61. "Save Your Goodbye" - Mike Posner
Posner uses the language on a love song in his lyrics in order speak about his depression. In an interview with Dose.ca
he explained: "I love tricking kids into listening to stuff like that. It's like you're reading Catcher in the Rye
, but you don't know it."
62. "Save Your Scissors" - City and ColourThere seems to be some disagreement about whether this song is actually about depression, but some interpret it as being about a person who feels unworthy of love, that they cannot be changed and no one should waste their time trying.
63. "Screaming Infidelities" - Dashboard ConfessionalThis song is about a boy whose girlfriend has been unfaithful, but he still loves her and feels depressed about her infidelity.
64. "Sink Into The Underground" - CKYRumored to be about pro skateboarder Brandon Novak, this song deals with severe depression and drug abuse.
65. "Slippin' Into Darkness" - War
War drummer Harold Brown told Songfacts.com
: "Howard (Scott, War guitarist) was working on some lyrics and he had this concept, thinking of how one could slip into darkness. Your mind could just go on, and you just go off to the left - you have to be careful, you have to say, 'Don't go there.' It's like that wall between sane and insane. We all figure we're sane, and once in a while we look past that wall, our head pops over and we look and we say, 'Here's Johnny.' I always like that. You look over there and you see certain things, and some of us have been known to go over there and stay, and there's some that pop their heads right back. Because that's just right on that borderline of sane, insane, and really close to being a genius."
66. "Something Is Squeezing My Skull" - MorrisseyMorrissey has battled depression since he was a teenager and this song appears to have been inspired by this.
67. "Sorrow" - FlyleafIn an interview with Christian Music Planet, lead singer Lacey Mosley said: "One of the ones I think is important to play is 'Sorrow.' That's because in our day and age, there is such a huge number of people who deal with depression, or know someone who deals with depression. In the Bible, it says, 'Jesus was a man of sorrow.' On the secular side, there are people who deal with depression because they feel empty. On the Christian side, there are people who deal with depression because they feel alone with their Christianity or because they mess up. That's the spirit we're combating when we play it. The promise in the end is, 'Joy will come.'"
68. "Sorrow" - The NationalLead singer Matt Berninger explained the song to Spinner UK: "'Sorrow' is, in some ways, a person's relationship with their own sadness. In many ways they have a very loving and needy relationship with their sadness. That one's maybe not particularly about me - it's a little bit about Bryan our drummer, it's a little bit about my brother."
69. "Strawberry Gashes" - Jack Off Jill"Strawberry Gashes" is a reference to cutting.
70. "Stuck Between Stations" - The Hold SteadyCraig Finn told Rolling Stone that this song arose from his awareness during a period of feeling better and wanting to take better care of himself that his change in mood might affect his creativity.