- My dad told me that taking one day at a time is sometimes even too much to bear. Sometimes you have to take one hour at a time.
Favorite Depression Quote...
- "Never take life serious, for you will know when to laugh." A man of children told me that at my worst depression time of my life, and yet that's what pulled me through and allowed me to move on.
- Told me be a psychologist: "Depression is anger directed inward."
- —Guest NMRed1000
I love sleep...
- "I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know." -Ernest Hemingway
- —Guest Tigger
- "Their smiling faces point out my inability to enjoy anything." -Ben Stone, a character in the movie "Knocked Up"
- —Guest Holly
Helena at Balance Whanganui
- I have two favourites. The first was said by a charge nurse in a hospital I favoured with my presence for some time. He said, "When you are going through hell - keep going!" The second is a very old saying, simple, but effective. "When you turn to the sunshine, your shadows fall behind," particularly apt for people recovering from depression!
- During those "black days", friends often try to rouse me from my self-imposed "house arrest". Often a line from a Woody Allen film pops to mind, when Diane Keaton was trying to convince Woody to join a Manhattan tennis club. Woody's response: " Why would I want to join a club, that would accept someone LIKE ME as a member?" When I inevitably laugh at that, I feel better already! If not, then WHY not, right?
- Mine include: "Depression is like a psychic freight train of roaring despair"- Tracy Thompson "There's the expression 'The lights are on and nobody's home'. With depression, the lights are off and somebody's definitely home". -- Unknown "Depression is like being swallowed whole from the inside out". -- my own
- —Guest Debbro
- "Creativity is the antithesis of depression. It is a way of saying that what I think and feel matters...Depression is not just an illness, but a failure of creativity. We all face the problem of creating meaning in our lives. When we're depressed, we've lost hope for meaning. We all need to make a delberate effort to make the self fertile; for the depressive, that effort is essential to life." Richard O'Connor, Undoing Depression
- "...rage turned inward." A clinical psychologist told me that once. It makes sense in my particular situation.
- "Listen, someone’s screaming in agony—fortunately I speak it fluently." –Spike Milligan, in The Goon Show
- —Guest michaelangelica
- "I have the true feeling of myself only when I am unbearably unhappy." –Franz Kafka, in his journal
- —Guest michaelangelica