This page lists 80 songs about depression from the past several decades. Information has also been included about the background of the song, such as its inspiration or how it has been interpreted by others.
1. "After All" - Dar Williams
Ethan Miller /StaffCollection/Getty Images Entertainment
Speaking to American Songwriter
magazine in 2012, Dar Williams
described depression as "a winter machine that you go through and then, you catch your breath and winter starts again." This song describes her recovery from depression.
2. "Any Man in America" - Blue October
This is the title track from an album chronicling the events in singer Justin Furstenfeld's
life as he went through a custody battle over his daughter and ended up being admitted to a mental hospital following a breakdown on a plane.
3. "Beautiful World" - Carolina Liar
Chad Wolf explained the inspiration for this song - his friend's bipolar disorder
- in publicity materials for the band: "Every day when the sun came up, it was constant anxiety - something he couldn't deal with, yet here it comes every morning. It's like watching the news every day. Sometimes you have to lie to yourself and pretend that the world is a beautiful place, when what lies on the other side is just madness."
4. "Come Around" - Counting CrowsAdam Duritz
told Rolling Stone magazine: "'Come Around' is very much about you've come through all this s--t and everyone's still here. So let's go play. Let's go play rock & roll. It's not about life being fine. It's just that, it's not fine, and I'm still not going anywhere. My life in the '90s, it just didn't seem bad then. After the Millennium, things started to seem really darker to me in L.A."
5. "Crazy City" - Barclay James HarvestThis song expresses the need to get away from the stresses of modern life.
6. "Creep" - RadioheadThom York expresses feelings of being in love - but not feeling good enough for the other person - in this song.
7. "Crescent Noon" - The Carpenters
This piece by The Carpenters seems to refer to seasonal affective disorder
, a type of depression which is experienced mainly during the winter months.
9. "Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car" - U2There seems to be a bit of controversy about what this song was intended to mean, but reportedly Bono has said that it's a metaphor for Jesus saving people from their sins.
10. "Deliver Us from Evil" - Bullet For My ValentineIn an interview with Metal Hammer magazine, Matt Tuck said: "Lyrically, it is very dark. It's about the crap around my throat. How bitter and depressed I was that time, thinking that I will never be able to be the frontman of this band again because I didn't think I can sing."