From the article: What Are Cognitive Distortions?
Our thoughts are powerful things. In fact, a type of therapy called cognitive therapy is based on the idea that, we will feel happier if we replace our habitual negative thoughts with more positive ones. I've personally found the principles of cognitive therapy very helpful for redirecting negative thinking and eliminating depression. What strategies have worked best for you? Share Your Tips
- When I start getting down on myself "my life sucks i cant ever do anything right, nothing good will ever come out of me" I like to call a friend or my mom or my boyfriend so you can talk about what makes you depressed so you can work on fixing those things, and if you have the right people in your life it makes a HUGE difference. Your real friends will always help you when you down and out, then you feel good knowing you have some amazing people in your life.
- —Guest Shann
You are all very nice...
- It cheered me up reading all the kind people trying to help each other out!
- —Guest Rainbow seeker
Be Nice, Share and Listen
- People ask, how do you keep going against all odds? Mental illness adds negative pressure to those who are not to blame for their condition. A good trick is to focus on helping and serving others while maintaining 3 principles every day: 1. Keep positive by using PPA’s (Present-tense Positive Affirmations). Silence that “little voice within” by using the power of positive thinking and meditation. Do this by repeating aloud: a. If it’s to be, it’s up to me. b. I want to feel good. c. I like myself. 2. Focus on 3 key priorities; family, health and wealth. The order of importance will change depending on the day, but it always come down to focusing on these base elements. Remember health means exercise too. 3. Be humble because it’s about who you are, not what you know. Always, "Be Nice, Share and Listen
- —Guest Happy Jack
- I have no reason to go on!! I have NO family left alive, NO friends, I have NO support!! I'm alone!! 20 years of marriage ended over a text: "gone to live with the love of my life...see ya", bang marriage done!! I am COMPLETELY ALONE!! Why life, I wouldn't be missed by anyone?!?
- —Guest Widgett
- l've lost my wife, but tomorrow I go to be with her and I will be honest with her and and with the angels help we will stand together once more. Thank you all
- —Guest conan
look at things from a different perspect
- If you think about it you can't control events that happen TO you in your life, what you control is your reaction. This what defines you and when you let go of the fact that some things are out of your control it takes a lot of pressure off. How you react and the choices you make is what makes you as a person. In words of Dorothy Parker "you might aswell live".
- —Guest lisa97
Doing what you have passion about
- Learning to say the word, No to people is one way. Wake up in the am and do things that please you, possibly a hobby, drinking your favorite coffee, gazing at fabric, reading a book, or just nothing. I have met people that think depression is not a real thing. Some believe one can just say they won't depressed and then they won't. Such stupid humans
- —Guest always here
SUPREME SOUL Is Always Great
- i agree with good boy what he has posted earlier about this topic,yes god is always with us and caring us sen percent eventhough we wouldnt aware of him,see how great he is!,he is the permanent solution for any problem,so when u feel upset,just think about his grace and kindness what he had on us.humans might show the selfishness at any time,and they will expecting something from us excluding parents,but supreme soul(god) wont expect anything from us except our love,so try to melt your soul with the supreme soul through meditation.thanks for this opportunity brothers and sisters...
- —Guest Thilothama
- I find negative thinking starting up right after I wake in the morning. As soon as a negative thought starts in I make myself get up and get on with my day. Exercise of course is a huge help. Making myself take part of each day to do that is not so easy.
- —Guest Dinneen
At the end of my day
- My day sucks. Invariably. Without change or fault. Anyone who tries to help me says the same thing. "It will get better". "Do you know God?". And all these people in the comments, who have friends, have it a lot easier than the people, like me, who dont. What i found helps when nothing else does is turing on my Xbox 360, Popping in Halo, Getting on Firefight, Legendary, setting myself to be immune, and playing it. All those evil Aliens will be killed. Also, when its really bad.....I go to my 'Metal' section on my music. Turn it up. i turn it up until i cant hear the thoughts. In short, a good shooting game, where you wont lose, a bunch of helpless enemies, and some very good music helps me. Try it sometime, and remember, if the music isnt audible to anyone else in the house, turn it up. (i use Gaming Headsets. I prefer Tritons. (Turtle Beaches are also good. )) 7.1 Surround Sound......nothing better.
- —Guest WhatDoYOuCare
Talk to somebody
- The best way to handle depreesion is talk to somebody. 99.99% there is solution to each problem faced by us. Do not delay. This will help to reduce the dosage of treatment. Problems created by human being has solutions from human being only. Only our fear and anxiety leads to dealy and depression. Give a chance to life by talking about probem. this will help.
- —Guest Guest 1965
CW who cares
- RejectGirl, your post was such that you're resigned to life, such as it is. I want you to know it doesn't have to be that way. Life is about choices...if you don't like who you're hanging with, let them go and move on. there are supportive people out there who would like to be there for you..find them. It's not about distraction, it's about changing. Trade nonsupportive people for supportive ones; look really hard for the positive and concentrate on that. Sometimes a positive is simply not a negative. Good luck and hang in there.
- It is amazing to see that we are all here to help each other; here is a little hint about panic disorder, Stop concentrating on the panic disorder or anxiety, but your effort in finding why it’s there. Soon you will see a clearer picture. My god shine the light in your mind and for you see that from this you become a million times better, and stronger person forever.
Stopping negative thinking
- I PRAY and Talk to God, and I ask him to help me think and feel positive. And it works. He has helped me continiously. I feel great.
- —Guest Celeste Bell
Connect With My Body and Breathe
- One of the things that I do is allow the connection between what I am feeling and what is going on in my body. Usually there is some connection. When I find this, I breathe into it and allow myself to be there at that moment as an observer. Sometimes, it takes a few attempts especially if I am reluctant to change what is going on in my life. Usually the negative thinking has some other "energy" behind it and once you can identify that, you can move forward from it and harness it for good.
1-15 of 69Next