the Uk can be rare.

However when the clocks go forward or when the sunny weather finally appears I have noticed that my mood changes, I become agitated, short tempered, then emotional and a black mood arrives seemingly from nowhere and i become increasingly agitated/anxious. Even getting panic attacks.

I put my money on the increased light – like its a shock to the system or something. If a manage my anxiety/mood it does clear up and i go on to enjoy the rest of the summer.

June 10, 2013 at 12:44 pm
(39) TSC says:

Yes I have had this since I was a teenager. No one knew what it was for the longest time and I just learned to live it. I am mostly depressed or ‘feel down’ or have that ‘heavy feeling’ from early afternoon thru evening. But I still have some symptoms during the winter as well. If it has been a cloudy day and the sun comes out right before sunset I feel a horrible sinking feeling. I love the winter, the cold and cloudy days. I do enjoy sunshine much of the time, mostly in the mornings, it’s the afternoons that seem to really get to me.

June 23, 2013 at 3:09 pm
(40) debbie says:

I had heard of SAD before but I never knew it could relate to depression in the summer months. I’ve had this for many years but it has gotten worse since I’ve gotten older. I came up with my own name for it which is Vampire’s Disease. I am on anti-depressants & anti-anxiety meds but it doesn’t really help. When June comes I pray for rainy days & count down the days until October.

July 7, 2013 at 5:18 pm
(41) Alysha says:

I can relate to this. When I was younger and happy i used to enjoy the weather but now im finding having nice weather just makes me feel depressed. I just have no motivation for anything. I have no money. No friends,no family so it’s hard. When I’m depressed I don’t want to speak to anyone, dont want to do anything and i don’t want to go out on my own either because I find it so depressing. Ive been depressed before but that had nothing to do with SAD. My depression started because I was unhappy with my life and have so many problems. I think I have both.

July 13, 2013 at 10:38 am
(42) Erin says:

I have summer SAD that starts in late Spring (April) and hits its peak at mid July, then starts to abate nearing the first of September, then much better when I begin to see the leaves change and cooler temperatures.
What helps is to decorate the house with all fall pictures and floral arrangements. Some pictures are even Holiday scenes with snow! The house looks like fall with red, golds, and yellows. I had purchased faux fica trees that look like they are turning colors.
Yankee Candle and other stores have candles out already for fall, halloween, and Christmas. Since I work for them, getting a job for the company really helps with my Summer SAD. There is nothing more exciting than stocking pumpkin crackle plates and November Rain candles in early June!

July 15, 2013 at 12:33 pm
(43) seelya says:

Yup, just realized that my summertime depression is still with me…for some reason, I forget about it until it hits me and knocks me down! To compound the problem this summer, I had a full ankle replacement at the end of May so I am also dealing with that. In September 2011 I went to Ireland and it was cool and rainy for most of the time I was there – I was sooo happy. It is nice to know that there are others like me, when I share this some people look at my like I am a bit of a freak.

August 4, 2013 at 3:05 pm
(44) Nik says:

I’ve only recently discovered that this was an actual thing. I have always been miserable in the summer, only to be re-energized when fall arrived. I think a big factor for me, because I suffer from sensory processing disorder, is the light intensity. During the summer months, the sunlight is downright oppressive.

August 27, 2013 at 2:34 pm
(45) Erik says:

Summer SAD comes and goes depending on the weather forecast as well. As late August is here, a heat wave with triple digit temperatures accompanied with oppressive humidity has made my depression quite bad.
I just hope this is summer’s last punch before fall begins as the nights are longer and the trees are beginning to show in clusters of red, gold, and yellow. It’s very difficult to ignore the oppressive heat and sun. But I exercise during the same time during the day, try to maintain a regimented schedule, and pray that this too, shall pass.
It really does help to decorate the home with fall decorations and pictures of autumn and even snowy scenes. Keeping the house very cool and installing a portable A/C unit in addition to central air really helps to keep that room very cold. Watching a holiday movie with snow really helps and burning a candle with a pine scent seems to help.
Summer Depression is real!

September 2, 2013 at 1:01 am
(46) Kitty R says:

Yes I have always not liked the summer because of the hot days. When the sun starts to set after about 7 pm or so, I start feeling better and my mood gets better too. I didn’t used to think there were so many with the same problem, until my children grew up. and some of them are the same way. Fall is the best time of the year, with shorter days and
calmer temps.

September 4, 2013 at 11:52 am
(47) rose says:

‘Frothy coffee’ your comment really struck a chord with me, I also live in the UK and suffer from such bad depression in the summer weather, I work from home and my go.e office gets so hot with my computer on that I have a blanket of despair hanging over me in summer. But like you, people are rude about this, even though I just keep myself to myself and deal with it quietly in my own way. I get told I am miserable, a killjoy because I dont go outside, my family are not understanding and accuse me of just working too hard. I love winter so much and I can’t wait til it comes.around every year.

September 24, 2013 at 6:10 am
(48) Robert says:

Give me cool and cold weather anytime, absolute no thanks hot spring/summer! – The rather mild Sydney Winter has gone too soon…I experience reverse SAD symptoms as soon as the first heat in spring…Sydney already in the low 30′s in early Spring…I instantly feel real miserable and irritable, headaches, insomnia and hayfever sneezing, appetite drop, refuse shorts, I’m also introverted (Propably much unlike the pro-extrovert biased media)…Sweat like horses anyway, heavy sweat…I’m more or less stay indoors most of the time (or A/C shopping-centres)…Too bright sun, and too hot (much too hot)…I’m planning a move to Tasmania…To escape the awful black-dogging Sydney stink muggy and desert heat (There have been mid to high 40′s days in last summer (like desert), plenty in the mid 30′s and stink muggy!), , today has been hot again 31C, yuck!…My soul craves cool and cold climates…I remember in long days passed I slept like a bear with open doors in a Munich winter, headaches none, no depression blues, I often went out in the cold….Just a thick blanket and no heating I wouldn’t mind even going on a trip to Antarctica, Canada, New Zealand, anywhere where its cool and/or cold…Heat always makes me feel real miserable & depressed, not the cold…I love snow too…Bye bye heat!

October 7, 2013 at 4:59 pm
(49) Ellis says:

I definitely have Summer SAD. I’m glad to know I’m not the only person who feels this way. I don’t mind sunny days if it’s cool outside, but I feel at my best during overcast days or during the hours of darkness. I feel lively and alert. When it’s 70 and above, and sunny — I’m usually lethargic and rather sleepy.

October 28, 2013 at 3:40 pm
(50) rainy says:

I suffer from summer SAD and it took me a long time to figure out what was wrong with me. I become depressed on days that are bright and sunny with blue skies, yet feel like “myself” again when the days are cloudy or rainy. I have been tested for depression, anxiety, and a bunch of other issues, and have none of them. The only time I am depressed or anxious is when it is sunny, otherwise, I feel perfectly fine, healthy, and happy. I have found that the more consistent and back-to-back days of sun, the more terrible I feel. If there is a break of clouds or rain in between, it is as if I am able to recharge myself and feel more like myself for longer. There have been no traumatic events in my past associated with sunny days, as some people will ask (on the contrary, I have amazing memories with sunny days in my childhood). It is not because I like staying inside and not being active (I am a VERY active person, especially when it rains, and love outdoor activities!) It is not because I feel like when it is sunny everyone is outside having fun and I am inside (I am super social and am always open to fun stuff). And it is not because I have any body issues and in the cold weather, I wear less (believe me, I still swim in a bikini in cold weather and wear my skimpy Halloween costume even when it’s cold ;) . Basically, what I have is an actual chemical disposition towards days when the sun shines brightly and is not covered by clouds. It really sucks and I wish more research were being done on this illness :( .

February 18, 2014 at 1:15 pm
(51) Andleeb says:

I don’t know what going on with me since last 3 years At a peak of my Age 28 i feel my self very tired in day time and after sunset i become OK……………..wHAT IS This Going on Why i am inactive in DAY TIME………………………Anyone Plz tell me??????????/

March 4, 2014 at 11:25 am
(52) Rod says:

I suffer all sorts of symptoms every Springtime and have done for many years but recently each year for the past 5 years it has been getting worse and much harder to cope with. It usually starts as soon as we start to get a lovely springlike feel in the air such as a number of bright sunny days. I start to feel a sort of disassociation, I get colds or flu like symptoms with crushing tiredness and fatigue with weakness of muscles, sleep disturbance at night although could sleep all day and a horrible depression. As we move into late Spring early Summer the symptoms start to subside but I worry about them coming back each year as there is a noticeable increase in severity every time.

April 14, 2014 at 1:24 pm
(53) TomFors says:

I get this every year, have done ever since I was a kid. I’m not so bad early in the morning, in fact it is nice to have dry weather when I go for my walk, and I’m happy to just sit outside at night if its warm, but between 9 or 10 in the morning to say 8 at night I can’t bear to be outside. The heat is just one issue, its more that I feel overloaded and exposed or something, it’s dizzying and unpleasant in every way. But even if I’m in the house with the blinds drawn, any reminder of the sunshine makes me feel awful. Any day I’m not working (I work on a week on – week off basis) I don’t even go out until it starts to get dark.

I only go to the beach or camping when it gets to the autumn and things are getting a little bit cooler and darker, and even then I only really feel comfortable later in the evening.